It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I underestimated wisdom tooth extraction

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
At 34, I've waited longer than most folks to have my wisdom teeth extracted. I had all four pulled two days ago. There were all impacted.

The last 48 hours has been a blur of fragmented, erratic, fitful sleep (thanks to the meds), cursing myself for putting the procedure on the back burner for so many years, and half-consumed Ensure nutrition shakes.

The oral surgeon told me in a consultation several weeks ago that I should plan on laying low for a week or so. I was firmly decided (so I thought) that it was going to be no big deal, that I would get on with daily life immediately, and that I wasn't going to need the oxycodone which was prescribed. (I have a history of compulsive substance abuse and avoid opioid medications like plague.) And as you might guess by the language I'm using, I struck out on all three counts.

I'm essentially bedridden, and I'm not sure, but I think that I might be developing an infection in one of the sockets. The swelling has gone down considerably on the right side, but the left is still massively swollen, tender to the touch.

I've done lots of reading online about recovery from the surgery, and all its doing is making me feel expectant of the worst. Does anyone have a personal story about wisdom tooth extraction that ends happily (i.e., no infections or dry sockets)? I need a pick-me-up like never before.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my ATS brothers and sisters.
edit on 24-12-2016 by MiddleInitial because: Grammer, clarity

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: MiddleInitial

No horror story here.
But yeah you waited to long. That makes it much harder.
In this case drugs are your friend.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I'm 52 and I pulled out the last one of those by myself when it got loose couple of months ago.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

You are a true man indeed! It simply came loose?!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The procedure was first recommended probably 15 years ago, and intermittently since then. Whenever a dentist brought it up, I'd ask "Is it an emergency?" and as long as the dentist replied in the negative, I put it off. Oops!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInitial
At 34, I've waited longer than most folks to have my wisdom teeth extracted. I had all four pulled two days ago. There were all impacted.

The last 48 hours has been a blur of fragmented, erratic, fitful sleep (thanks to the meds), cursing myself for putting the procedure on the back burner for so many years, and half-consumed Ensure nutrition shakes.

The oral surgeon told me in a consultation several weeks ago that I should plan on laying low for a week or so. I was firmly decided (so I thought) that it was going to be no big deal, that I would get on with daily life immediately, and that I wasn't going to need the oxycodone which was prescribed. (I have a history of compulsive substance abuse and avoid opioid medications like plague.) And as you might guess by the language I'm using, I struck out on all three counts.

I'm essentially bedridden, and I'm not sure, but I think that I might be developing an infection in one of the sockets. The swelling has gone down considerably on the right side, but the left is still massively swollen, tender to the touch.

I've done lots of reading online about recovery from the surgery, and all its doing is making me feel expectant of the worst. Does anyone have a personal story about wisdom tooth extraction that ends happily (i.e., no infections or dry sockets)? I need a pick-me-up like never before.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my ATS brothers and sisters.

Hey there I have a Story

I was put under general (put to sleep) and had all 4 of mine done at once! so I can't speak for what's it's like being awake.

After the procedure I developed an infection called 'dry socket' (google it) and it was quite possibly the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life! However don't panic it was my fault entirely as I smoked a cigarette immediately after the procedure when I woke up (something they strongly advise you not to do)

The reason I'm telling you my story is because infection aside. When I healed up I can't begin to tell you the relief you feel and how beautiful my mouth felt after all them years of pain with wisdom teeth!

You will most likely avoid infection as your probably not as stupid as me! But have the extraction done and I can assure you that you will never ever look back

EDIT: APOLOGIES, I did not read the beginning part of the OP properly! Judging by what your describing it does indeed sound like dry socket! If it is then you need to get cloves! It tastes disgusting but it works ... however unless your in serious pain then it's probably just normal swelling

edit on 24/12/2016 by fusiondoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Yeah, one day I was enjoying a nice steak and felt a whole lotta pain in one bite. Suffered few weeks trying to chew with one side, waiting for the moment that sucker got loose enough. No infection, not too much bleeding.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm around your age but still having to wait due to an impacted teeth appointment hassle that comes with living so damn far off from dental surgeons. Thanks for the concern.

I agree with it shouldn't underestimate it. For me with the first side of non impact wisdoms, it was more of a breeze than what these will be for sure. The stitches were dissolving ones so that helped a lot and it seemed to heal quite fast.

If you really do feel like an infection is coming on make sure to have that checked out as it can spread to the bone and can be pretty worrying.

Holiday wishes!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

After the procedure I developed an infection called 'dry socket' (google it) and it was quite possibly the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life! However don't panic it was my fault entirely as I smoked a cigarette immediately after the procedure when I woke up (something they strongly advise you not to do)

The reason I'm telling you my story is because infection aside. When I healed up I can't begin to tell you the relief you feel and how beautiful my mouth felt after all them years of pain with wisdom teeth

I gave up smoking three months ago and started using "snus", a Swedish upper lip snuff. Partly because of health reasons, partly because I'm a semi-serious singer, and partly in anticipation of the procedure.

