It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Years..the first year I've had off in a longtime to celebrate..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   

(gif has nothing to do with the OP, except maybe a slight connection between dancing and New Years)

New Years..the first year I've had off in a longtime to celebrate .. and I am finding that I really don't know how to celebrate it. My sisters..they are going to the bar and I don't care to do that. Never been one for bars and such, just never was interested..

I could watch the ball drop (do they do that anymore?) Go to the movies, play video games (haven't played those in years) drink a bottle of wine and maybe whine while I do so about "the good old days"... haven't decided yet really..

Not much to do out here in no mans land.. but there is one tradition that I do every year. Five minutes before midnight I fill a bag with some money of various denominations and place it outside my door. And then at the final stroke of midnight, I bring that bag back over the threshold... to make sure I start the new year with money coming into the house.

Been doing that for many, many years now... and although it only is a symbolic gesture, I've found it hard to break the habit. Although I guess you aren''t suppose to break traditions anyways... that's why they are called traditions.

Anyone else have a tradition or some holiday happenings that they normally do for new years? Is there something I am supposed to be doing or is it just a regular day that doesn't even matter?

(again..nothing to do with this post at all...)

Well, no matter how I decide to celebrate mine, I hope you all have a wonderful, prosperous (however you interpret that word to mean) and Happy New Year.. and I hope it isn't like 2016..because, I don't know how it was for others, but this year was just sucky for me..

Thanks for reading,
blend57

edit on 31-12-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Blend happy New Year. I will be working today and tomorrow. I don't have much of a party going on. I do think your money bag is really cool.

Happy New Year!

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Jdennis10

I normally work as well..but I'm always home in time to do that tradition..just never get to celebrate before hand..this will be the first year in a very long time..as I said..we'll see what I decide to do..if anything.

Happy New Years to you as well!

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I work at PF Chang's and will be behind a hot Wok station all day and night. I will make it home just before midnight and will have not much to do.

Have a great Day!

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: blend57

Not much to do out here in no mans land.. but there is one tradition that I do every year. Five minutes before midnight I fill a bag with some money of various denominations and place it outside my door.

Address?

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

Go there...I put it in the bushes right outside the front door... very easy to find...

Happy new year Augustus...

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I am a Traditionalist, I try to start each New Year with kiss, or many kisses. It always makes me feel better.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I myself consider it another day of the year. Like I don't need valnetines day to show my wife I love her, I don't need a day to tell me to get drunk and make out.

But hey if you're into it I hope you find a way to praty and have a tonne of fun.

Oh well, any way, here goes another trip round the sun. Ever get that feeling life is all about going around in circles?

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
AtomicKangaroo

As I said in the beginning of the OP..not really looking for anything like that.. just basically seeing what else people do and wishing everyone a Happy New Year..curious as to how it is celebrated by others besides the obvious bar hopping and such.

So..Happy New Year to you and yours. Hope it is a good one for you!

Thanks,
blend57

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:06 PM
link   

ah, feng shui is a great way to start the new year. you got yourself a great ritual there. i might include that somehow in mine.

i'm also celebrating the asian new years. so i have an unusual anecdote. when it was the year of the dragon, i honoured it with presenting the dragon in my dragon corner in the garden with a jar full of water and with three two dollar coins in it.

years later i opened the jar and found twelve two dollar coins in the jar.

still don't know how that happened. my friends say it were my korean friends who like to through money to money rituals. i'm not so sure. i'd rather think it was the dragon who brings me good luck and fortunes.

as for 2017 that just started.... i care more for the first day of the year and spend the last days of the old year to prepare for that day. no fare wells from me.

i wish you a very good and joyous new year and thank you for your wishes

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
lucia2389

That is quite a story to have.. very nice and makes you wonder...thank you for being so kind as to share it. Your post has made me wonder how you prepare for the new year, I have never heard anyone say that before and am very curious as to what that involves...if it is not too intrusive of me to ask.

Looking up the Asian new year, the main results were all about the Chinese Zodiac..do you use the Chinese zodiac in your celebration/preparations for the new year? For instance, this year is the year of The Fire Rooster (2017) would you have any special traditions specifically surrounding that as you did for the year of the dragon?

Again, I do not wish to be intrusive.. so if you do not wish to share more I totally understand..

I guess I will just say thank you for sharing what you have and also wish you a Happy New Year as well..

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond..

edit on 31-12-2016 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Blend, have an Awesome New Years dude! You Rock & thanks for the little bird hah loved it!

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Hey lady!
I wonder what time it is where you are and what you've chosen to do.
I'm watching bowl games (typical) and am nursing a cold. Quiet night really as I'm saving money, or trying to rather.

I'll open my wine soon and toast with the girls at 12.
7 more hours for us!

Glad to see 2016 move along and am looking forward to the New. I think lol.

And ((hugs))

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   
TNMockingbird

Think I'm gonna just hang out, watch some movies, figure out the perfect recipe for conspiracy theorist popcorn.. don't feel like going out...you're right, save the cash for something better.. I had to look up what bowl games were..how embarrassing is that... but it sounds like a nice evening you have planned..

