It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suit: Versace used secret 'code' for black customers

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Zimnydran

Are you acting like this is used to identify the customer, are we to believe that the service personal can't ID the customers ethnicity?

What exactly is the codes for, if the service people can see and think?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Ahhhh Versace, ...says that super fashion label uses a code when Black customers enter the store.

This is most likely a local practice.

People concerned about making money, tailor their sales practices to the local environment.

They hire locals, who know their environment. And those locals establish the practice that they believe will help to promote more sales, so they get bigger bonuses.

If the local society discriminates against people because of some factors, the local store will likely incorporate that same discrimination into the code of conduct for the store, to facilitate sales, and keep the "right" buying customers happy and coming back into the store.

So, if this store is in a largely white neighborhood, where the customers expectation is that only white people have money to buy luxury goods, and most of the non-whites are not rich enough to spend there, the few non-whites that have the money and enter the store, will simply be subject to the "negative expectations" of the sales staff.

White people shopping there, may not "feel special" and "important", if anybody can shop in their store, and may stop shopping there, if they see lots of non-whites in the store, which is contrary to what they see in the environment outside the store.

Luxury goods are all about "image."

People want to buy luxury goods, to make themselves look rich. It has no other value.

A luxury car will drive the same distance to and from work as an ordinary car. So, why pay the extra price for the luxury? It's image.

People look to see what other people have, and will pay a higher price for things they think will raise their image, by associating themselves with others who are rich.

Since in some neighborhoods, the majority of rich people are white, there's going to be a bias there. In Peru, the rich people were often Japanese, and the ordinary folks of local native Indian descent go to get surgical operations on their eyes to look more Japanese, like the ruling class. That's because when they walk into a store, they get better treatment if they look like a descendant from Japan.

In some ancient civilizations the people "bound the heads" of young children to create "cone-head" shaped skulls, to match the look of the ruling class (probably Aliens), again to get the special treatment from looking like the rich.

So, it's not really a "white vs non-white" issue. It depends on the local environment. And this practice has been with us for thousands of years.

People discriminate "visually" all the time.

Thank God for the Internet. All shopping on-line is free from this type of discrimination.

As people stop shopping in stores, and move to buying things on-line, this problem will vanish along with the stores.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I think that the store in question is a one off.

There are three outlet stores, this is one of them.

IF true, there is going to be a law suit to settle this whole thing.

Even if not true it will most likely be settled with some sort of payout, it's sadly cheaper to do that then litigate.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zimnydran
Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree..... I think this is what "business' in general has evolved into.... and we just get little glimpses here and there because it has gotten so bad it spills out on the floor every now and again

A potentially rogue store manager is not even on the same plane as a systemic, executive-drive program to defraud 1,000's of customers.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Only about 200, or so, was for me. The rest was Christmas presents. My evil ex still carries the hand bag I bought her. Amuses me no end when I see her carrying it...won't have anything to do with me (thank god!!!), but that bag will never leave her side...though she may have had an exorcism performed on it... Yeah, the parting wasn't what one could call amicable...

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

I still think that the sales staff can recognize someone who is black. So what would the code be for?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zimnydran
...and it also wouldnt surprise me if that help was tailored to effect greater chance to "make the sale"...... with some folks getting waited on by the store manager himself....

Correct on both.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Only about 200, or so, was for me. The rest was Christmas presents. My evil ex still carries the hand bag I bought her. Amuses me no end when I see her carrying it...won't have anything to do with me (thank god!!!), but that bag will never leave her side...though she may have had an exorcism performed on it... Yeah, the parting wasn't what one could call amicable...

Hhmmmm..... I get this terrible feeling we were married to the same "wonderful human being"

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I still think that the sales staff can recognize someone who is black. So what would the code be for?

Not all staff will see the person at the same time. It's an alert to "all staff" to be prepared "psychologically" for the "black person encounter". A reminder to treat that person in a certain way, lest they forget.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Used to be shopping while black didn't need code words.
Just a couple people who try to seem interested in something in the same aisle that you are in.
Simpler times.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Are you saying this is a verbal thing that is said out loud? Or is it texted to the sales people?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

LOL you spend mega bucks on a luxury brand to wear them at knee level - and a loose belt to match.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Are you saying this is a verbal thing that is said out loud? Or is it texted to the sales people?

That depends on the store.

Most stores don't text the info silently, they'll call out some code over the PA system, because the staff aren't really looking at their text messages all the time, but will hear the announcement immediately.

So, the usual practice is just to use the loud speakers as if calling staff to help in some isle or something.

The customers don't usually know what's going on, but the staff do.

As far as the customer is concerned, staff is being alerted to someone in need of help somewhere in the store, or in the back-room with the stock, and these "codes" are for staff to know what type of help of situation is involved.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

And you contend this is a practice that is more common than we know?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

And you contend this is a practice that is more common than we know?

I think the practice is very common. I don't think it's unusual at all.

I don't think there's any "universal code". But I think each store develops its own codes for various things like this.

So, you can't use one store's codes to figure out what's going on in a different store.

But if you investigate it, I can guarantee you'll find out this is happening all around the nation.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH
Most stores don't text the info silently, they'll call out some code over the PA system, because the staff aren't really looking at their text messages all the time, but will hear the announcement immediately.

Only issue is the merchant in the Original Post is a luxury goods manufacturer and you are not going to hear anything come over the store's speakers other then music.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Only issue is the merchant in the Original Post is a luxury goods manufacturer and you are not going to hear anything come over the store's speakers other then music.

So, the music can be the code.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Good point, there isn't any clean up in isle 7 or Dave is lost and he is at the service desk going over the intercom.

I don't think this is wide spread.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

So, the music can be the code.

Right, when you here that techno tune that sounds like that other techno tune it means, 'Black guy in the hizzie'.

Makes total sense.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Good point, there isn't any clean up in isle 7 or Dave is lost and he is at the service desk going over the intercom.

No, that is part of the marketing appeal.

I don't think this is wide spread.

Neither do I.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join