It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three month old baby dies two days from Xmas - Dropped on head

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   

A three-month-old boy has tragically died in hospital just two days before Christmas after he was allegedly dropped by a babysitter. Reece Modzelewski was taken off life support on Friday, three days after he suffered the injuries while he was being watched by a female family member. The babysitter told police the infant "accidentally fell from her arms" and landed on his head on the floor. Before he died his parents, Mark Modzelewski, 32, and Nicole Nicastro, 34, told of their anguish after making the heartbreaking decision to take their son off life support.

Link to article

Sorry to depress you all before Xmas but whilst we all tuck into our Xmas dinners and sip our egg nog...I think it's only right we all stop and spare a thought for these poor people and their little boy

Very sad. RIP baby boy

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe

At 3 months, no one would hold my baby other than myself, ex husband and possibly the 2 grandmothers. I did have doctors stretch the truth for me, though, so I could stay home from work longer than is normally allowed in the US.
Many don't have that option.

When my daughter was closer to 5 months old, I was holding her in a wrapped blanket while I was standing up in the kitchen. I reached for something on a table. I felt her start to slip, head first. I stood straight up fast enough, but the feeling never leaves me. That she could have fallen right out.

It is an awfully sad story that could happen to anyone.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:08 PM
link   
christmas is 3 hours away lets share an article about a baby been dropped on it head and drying.

I bet you are a serious laugh party's

**slow clap**

**leaves**

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlackSkinhead
christmas is 3 hours away lets share an article about a baby been dropped on it head and drying.

**slow clap**

**leaves**

Nobody forced you to read it?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   

That's sad.

Being honest it's my biggest fear around babies and is for many others too, they are so fragile. I never held my nephew till he was about 8 months old.

Tragic.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I fell asleep on the bed in the early evening once when my daughter was about 7 months old, already crawling. I nodded maybe 20 minutes. I woke up and she wasn't there. I panicked!!!! I looked under blankets...silly as she was a good sized baby.

I leaned over and looked under the bed. She was crawling under it. I said 'LaLa!!!! (my baby name for her) What are you doing???" She says, "ba da ba, hah ha ha. AH!" Well, I guess that was my answer.

I am glad the bed was not a high one.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I fell asleep on the bed in the early evening once when my daughter was about 7 months old, already crawling. I nodded maybe 20 minutes. I woke up and she wasn't there. I panicked!!!! I looked under blankets...silly as she was a good sized baby.

I leaned over and looked under the bed. She was crawling under it. I said 'LaLa!!!! (my baby name for her) What are you doing???" She says, "ba da ba, hah ha ha. AH!" Well, I guess that was my answer.

I am glad the bed was not a high one.

Similar situation with my eldest daughter.

When she was a baby she managed to climb out of her cot/crib one night resulting in a resounding THUD on the floor waking me and the good lady up.

Thankfully she was absolutely fine and like most babies, looked up at us, blew a raspberry and laughed. But a lesson was learned. Lower the crib.

We were very young first time parents. We now have 2 daughters and know better
edit on 24/12/2016 by fusiondoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

They are really less fragile than one thinks. Their bones are less inclined to break than an adult's. Even at 3, not fully formed. My daughter broke a bone in her arm when she was 3 and it took me hours to notice, as she wasn't complaining and she couldn't fully describe what happened. I was in the kitchen, she poured hot chocolate on the dining table and decided to dance on it. She slipped, but it seems, remained on the table. I came in and only saw the mess.

But the horrible accident that is in the OP can happen.
My sympathies to the mother.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Oh haha, at least she found it funny.

I'll be grey in weeks if/when I have kids, probably bald after a few months. You reminded me of when I rolled down the stairs at about 2 years old, I found it hilarious at the time and wanted to do it again... I wasn't allowed.

Once they start moving they are dangerous little so and so's, they don't care at all and it's all hilarious.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

**slow clap**

**leaves**

How does it being so close to Christmas make this any more tragic?
This would suck just as much any other day.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

My mother tells me I climbed out of the crib well before 2. She attempted to attach pillows to the top of the crib rail in various ways, never stopped me.

I worked 2nd shift when my daughter was nearing 2. I would put her down for her nap waiting for my ex to come home from work.

One day, I was blow drying my hair and she comes toddling into the bathroom. I was shocked. LOL At that point, I got a toddler bed with a net rail.

It happens much earlier than anyone suspects it. I think she climbed and didn't fall as I later witnessed her 'procedure', but I will never know about the first time.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

They definitely are resilient, it's the head you really need to look after I was always told.

Everything else is flexible, babies and the toddlers really are built of different stuff.

Bones not fully formed or fused together etc.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

That is correct. They are cunning! That is why people compare 'the terrible 2s' to 'young teens'. Not sure which is worse on the scale of being cunning and wanting to scare you.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

My daughter was a little more than a year old when I caught her running on the couch and flipping over the arm rest landing on the floor giggling. Scared the hell out of me.
Hard to get her to stop that one....ugg

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

My mother tells me I climbed out of the crib well before 2. She attempted to attach pillows to the top of the crib rail in various ways, never stopped me.

I worked 2nd shift when my daughter was nearing 2. I would put her down for her nap waiting for my ex to come home from work.

One day, I was blow drying my hair and she comes toddling into the bathroom. I was shocked. LOL At that point, I got a toddler bed with a net rail.

It happens much earlier than anyone suspects it. I think she climbed and didn't fall as I later witnessed her 'procedure', but I will never know about the first time.

Cunning is the correct word indeed!

I sometimes think it's all an act and that the film 'Look who's Talking' is actually a documentary

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Yep!

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

**slow clap**

**leaves**

How does it being so close to Christmas make this any more tragic?
This would suck just as much any other day.

I didn't say anything about it been more tragic, merely having a laugh about the timing of such an article.

?

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It's tragic to have something like this happen. A baby can be dropped, it does happen once in a while. I can't judge this one at all, the baby sitter could have tripped or just had an accident. Things happen like this now and then.

I feel sorry for the parents, I bet they feel really bad. I feel sorry for the baby sitter if the sitter just had an accident, the baby sitter will have to go through life knowing she/he was responsible for that child's death.

posted on Dec, 24 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Very tragic indeed, for everyone involved.

But as a fresh grandfather (6+ months) I can attest that the little ones slip down a bit over time while holding them so you have to readjust the way you hold them, pull the up again into position now and then. But to drop it, it´s either tripping or poor experience with handling a baby. If it did roll from the couch or something similar, then I´d say, never leave a baby without a sufficent barrier on something that is higher than 5cm or not on the floor.
edit on 24-12-2016 by verschickter because: fixed gramatical error

new topics

top topics

join