JesusXst

Glad you liked "the Bird" and found some value in it.. lol

Happy New Years to you both..

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   

LOL!

It's all good well, it was until Alabama won!

Conspiracy popcorn sounds good...secret ingredient?

I made peanut brittle over Christmas. We don't eat a lot of sweets so the girls look forward to that. I thought of making homemade crunch and munch or whatever it's called with popcorn and peanut brittle stuff in it.

Guess I'll sit here and read off and on...hopefully making it until 12

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 09:36 PM
link   
TNMockingbird

Hmm..conspiracy theory popcorn..I haven't worked it all out yet..but there is sort of a conspiracy that any popcorn that isn't organic is poisonous.. so, maybe it's already been invented.

If you like to snack on the occasional bag of microwave popcorn, it's probably the buttery flavoring that you crave. This comes from an artificial flavoring called diacetyl, which is a natural byproduct of fermentation found in butter, beer and vinegar... and also a chemical made synthetically by food companies because it gives foods that irresistible buttery flavor and aroma. Many companies who manufacture microwave popcorn have already stopped using the synthetic diacetyl because it's been linked to lung damage in people who work in their factories.
... more

Another problem is PFOA, a chemical that lines the bag. Dr. Oz said that 20 percent of this chemical in our bodies comes from microwave popcorn. It can cause thyroid issues, high cholesterol and bladder cancer.
more

It’s important to note that corn is on the “dirty dozen” list, meaning that it collects its fair share of pesticide chemicals when it’s not organic. Non of the mainstream brands use organic corn so you can be sure they contain harmful pesticides that contribute to the inflammation cascade. And remember, inflammation is the root of all disease.
more

So, I guess the first secret ingredient is to buy organic popcorn...and the next one is to use your own bag for popping it in the microwave..

The third may be to say its one flavor on the package when it's really something totally different inside..like vanilla flavored when its suppose to be white cheddar..dunno, I haven't worked it all out yet..

2 and 1/2 hours til new years and counting..

edit on 31-12-2016 by blend57 because: missed a word..no, I haven't been drinking ...

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Happy, happy blend!!!!!!

IMHO, I think NYE is a good time to spend close to home, away all of those who party too hearty...

We'll be at home tonight...and may not even be awake when the year changes....unless the damnable idiots set off their illegal fireworks in a residential area.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
DontTreadOnMe

I have found it to be quite a nice night to be at home as well. Probably the best thing to do..as you said. Happy New Year to you DTOM...and let me be the first to set off some fireworks to keep you awake (or wake you up)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: blend57
lucia2389

That is quite a story to have.. very nice and makes you wonder...thank you for being so kind as to share it. Your post has made me wonder how you prepare for the new year, I have never heard anyone say that before and am very curious as to what that involves...if it is not too intrusive of me to ask.

Looking up the Asian new year, the main results were all about the Chinese Zodiac..do you use the Chinese zodiac in your celebration/preparations for the new year? For instance, this year is the year of The Fire Rooster (2017) would you have any special traditions specifically surrounding that as you did for the year of the dragon?

Again, I do not wish to be intrusive.. so if you do not wish to share more I totally understand..

I guess I will just say thank you for sharing what you have and also wish you a Happy New Year as well..

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond..

gladly, i'll tell you how i celebrate new year the night before. i love your interest, so here it goes: eat little and think a lot about how good life is and look at everything in my life and in my garden with a grateful attitude. clean the house, have a face mask and retire early to bed. Then the New Year can't start better, with a smile on my face and anticipation in my heart.

as for the chinese new year, well, i'm only just giving it some thought now since you ask. i imagine they all like money, including the rooster, and we all so badly need it. i might light a fire outside under the stars and burn some fake money from china town. i'm sure i will sacrifice a note or two. add plenty of silver coins and chicken feathers. rooster feathers, if i get any, i would spare for next day to decorate. i imagine i will carry those ashes to a sacred spot on the property, not sure jet where, and will mix it with good compost and plant a fire colour blooming bush to it.

the location will have to be calculated with the recommendations of feng shui experts and then decided upon with a lot of intuition.

hope this will inspire you for lots of serious fun.

lucia

posted on Jan, 3 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Anyone else have a tradition or some holiday happenings that they normally do for new years? Is there something I am supposed to be doing or is it just a regular day that doesn't even matter?

There are some traditional foods that are supposed to be lucky. That's why you'll see them on sale at New Years...

Black-eyed peas
Corned Beef & Cabbage
etc.

While we normally do something kind of low-key with friends, this year, we went all VIP and went to this:
www.therooftopeve.com...

It was pretty cool, had our own cabana, own bartender, open bar, and geez...more eye candy than you can believe. Also, could see multiple fireworks displays around the city, from the rooftop. Very very cool....(and set our friends back a ways...but hey, happy for the free invite!)
edit on 3-1-2017 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join