It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surface Ship Torpedo Defence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Here's a new invention that the royal navy that has just entered service..

Developed by Middlesex based Ultra Electronics, SSTD will not only warn a ships Commanding Officer of any incoming threat, but will also advise the best course of action, from manoeuvring the ship away from danger to deploying acoustic decoys - also part of the SSTD system - which will lure a torpedo away from its original target.

This should be good against any sub threat and its not just warships getting this....

The £65million SSTD project will see up to 65 Royal Navy and Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels prepared to receive SSTD. Sixteen sets of the equipment are being procured which can be easily transferred between ships and will be fitted to appropriate vessels when they deploy on operations or exercise.

So our lads in the RFA are safer from the menace of sub threats.

www.royalnavy.mod.uk...
This is a great system and is already on the HMS westminster!
What do you lot think?

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wow 26 views and NO comment?
This sucks.......

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Cool maybe they can help the US with its torpedo defence system it is working on.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Jeez, that sounds like an awful lot of faith to put into software. I could understand the warning, but a suggested course of action? If it can do that, then why put your guys in danger at all? Just automate the ship with the new system.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
Jeez, that sounds like an awful lot of faith to put into software.

Its about equal with the phalanx and goal keeper systems.

I could understand the warning, but a suggested course of action? If it can do that, then why put your guys in danger at all? Just automate the ship with the new system.

Its only suggested , the officers still decide what happens.
Also automation is a bit far away, i mean supr tankers are heavily automated only 20 crew on it really.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Isnt there danger in having a computer come up with the best course of action?
Computers cant think unlike humans. Computers cant replace the human element in warfare.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Isnt there danger in having a computer come up with the best course of action?

No it only suggests doesnt actually perform.

Computers cant think unlike humans. Computers cant replace the human element in warfare.

They are logical and dont require te same ammount of needs we do.

posted on Jan, 28 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
devilwasp computers might be logical but they are unable to think in other words they only know what humans have programed into them.
What happens if a situation arises where the computer hasnt had the input to deal with the situation?

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I'm not impressed. It looks like a normal anti torpedo defense system. Maybe the sensors are more sensitive and the electronics is modernized, but what's new? Nothing. They should make some kind of antitorpedo projectiles (I think it is developed) able to destroy incoming torpedoes. The decoys are not 100% effective, but a conbination of decoys and such small fast torpedoes could really make the ships safe against submarine attacks.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Whilst it sounds good, advanced torpedos like the MK 48 would easily be able to distinguish between acoustic decoys etc. The newest generation of the MK 48 are referred to as brilliant not just a smart weapon.

www.fas.org...

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
devilwasp computers might be logical but they are unable to think in other words they only know what humans have programed into them.
What happens if a situation arises where the computer hasnt had the input to deal with the situation?

I dont think you understand, its not like it tells the PWO what to do but instead gives the information it has collected and a suggested course of action, it only suggests it to the captain it doesnt tell him what to do.
It still functions like a normal antisub net.

Originally posted by longbow
I'm not impressed. It looks like a normal anti torpedo defense system. Maybe the sensors are more sensitive and the electronics is modernized, but what's new? Nothing.

Well if its nothing new why did it get given best anti submarine defence in the world?
There are probably some other stuff hiden inside.

They should make some kind of antitorpedo projectiles (I think it is developed) able to destroy incoming torpedoes. The decoys are not 100% effective, but a conbination of decoys and such small fast torpedoes could really make the ships safe against submarine attacks.

Yeah, but that isnt here now.
It would make it safe but its not ready the now.

[edit on 29-1-2005 by devilwasp]

Am I the only guy here that thinks it is good?

[edit on 29-1-2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
Whilst it sounds good, advanced torpedos like the MK 48 would easily be able to distinguish between acoustic decoys etc. The newest generation of the MK 48 are referred to as brilliant not just a smart weapon.

I'm afraid all it says is that its an upgraded torp.
No "brilliant weapon" is mentioned there and doesnt say it can ID acoustic decoys.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Plus the fact the Mk48 is used by NATO countries, and I am sure the Royal Navy shouldn't worry about them

(well.....they might do if a US sub does what the Americans are famous for doing, but we hope that doesn't happen...)

Seems good, but most people on here seem to think that it actually tells the Captain what to do. Suggesting an appropriate course of action is alot different from actual doing it.

The Captains experience will eventually come through and decide what is best for the ship and its company.

posted on Jan, 29 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Let's face it, this system is hardly AI. Therefore a Captain's skills and experience would be what would really decide the course of action.

As for the MK 48, most of the information on the net is out of date.
I read a good article in Miltech magazine, outlining the upgrades of the MK 48 ADCAP. Unfortunately, all the inforamtion I can find oin the net is 10 years old.

new topics

top topics

join