It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steve Martin on Carrie Fisher: Can a Man Still Notice a Woman’s Beauty?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Most of us wouldn’t criticize a man mourning a friend, but most of us aren’t the politically correct thought police. Never shy about crashing a party — or a funeral — they reared their heads again when comedian Steve Martin paid tribute to his friend Carrie Fisher, who passed away Tuesday at the age of 60.

Martin’s trespass was to send a tweet stating, “When I was a young man, Carrie Fisher was the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. She turned out to be witty and bright as well.” The reaction was swift.

What sexism!

What misogyny!

What a pig!

What…what….

LINK

Martin told a little story with his tweet. He met her, he noticed her beauty first, he got to know her, he found out the rest of her was great too. Isn't that the only way relationships in the real world can happen? Everyone notices the physical appearance of someone else first. On the Internet it can happen differently, but that's not the story Martin was telling. He was telling the story that happened to him.

I suppose telling the truth can be too much for some politically correct thought police. That's one reason why I try to keep from even communicating with them.
edit on 2-1-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

"What sexism!

What misogyny!

What a pig!"

^ The real sicko's in this all. Getting so tired of these whiny F*'s.
Cant they dream up some other imaginary problem, one that is a bit less destructive at least?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
"Creature" is one of my favorite words to describe we humans. We're all creatures.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Only if both remain fully covered head to toe, and any physical contact is restricted to the elbow area, and are being blessed by the Pope, in the presence of a properly nationally certified general medical practicioner.

Maybe?

edit on 2/1/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

^New age Christians?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Also a good one!

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   

But seriously don't anyone of those sort of "people" every stop and realize that this is so insanely ridiculous and petty and to top it all of not even real. The "issues" they are "raising are not even present.

I put that in quotation marks because i simply have a hard time calling it issues and the raising thereof.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:15 AM
link   

What what !

What an awesome tribute !!

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone

^New age Christians?

I thought they were 'low-cost cosplayers' doing shadow stormtroopers from Star Wars?

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:18 AM
link   

No they were to keep the Muslim audience relevant ...

Or not ... 😎

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   

I'm a girl, and the fact that Mr Martin felt he had to delete his tweet breaks my heart!

The ultimate irony... The people complaining are the very people who can't possibly get to know how smart and caring another person is, because they can't stop self-indulging in constant criticism of others long enough.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

^New age Christians?

I thought they were 'low-cost cosplayers' doing shadow stormtroopers from Star Wars?

That just made me spit my coffee all over my desk not joking xDD

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CantStandIt

I'm a girl, and the fact that Mr Martin felt he had to delete his tweet breaks my heart!

The ultimate irony... The people complaining are the very people who can't possibly get to know how smart and caring another person is, because they can't stop self-indulging in constant criticism of others long enough.

I felt exactly the same way about it. I also wonder why they think it is better to delete their message. It only enables creatures like that to claim they were right about it all along, which obviousness they are not.

People should stop being so scared of this SJW BS and be proud to stand up to it. Let them call you a racist or a misogynist or whatever but no matter what even when they do you can still even get to be president of the united states!

The proof is in the pudding and there is nothing to lose and only to gain when we stand up against this.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   
He knew her and tweeted the truth.
Sod all those who attacked Martin...sure attack him because he aint that funny anymore but don't attack him when he is tweeting about his pal who has just died.
Plus as a child watching star wars for the first time I saw her beauty also...still do and what she wore in Jedi....badda bing!.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

People should stop being so scared of this SJW BS and be proud to stand up to it. Let them call you a racist or a misogynist or whatever but no matter what even when they do you can still even get to be president of the united states!

The proof is in the pudding and there is nothing to lose and only to gain when we stand up against this.

Its happening .... its happening in small ways, people ARE fed up!!

# Brexit?

# Trump?

Watch this space
Its happening

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
He knew her and tweeted the truth.
Sod all those who attacked Martin...sure attack him because he aint that funny anymore but don't attack him when he is tweeting about his pal who has just died.
Plus as a child watching star wars for the first time I saw her beauty also...still do and what she wore in Jedi....badda bing!.

It's an over-reaction, sure, but it also makes quite clear that Martin, whether he met her or not, didn't know her very well.

She added, "Youth and beauty are not accomplishments, they're the temporary happy byproducts of time and/or DNA." Neither, of course, have anything to do with talent but when have women been judged on talent alone? Especially in an industry such as Hollywood, known for its sexist standards against women, Fisher's speaking out was uncommonly bold.

And to the young actress Daisy Ridley who played Rey in The Force Awakens, Fisher offered advice that really seemed geared for every woman in the universe: "You should fight for your outfit," Fisher said — but then, making clear she really was talking about more than clothes, she added, "Don't be a slave like I was."

edition.cnn.com...

It always make me wonder what it says about us as a society that we find a woman enslaved and chained, as well as forced to wear what she considers to be demeaning clothes, so attractive.

Interesting one that.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Anaana

They were pals he hung out with her.

posted on Jan, 2 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

That's no indication he knew her well. I can only go by her own words.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join