It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Student Earns 4.0 GPA,Then Drops Out: "You Are Being Scammed!"

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well at lease some college students are catching on to the "education industrial complex" scam of the century. Average income x5, average education cost x18. Yes people, if you are not getting a targeted degree for a specific "real" career (not 1 in 1,000 actually makes money), then you are being conned. There is a reason you cannot use bankruptcy to get rid of student loan debt.

The cards are stacked.

themindunleashed.com...

YOU ARE BEING SCAMMED. You may not see it today or tomorrow, but you will see it some day. Heck you may have already seen it if you’ve been through college. You are being put thousands into debt to learn things you will never even use. Wasting 4 years of your life to be stuck at a paycheck that grows slower than the rate of inflation.

Paying $200 for a $6 textbook. Being taught by teacher’s who have never done what they’re teaching. Average income has increased 5x over the last 40 years while cost of college has increased 18x.

You’re spending thousands of dollars to learn information you won’t ever even use just to get a piece of paper. I once even had an engineer tell me “I learned more in my first 30 days working than in my 5 years of college.” What does that tell you about this system? There are about a million more ways you’re being scammed into this.. just watch the video i’m gonna comment if you want to see more.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

He's right. School system is a failure. More like a networking/social center instead of education center
edit on 22-12-2016 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElOmen

He's right. School system is a failure. More like a networking/social center instead of education center

Was the line not something like,

You have spent thousands on a education you could have got for free at the local library..

The number of home schoolers is on the rise and young adults are starting to see that the system truly is a racket, get on YouTube and make $40000 a month with cat videos....

RA

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

College can help you get a job but after that its all up to you what you do with that job.

Somethings can only be learned by living.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   
It is a scam in that government has created a system that has caused a tuition bubble but it doesn't mean everyone should drop out. Just make wiser choices about how you further your education and more specifically, how you finance or pay for it. Very few people regret getting a good education. Even a lot of people who are successful financially find time to go back and get a formal education.

With that said, college is not for everyone and society needs to get away from this notion that it is or that careers/jobs, etc who don't go to college are somehow not as worthy.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Since when was college ever about getting an education? College is just the excuse to get away from mommie and daddie so you can drink and get ****** up at every opportunity, let those post adolescent sexual hormones rage and get laid.

I still graduated with a 3.o from a State Univ. and paid back my loans with my first job. Then went into business for myself using the knowledge I learned at University.

For the grand prize....guess what my major and minor were....
edit on 22-12-2016 by olaru12 because: come at me bro...

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Along with college putting the kids in debt, it is taking away the savings of their parents which means they probably won't inherit nearly as much. I remember when you went to work at a job at a REDUCED wage to start, you still got paid, then you worked your way up the ladder. After four years you were making the same as a person getting a job after finishing college. Schools teach the kids you make more with a degree, but do not tell you you are stuck in that kind of work for years even if you find you do not like it because you can't afford to go work at a less stressful or more interesting job.

I got bored with college after a year and a half. I have had forty different jobs in my life, many of them just temporary jobs where I learned during the time I spent there. Some of these were from layoffs where I went back the next year, usually doing a different job because my last years experience made me qualify for a different type of work. I would get bored if I could not learn something new. I worked hard and my employers knew I learned quick but were aware I usually did not stay on the job permanently. I liked to try new things, getting paid to learn.

Why would anyone want to pay someone to teach them when they could get paid to learn instead. Boy, did this country take a turn for the worse.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Even better, they now take it out of your social security check.

Baby Boomers Increasingly Having Social Security Checks Garnished To Cover Student Loan Payments

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

I agree with everything you stated here. However, getting an associates degree debt free is still within the realms of possibilities. Next quarter I will have an associates degree on nothing but scholarships and pell grants. I'm not sure everyone can do it, and I realize an associates degree doesn't help too much in the workforce.
College is absolutely a scam regardless of your career path, I have been amazed at how little I actually learned in some of my classes. I had to take several remedial math classes to get four credits at the college level for my degree, and then proceeded to use none of that math ever again. My foreign language classes have really been the only practical courses I have taken out of over 86 credits, and I frequently use my Spanish.
What has really bothered me the most about college however, is the social marxism and lack of ideological diversity. I attend PCC, so I had to deal with the whole Whiteness History Month thing.

edit on 22-12-2016 by tigershark1988 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Baby Boomers Increasingly Having Social Security Checks Garnished To Cover Student Loan Payments

www.zerohedge.com...

So, the government is collecting the debt from those who didn't pay it back. I have always paid back what I borrowed.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
The problem with student loans in bankruptcy is that you can't repossess, foreclose or give back an education. So if someone borrows $100k to get something intangible like an education, what is the incentive to pay it back if you can just turn around and file bankruptcy after graduation?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   
My thoughts are that university/college tuition is a scam BUT the degree is not. And the reason it is not is because those who were not born into their chosen field of study learn the language and math of that study. I went from knowing a lot about science in highschool to accounting major in university...two different languages but it prepared me (the BBA) for the business world and now I feel more confident in running my business!

Cost of tuition

Use of all courses put into life making decisions

Getting a job with the degree guaranteed

Getting a overall 3.5 GPA
(I enjoyed the courses and worked my ass off getting this)
Return on degree (not guaranteed) if you bust your ass 7 days a week post grad doing ANYTHING

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

www.zerohedge.com...

So, the government is collecting the debt from those who didn't pay it back. I have always paid back what I borrowed.

