It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Badge on a member's user ID-profile to denote current-prior Military Affiliation (optional)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I especially like that one. A part of me almost wishs that were required (but I really don't think requiring it would be a good idea). I've read people make claims inferring that we Americans are fed up or whatever, and sometimes I look back on their post history and find out they are from and are living in some other country. Plus it would help me place their comments in context.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I dislike the idea.
Some people are so rabidly anti military it would cause problems and you also open the door for all the Walts.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtEsquire

Read the full thread and you will understand why I added the line about it being fact.

Of course it's not a fact, it's my opinion.

You are free to have your opinion and feel free to believe I am 'uninformed'. If you don't agree with my beliefs and opinions I won't try to change you with force or murder or death or suppression or gung ho patriotism or metal weapons or propaganda...

Hits deep when you realise you're killing humans to put money in the pockets of evil bastards. Hits deep when you realise your patriotism is a fabricated pile of bs to keep you away from your family 9 months a year fighting for # all other than somebody else's American Dream, that somebody else is paying you peanuts and taxing the peanuts.

Then when you retire they won't give a # about your PTSD.

Lets agree to disagree here yeah? Because my ignorance is obviously your problem.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I vote for NOT deliberately hooking the site user registry directly into a military ID apparatus.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I agree with your first two paragraphs. I'm definitely not espousing the idea that we should take things at face value and in every field I can think of even highly regarded experts have opposing ideas, theories, and what they believe to be truth. But again, I think it would be helpful to me at least.

Thank you for your service! I too got in trouble in the military for asking too many questions of my superiors etc and I'm well aware that not everyone in the Armed Forces is brainwashed. In fact the units I served with were comprised of a very diverse set of people from all walks of life, nations, ideologies, religions, political affiliations etc. in fact it was first as a young Marine that I first started taking view points that were different from my own seriously (I was from a small community where most people have a lot of the same views on things so I wasn't really exposed to it on a personal level until the USMC).

As for your last paragraph, things have to make sense to me to before I believe/agree with it. I think everyone is like that. But there have been plenty things in my life where something was taught or explained to me that made complete sense to me only to then have something taught or explained to me that also made complete sense that was opposite to the first thing that made sense to me. That's why we keep searching for the truth. I'm NOT saying that I don't pay attention to what someone is saying because they aren't an expert or professional or whatever, I'm just saying that at least for me, if I feel like they have some experience or knowledge on the subject they are discussing, I will give it more thought.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well... my intent was definitely NOT to spark a debate on whether Military and those that currently serve or have served is right or wrong.

Nonetheless... I appreciate each and every one of your stances as fellow members. So thank you for that.. Both sides make great arguments as to why this would or would not be an acceptable addition to one's ATS profile.

I thoroughly LOVE the idea that stemmed from this post (I suppose credit goes to SecretKnowledge being that he/she initialized the idea per se, albeit sarcastic in nature imo, nevertheless, a really great idea) of allowing credentialed members (i.e. Doctors, Scientists, or otherwise Professionals in a given field conducive to the various forums that we have to chose from) to be able to have themselves verified.

I thought it was cool that Uber let Drivers share their military affiliation. If I was a rider, I feel I would likely be a little more trusting of a Driver who was a Veteran or currently serving and driving part-time to supplement the meager and well below median income that more often than not comes with one's enlistment.

I for one am proud of all our Active Duty members and Veterans alike.. you don't have to be, that's perfectly fine. This was simply an idea I felt like posting knowing full well that not everyone would be on-board (no pun intended).

So with that, I will leave with this, no matter your country, if you are actively serving or a veteran of your country's military...

I salute you and thank you for your service!
edit on 12/29/2016 by UberL33t because: typos

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Yea but the whole point I'm discussing is that I think it would be beneficial to have something other than people making claims with their avatars etc. I'm saying that it would be nice if they had to send something to ATS (if they want to have a specialty? Badge) indicating that they do have that experience. I'm not saying that it should be public. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't ATS allow you to log in using your LinkedIn or Facebook accounts? When someone wants the specialty? Badge they email a mod (maybe only allow it for members after they have reached a certain number of posts or whatever) indicating that they want the speciality badge and either give them the link where they can do a 10 second check or even put a screen shot in the email itself. Obviously people can claim whatever they want on their LinkedIn accounts but since those accounts usually are linked to friends, family, employers etc I think there is a reduced chance of them lying. I think this would allow people to retain their anonymity while at the same time giving their opinions on certain posts credibility.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

If it were put to a vote.. I'd be a Yes. I think that's a great idea.

