It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Badge on a member's user ID-profile to denote current-prior Military Affiliation (optional)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I drive for Uber and they give the option for Drivers to display a small badge to show Military affiliation on their profile that riders will see.

Uber uses the service ID.me (formerly TroopID.com) to verify one's service however the one major caveat I see with the following suggestion (of using this service at least) is that it appears to only apply to verification of U.S. service members.

I had the thought.. .oO(you know.. it'd be really cool to see this type of feature on ATS) however I realize that ATS's membership base is worldwide and any service member opting to display a Military Badge (in addition to the Writer, Fighter, Scholar list of member identifiers) as well as possibly even on their profile and/or mini-profile would need to be verified in some manner.

An off-the-cuff idea if a verification service is not in the budget would be to privately submit any associative documentation to Staff/Owners for proof (DD214, Military ID, etc.) to verify and thus add the badge to the member's user ID/profile who opted to proudly display it.

I for one am a proud Veteran and I feel it would be a unique identifier for our members that opted to have it displayed.

Thanks in advance for any consideration and I hope everyone has a Happy New Year!
edit on 12/29/2016 by UberL33t because: typos

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Why is this necessary or even a good thing?

Why not have badges that show gender, age, religious affiliation?

I get the impression you feel that Military service is something you should be proud of, I dont feel that way especially when it comes to the US military, I have no doubts all those who served had their hearts in the right place but the fact is the US military has done nothing in the past 50 years that was of benefit to the American people and has only served the NWO and military industrial complex

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: UberL33t
Why?
How about doctor's displaying some form of i.d.?
im sure they are proud of what they do.

Underneath your user name let us know you're a veteran.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

That's not a fact so...no.

@ OP - aside from having to share PII with the site, that's a neat idea.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
No way.

It's far more fun when people say they are vets and it comes to light that they read about the service on Wiki and their "deployment time" is mostly C.O.D. or FO3.

Thanks for your service though

(why would you give your 214 or ID to people you don't know in any way for a fake badge on a virtual site? It boggles the mind)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If a good cyber operator could lift member addresses then you dont want to specifically demarcate people for possible terror targeting most military types will tell you or have an avatar that gives you a good idea thats enough

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
How is it not a fact?
What war or conflict that has seen action and death from American soldiers since WW2 was in the best interests of the American people?

Genuinely curious as to what you think because I sincerely cant see 1 and actually see the opposite

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I did say optional... so there is no necessity

Being displayed is Good or Bad... that would be an individual opinion (as you so eloquently displayed in your view of at least the U.S. Military).

I don't like Cats or Pyramids... and I think your user ID is egotistical... (ETA: not a shot at you bigfatfurrytexan, LOVE your work!)

...but are you going to change either of them just because I don't like it?

I am sure there are plenty of people that are anti-military... but I also know that there are plenty that are pro military and thus support the men and women who serve(d) in their country's military.
edit on 12/29/2016 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
We are all equal at this round table

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

I think that would be a good idea. I also like the idea of being able to have a verified way of allowing people to show they are a Dr, or scientist or whatever. I don't say this just because I'm a proud Marine Vet (Semper fi) but i think it could be beneficial to know what someone's qualifications are when they post. Some people say what I think is stupid s&$t on here but if they had some sort of qualification for what they are saying, then it would certainly (at least in my case) lend extra credibility to what they are saying.

BTW, thanks for your service brother. Don't listen to (what I'm sure will be) the many negative posts regarding your service. They don't realize that the fact that they are even able to post their hate on sites like this is because of the sacrifice of the men and women in service.

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Your opinion on something doesn't make it a fact. Pretty much the end of the discussion on that front.

My opinion is different.

Also, you initially said "the US military" and now you're changing it to "what war or conflict" in an effort to be right. The military has done far more than just fight wars and conflicts in the last 50 years.

link   

This seems like a waste of effort on the part of the site owners. You can have the Army or Marine Corps or whatever seal you want to put as a part of your avatar or background. Why should the site owners feel a need to jump through these hoops?

I'm a veteran, too, and I'm not trying to shoot down the idea in a rude way, but it just seems unnecessary.

ETA: I'm already a member of ID.me, so it'd be easy for me to get the badge added to my profile, I just don't think that it's something that the site owners really would need to do for this type of a site. ID.me is generally used by companies selling a product or service.
edit on 29-12-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: SgtEsquire

I think that would be a good idea. I also like the idea of being able to have a verified way of allowing people to show they are a Dr, or scientist or whatever. I don't say this just because I'm a proud Marine Vet (Semper fi) but i think it could be beneficial to know what someone's qualifications are when they post. Some people say what I think is stupid s&$t on here but if they had some sort of qualification for what they are saying, then it would certainly (at least in my case) lend extra credibility to what they are saying.

BTW, thanks for your service brother. Don't listen to (what I'm sure will be) the many negative posts regarding your service. They don't realize that the fact that they are even able to post their hate on sites like this is because of the sacrifice of the men and women in service.

Thank you in return.. well said!

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Again.. optional.

..and I don't think there'd be a line out the door and down the street of members who chose to opt for it if it were to be brought to fruition.

Nevertheless, thank you for your service!

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've played every Battlefield game since the first one, I have ingame Veteran status therefore I would like to see this also displayed on my avatar and profile here.

I would accept a "King of Nerds" badge also.

link   
a reply to: SgtEsquire

I also like the idea of being able to have a verified way of allowing people to show they are a Dr, or scientist or whatever.

Excellent idea!

link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Yeah but they're an army. An army that for decades has been part of immoral interventions. The people in power push the idea of being proud to serve because if they told the whole truth NOBODY would serve.

Edit: That is a fact.
edit on 29-12-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I also served.........

........... my wife breakfast in bed this morning.

"Husband of the Year" badge?
edit on 29/12/2016 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Your opinion on something doesn't make it a fact. Pretty much the end of the discussion on that front.

My opinion is different.

Also, you initially said "the US military" and now you're changing it to "what war or conflict" in an effort to be right. The military has done far more than just fight wars and conflicts in the last 50 years.

I believe its a fact but am open to the possibility Im wrong.

Educate me, in the last 50 years how has the US military been a good thing for the US public?
Apart from the endless stream of overseas wars the only other thing of note I can think of was that time in the 60s-70s when they opened fire on all those protesters.

What am I missing?

P.s I didnt change anything, merely a different way of putting the exact same thing but once again if Im wrong Im open to being corrected

posted on Dec, 29 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Indeed, security is always a concern when exchanging PII electronically. I am sure SO & Springer could come up with a secure submission process though.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join