It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suit: Versace used secret 'code' for black customers

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
Damn. You really know you're Versace.

Sadly addicted clothes horse.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
I'd think a Versace is a very exclusive brand and this sort of behavior wouldn't have even a marginal affect on their sales. And almost everyone hates a narc -- even D410's.

Probably not, and the funny thing is they have, since the early 90's, had an appeal to both the rap scene and the urban client. There are pieces they produce every year targeted solely to that market segment.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: seasonal

Pretention alert.

I have been shopping at the 5th Ave store for some time, the sales associate who has been helping me the entire time is black. He was friends with Gianni and works with Donatella. Not buying this story.

It could be a store manager acting unilaterally but it is not a company-wide practice.

If he works with Donatella then I hope to hell he's got good mental health coverage on his insurance

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It wouldn't surprise me, however, I bet it is a local manager and not a corporate edict.

The reason it is probably true and what is left unmentioned in the article is that the store might have had some negative experience in dealing with young blacks. Black folks love us some Versace, Gucci, Louis, and other luxury brands. Especially broke ass hood rats who want to imitate their favorite rap star.

I can't tell you how many times I've been at one of these stores and you get say four or five teens/young adults come in to buy a belt or just some trinket and they are loud, obnoxious, etc. Not too mention credit card fraud being a huge street hustle now. We stick out like a sore thumb.

edit on 27-12-2016 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
If he works with Donatella then I hope to hell he's got good mental health coverage on his insurance

She's not that bad, she's at the point now where she cannot keep everyone's names straight and he has to remind her that he's been with the company for 25 years and that her brother hired him.

edit on 27-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I can't tell you how many times I've been at one of these stores and you get say four or five teens/young adults come in to buy a belt or just some trinket and they are loud, obnoxious, etc. Not too mention credit card fraud being a huge street hustle now. We stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm friends with the Paramus Versace boutique manager and she had to hire full time security to stop the grab and runs taking place almost daily.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Lol I was thinking the same

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

"D" stands for "Darth" and he always wears black.

(That's where it comes from)

The guy suing is a loon.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

And who does his voice?

Conspiracy confirmed.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Back in my day, late 80s and 90s, I practically lived at Donatella and Paul Becks mansion in Milan. Donnatella is a pretty cool woman, liked to chain smoke her Marlboros though, which probably lead to the excessive surgey, that and her and Pauls divorce I suspect.

Shes a good person at heart in my experience, but one tough cookie, if ya piss her off.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

tbh I have only owned Versace driving shoes, so I'm not an expert on Versace clothing lines. I tend to buy more along the lines of Robert Graham. What are the pieces they produce targeting urban youth? Track suits starting at $700? ;-p

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

What are the pieces they produce targeting urban youth? Track suits starting at $700? ;-p

Belts, sneakers, fashion jewelry and tees.

edit on 27-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
It's possible they did have this code.
Plenty of stories of waitresses even black ones complaining and sighing when a black customer comes in.
There is also all those racist businesses who put their business in a black neighborhood and then bar the doors and put glass between clerk and customer.

Was it the reason for his termination. Doubtful.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

tbh I have only owned Versace driving shoes, so I'm not an expert on Versace clothing lines. I tend to buy more along the lines of Robert Graham. What are the pieces they produce targeting urban youth? Track suits starting at $700? ;-p

The thing is they aren't actually targeting urban youth. At least they weren't initially. No one in Hip Hop was on Versace till Puffy & Big started wearing it. Now it is kind of the thing to wear if you want to show off your money.

It is kind of funny. Hip hop embraces a lot of brands that really want nothing to do with urban youth.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

No one in Hip Hop was on Versace till Puffy & Big started wearing it.

Don't forget Tupac, he was wearing it before any of them.

edit on 27-12-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No one in Hip Hop was on Versace till Puffy & Big started wearing it.

Don't forget Tupac, he was wearing it before just about any of them.

They were about the same time. Puffy / Big really promoted it though. All of Puffy's artist were on promoting high dollar boutique stuff. Lil Kim too. Verse after verse.

Gucci has always been a staple in hip hop fashion though. LV too.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

They were about the same time.

Tupac was personal friends with Gianni who often gave him pieces for free, him wearing them inspired everyone else in the industry to get into the brand.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   
They also had a code for when white people came in.. Cracker.
Yup, everytime a white person came in they yelled CRACKER!!!! We always thought they were having chili for lunch and was looking for some saltines.... little did we know the sinister truth.

Having a code identifying what nationality customer walks in is not racist.... its marketing. If they had a code for a muslim, would it not let the salespeople know which items to pitch, which section of the store to avoid..... which person is best suited to handle the customer. You know, a black sales person waiting on a black customer is more likely to end in a sale....and that is good for business

It's only racism if service was refused based on race..... Sorry we dont serve kneegars in our store is racist. This whole nonstory is just someone stirring up unnecessary strife where there shouldnt be any

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran

I don't know if they had codes for every ethnicity.

But according to the story they had codes for black people.

And I would imagine that the sales staff had eyes that work, and a mouth to talk up the customer to see what they are looking for.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'll say I don't think versace cares what color your skin is only what color your credit card is. No gold card no service lol.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join