To me..this would steer ATS away from the whole "Fake News" apparatus that is trying to gain ground.

E.G. AboveTopSecret.com Home of verified Subject Matter Experts.

If I recall... ATS has/had an SME system in place at one time. In this day and age of trying to decipher real stuff from propaganda & such.. a return of the SME badge/moniker would speak volumes with a number of subjects/forums on ATS imho.
edit on 12/29/2016 by UberL33t because: bbcode

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Wow.

Don't think I've ever had myself compared to a Nazi lunatic, and a crazed madman that's insane.

Thanks for saying how you really feel. I'll make sure to keep it in mind.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

A better case I couldn't make against this. Not that I hide that sort of thing.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Personally I don't think we need badges. Most vets I know don't brag about it.

I had a job. Did the job. Got to come home.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Meh, like I say, it's pretty obvious who's shining you on. Doesn't take a long time to get that 'what?' statement out of most fakers.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I assure you... I do not share that sentiment and I am sure most here would mirror that. I seemingly touched a nerve with this thread in a few folks.

I appreciate you!

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Wow.

Don't think I've ever had myself compared to a Nazi lunatic, and a crazed madman that's insane.

Thanks for saying how you really feel. I'll make sure to keep it in mind.

Me thinks you are being deliberately obtuse but just in case your not and actually missed my point Ill simplify for you.

The amount of good the US military does is nothing compared to the bad things it does and does not make it inherently good.
My Hitler and Manson comparisons were to highlight just because someone or something does something good it doesnt excuse all the evil it does.

I didnt compare anyone to Hitler I merely highlighted you wouldnt say he was a good guy because he did have a few redeeming features.

But as to how I really feel yes I see a comparison between Nazis and the average American soldier, in both examples you have for the most part good patriotic people who feel they are serving the best interests of their countries when in reality their patriotism and desire to protect were warped and manipulated into serving evil purposes by an elite and unseen upper class.

I know most soldiers are good people who believe they are doing good things but when you look at what has been accomplished in the name of what they represent it is inherently evil
edit on 29/12/2016 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Hey mate,

I appreciate your well thought out reply to me and although I disagree I respect where your coming from

I had planned to reply in full but feel I may have overstepped myself in this thread considering the OP.

I feel this could be a great discussion and if you or anyone else would like to start a thread on peoples thoughts on Military personnel and I would love to be involved.

The post Im replying to with a bit of editing would make a great basis for an OP and I see your yet to start any threads here, not even an intro thread.

If you wanted to make a thread I think it would be a great one and if you PM me Ill make sure Im one of the first in with my opinions

P.s I sent you a PM earlier, if you click on that envelope thingy at the top of the screen youll see it

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Right.

And again: I'll keep what you said in mind. You've made your feelings quite clear.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Attention Please

This thread is about "ATS Badge on a member's user ID-profile to denote current-prior Military Affiliation (optional)" and nothing else, including opinions about each other or each others life choices.

Please return to the topic or move on.

Do not reply to this message.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   

edit on 29-12-2016 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

As for your last paragraph, things have to make sense to me to before I believe/agree with it. I think everyone is like that. But there have been plenty things in my life where something was taught or explained to me that made complete sense to me only to then have something taught or explained to me that also made complete sense that was opposite to the first thing that made sense to me. That's why we keep searching for the truth.

I swear the older I get, the more of those "What the hell?!", moments I experience. I don't know if it is trying to make sense out of too much input in a too short of a time frame, or if with global exposure, fast and easy access to information, too much data manipulation, and ever changing norms, that poor old brain just can't keep up.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thanks for serving ....O P

That means he signed his name....
Giving his life away for country...while losing his rights in the constitution....

Thanks you sir...more than the high school fellowship....is the fellowship of that bunch.!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join