Same here, although now I no longer borrow. It's not safe no matter how on top of things you are. Besides, it's slavery.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:46 PM
link   
The bigger issue with college is that not everyone is supposed to go. There is basically an over supply of college graduates.

It used to be that college was sort of a finishing school for the wealthy. You'd go and learn to think critically hence the emphasis on "liberal arts". Very very few people went to college as it simply wasn't necessary for the vast majority of people.

However, as our economy developed along with our public education system more and more people became educated. In addition, it was noticed that being able to go to college granted access to job opportunities that were closed to blue collar workers. These jobs paid more and typically didn't require the same level of physical exertion. Many of these blue collar workers wanted a "better life" for their kids so they encourage them to do well in school and "go to college".

The entire premise of college changed. Now it was about going to school to get a better job opportunity. I know my parents were blue collar and that is why they encouraged me to further my education. To get a job. It wasn't about backpacking across Europe, finding myself, social justice or anything of the sort. It was so you can get jobs we couldn't get it at your age.

Because of student loan availability and societies emphasis on college being required, far too many people are going to college who really shouldn't be. High schools are judged on how many people go to college regardless of the fact if they graduates can do the basics or if going to college even makes sense.

We have Urban Prep academy here in Chicago. Their claim to fame is that 100% of the students were accepted at a college. The school is all male and focuses on educating kids from some of the worst sh*t hole neighborhoods in Chicago. They are doing a good thing. What is ironic though is that I'm sure they wouldn't get the same props if say "50% of the students decided to be car mechanics. plumbers. work in construction trades." I'd venture a large percentage would be better off NOT going to college and doing these other jobs.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I often feel that I've been successful at work and in life in spite of having been to college.

I did not go to a fancy expensive school because I knew I would not learn any more there then I could learn in the job- but I also knew I wouldn't get my foot in the door at any job in the field at my age (at the time) without a degree.

Two year college set me back four years on cash, and delayed my career by two years, which looking back has cost me more than college cost several times over. Once I got in the field my knowledge and income year over year has grown, and the only thing I got out of college was the ability to say I had the degree- which nobody working actually cares about.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   
In my current business LLC all employees must have at least a BA and preferably an MA and my company pays for you to further your degree. If you have previous experience that can help but not replace the BA.

Sorry, it's the real world in most corporate settings.

If the Corporate world isn't for you; trade schools are fantastic. Contractors make more $$$$ than I'll ever see.

edit on 22-12-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigershark1988

originally posted by: rickymouse

www.zerohedge.com...

Same here, although now I no longer borrow. It's not safe no matter how on top of things you are. Besides, it's slavery.

The part about being in debt causing you to be a slave of whom you borrow from dates back thousands of years. It is written in the bible. Our borrowing makes us a slave of society.
edit on 22-12-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I have used what I learned in college almost continuously. Just the degree makes it easier for me to get a job, even if it isn't tech specific. Employers understand I can write and communicate. That would be above and beyond prior jobs with good references.

I do understand the problem with text books, though. My aunt is an attorney who also teaches Future Interests at UB Law School. She will use the previous year's book, when she finds almost zero has changed and she will reserve enough free copies at the library for her students. She does find the cost of text books to be ridiculous.

The average hourly rate has gone down, but I am more often offered a salaried position. There are pros and cons to that.

University gave me the base in which to understand so quickly my 'first 30 days' on any job.

My GPA was 3.98 on average. Somehow this 'Billy' figured he should drop out after 1 semester?

Ridiculous.

As for student loans, if one knows how the process works, they can be put into forbearance almost indefinitely without effecting one's credit score.

I would think that 'being scammed' is hyperbolic.

Free tuition, I agree would work better. Several states offer that once one is a resident after 1 year.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
In my current business LLC all employees must have at least a BA and preferably an MA and my company pays for you to further your degree. If you have previous experience that can help but not replace the BA.

Sorry, it's the real world in most corporate settings.

In some cases, it isn't even the degree/major that matters but the school. This is why so many people obsess over getting into the Ivy League and peer schools. The job opportunities coming out an Ivy are far superior than say Kansas State in the OP.

Not all schools are equal.

In some ways it isn't fair, but it is the reality. I've known some absolute morons with degrees from Harvard and some straight up geniuses from no name schools. However, from an employer perspective, it is less risky to bet on Harvard than a community college.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I have used what I learned in college almost continuously. Just the degree makes it easier for me to get a job, even if it isn't tech specific. Employers understand I can write and communicate. That would be above and beyond prior jobs with good references.

I do understand the problem with text books, though. My aunt is an attorney who also teaches Future Interests at UB Law School. She will use the previous year's book, when she finds almost zero has changed and she will reserve enough free copies at the library for her students. She does find the cost of text books to be ridiculous.

The average hourly rate has gone down, but I am more often offered a salaried position. There are pros and cons to that.

University gave me the base in which to understand so quickly my 'first 30 days' on any job.

My GPA was 3.98 on average. Somehow this 'Billy' figured he should drop out after 1 semester?

Ridiculous.

As for student loans, if one knows how the process works, they can be put into forbearance almost indefinitely without effecting one's credit score.

I would think that 'being scammed' is hyperbolic.

Free tuition, I agree would work better. Several states offer that once one is a resident after 1 year.

You were smart to begin with, you would have succeeded in almost anything you did. College does not make you smarter, it makes you more knowledgeable. Intelligence benefits with some knowledge but too much actually dampens intellect. We are what we know and believe. You do not need a degree to succeed in this world, but society is changing that to show discrimination against those who do not have college degrees. Soon you will need a degree to work at a fast food restaurant, only college grads need apply here at a local Subway.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join