I've heard people say similar things about how they had no idea that they were walking around so uncomfortable for so long with the teeth in, and the wonderful feeling of having them out. I'm gonna try to keep my eye on that prize! Thanks for dropping by.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Ahh memories. I got all 4 of mine pulled while I was in bootcamp. I fell asleep in the chair during the procedure and they had to wake me up at one point so I could help keep my mouth open.

You got no sleep in bootcamp and it was nice having 2 days off afterwards. I remember it hurt afterwards but I wasn't allowed to smoke and I didn't use straws while in there so everything went fine.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe

I hadn't read about cloves...do you just bite down on it? Thanks for the tip!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I was in college when I had my wisdom teeth taken out. The first 3 came out very easy with pliers. Dr. Rothenberg assured me using pliers was the right tool. The fourth and final one was impacted. He worked and worked. I saw sweat on his brow. I need a second Novocain shot. And then a third. The pain was incredible! But Dr. Rothenberg was not going to give up. And then the tooth finally started to give the pain was so intense everything went white. And for a brief moment I was with God! And then reality returned and Dr. Rothenberg was smiling with the tooth firmly held with the pliers.

He said to me with a very heavy Jewish accent, "David, David, David! Why didn't you come to me sooner?? Accchhhh, oy vey!!"

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

The reason I'm telling you my story is because infection aside. When I healed up I can't begin to tell you the relief you feel and how beautiful my mouth felt after all them years of pain with wisdom teeth

I gave up smoking three months ago and started using "snus", a Swedish upper lip snuff. Partly because of health reasons, partly because I'm a semi-serious singer, and partly in anticipation of the procedure.

I've heard people say similar things about how they had no idea that they were walking around so uncomfortable for so long with the teeth in, and the wonderful feeling of having them out. I'm gonna try to keep my eye on that prize! Thanks for dropping by.

Honestly It is so true... once the stitches heal up where your wisdom teeth were and you start to eat food and there's no pain! I could honestly have jumped up and punched the air!

Amazing feeling once they are healed! Worth every second

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear of such a bad experience. Yeah DO NOT SMOKE afterwards, as a poster mentioned "dry socket".

I had three pulled within a week at 38, they were all in some form rotted to the core. Two had been rotten from before they exposed themselves. Two were done normally within 45 minutes, bits and pieces were involved. From what I believe to be a skilled dentist. He was a magician. I have no fear of needles, yet this guy had Houdini blood, I never knew he shot me with Novocain. I know he mentioned a slight pinch(i never felt), and proceeded to pull a few minutes later,,...I was like" where's the Novocain?" his response " I already gave it to you!?"... he even showed my how he palmed the syringe and distracted me, I was impressed.
Then the third "had to be extracted surgically" i was told...that the whole procedure lasted 20 minutes max, i waited longer for the anesthetics to set in, than the extraction..i walked out in 45 minutes. Call me lucky I guess.

I still have one left without it's opposing mate, bitch to clean that one.

ETA, The relief from the pain...MAGICAL. I realized afterwards I was an ASSH#LE to everyone while I was in pain, then proceeded to apologize to everyone. I think infections that close to the brain affects your psyche.
edit on 12/24/2016 by jappee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

a reply to: fusiondoe

I hadn't read about cloves...do you just bite down on it? Thanks for the tip!
Sorry let explain.

Basically when I had dry socket the dentist took a gauze and soaked it in cloves and placed the gauze into the 'hole' where my tooth was and it was instant pain relief, also covering the hole so it could heal.

I am sure if you google it there would be more information but I tell you it worked almost instantly pain wise!

Pretty nasty having the taste of cloves in your mouth for three days, but with pain like that i couldn't have cared less!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I trust that nitrous oxide or something else put you to sleep, either that or you are the finest soldier this country ever raised!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I knew a guy who died of lip cancers from chewing tobacco. It was bad. I would not get hooked on snus either if I were you.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I've never had any gas, always the needle of Novocaine! Getting needled was the worst part of it all as it was pushed into my nerve and injected That sucked!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I knew a guy who died of lip cancers from chewing tobacco. It was bad. I would not get hooked on snus either if I were you.

I also know a lady who smoked 60 a day for 50 years and died of natural causes.

Luck of the draw my friend, luck of the draw.

Although I have always wondered how anybody can stomach Chewing Tobacco, it tastes horrible IMO
edit on 24/12/2016 by fusiondoe because: Error

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

My surgeon, a Romanian (educated guess), was very good during the procedure. He kept saying things like "You see ees really nothing", "You are being very strong". It was funny in a way, but it probably helped a ton.

Would have loved it if I had a moment with God!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join