It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Android Malware Targeting Ukraine 'Ties Russian GRU To Election Hacks'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
This is actually pretty sinister...

The same hackers that hacked the DNC.."Fancy Bear"...created an app with malware used by the Ukrainian military when the Russians invaded Ukraine.

This is how it worked...

When Ukraine was invaded, Ukrainian Defense forces had outdated Soviet-era D-30 Howitzers for their artillery forces.

Targeting them took a lot of time and involved pen and paper calculations.

"Fancy Bear" released an android app that calculated targeting near instantaneously...reducing targeting time to seconds for the old Howitzers...

Ukrainian artillery men shared the App and everyone started using it.

The malware shared the phone location with Russian forces! It allowed the Russians to locate precisely where the artillery units with Howtizers were.
It also allowed for monitoring of communications on the devices infected.

Open source reporting indicates that Ukrainian artillery forces have lost over 50% of their weapons in the 2 years of conflict and
over 80% of D-30 howitzers, the highest percentage of loss of any other artillery pieces in Ukraine's arsenal.

*The sidenote here is that the exact same hackers who hacked the DNC were the same ones that distributed this App to Ukrainian forces.
Specifically Fancy Bear APT 28 ...The Military Cyber Hacking arm of Russia.

www.forbes.com...
Forbes: Android Malware Targeting Ukraine 'Ties Russian GRU To Election Hacks'

Link to Crowdstrike Report...Crowdstrike is the same cyber security firm Trump employs for his own campaign and transition...same one that publicly identified "Fancy Bear" as the DNC hackers

Apart from another strong, public tie to the Russians with the DNC hack, this is interesting in itself showing how a simple malware App can cost lives and effect an actual war.

Here is the Howitzer

edit on 22-12-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

So this could be true.
It could also be fiction.
I don't trust much that I read nowadays.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Whatever damages the capabilities of the Kiev Junta's Army is okay in my book.

More of them should download it, I'm sure the rebels will have fun with the information it provides

edit on -060009am12kam by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
What an absolute load of steaming BS

From the article

Fancy Bear is widely believed to be the group behind the DNC hit as well as the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) hack.

There is absolutely nothing to tie to 2 events together and absolutely no proof that these are the guys that hacked the DNC and there isnt even proof the DNC was hacked.

The MSM really is sickening, never let an opportunity to spew "the Russians did it" line go by even when the news being reported has nothing to do with it.

This is more of that fake news we have been hearing about

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

So this could be true.
It could also be fiction.
I don't trust much that I read nowadays.

Hat tip to you butch...you actually made a post which is less a contribution than the usual poster who just burps "fake news" without comment to anything they don't like. You are not denying reality...you are entirely indifferent to it whatever it is?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

There is absolutely nothing to tie to 2 events together and absolutely no proof that these are the guys that hacked the DNC and there isnt even proof the DNC was hacked.

Mind You...THIS GUY? HE works for the firm that ALSO protects Trump's digital communications.

Expert: We caught Russian hackers in the act
www.cnn.com...

And they shared the actual links and details with the world that traced right back to Fancy Bear..
All summed up here..
motherboard.vice.com...

SO...You are claiming no proof when there is a TONNAGE of specific proof..

You are claiming "Fake Story"...that is being propagated by the SAME FIRM that Donald Trump trusts to protect his own Digital Communications?????

The Trump campaign has hired security firm CrowdStrike, which also is assisting the Democratic National Committee

fortune.com...

Your post is FACTUALLY FALSE, LOGICALLY RIDICULOUS and INTENTIONALLY DISHONEST as I have provided you with these links and info before...

YOUR POST is FAKE PROPAGANDA
edit on 22-12-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:36 AM
link   
So, the hack-ware is known well in the Ukraine by their military? That means anybody with a good hacking ability could modify this software and make it look like it was Russians.

I know the Russians hack our stuff and I know that the USA military hack Russians stuff along with every other country in the world. That is no secret. Whether the Russians supplied the truth to wikileaks is the issue, you cannot have a government telling the truth, that is forbidden.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

Mind You...THIS GUY? HE works for the firm that ALSO protects Trump's digital communications.

Expert: We caught Russian hackers in the act
www.cnn.com...

And they shared the actual links and details with the world that traced right back to Fancy Bear..
All summed up here..
motherboard.vice.com...

SO...You are claiming no proof when there is a TONNAGE of specific proof..

You are claiming "Fake Story"...that is being propagated by the SAME FIRM that Donald Trump trusts to protect his own Digital Communications?????

The Trump campaign has hired security firm CrowdStrike, which also is assisting the Democratic National Committee

fortune.com...

Your post is FACTUALLY FALSE, LOGICALLY RIDICULOUS and INTENTIONALLY DISHONEST as I have provided you with these links and info before...

YOUR POST is FAKE PROPAGANDA

Im not sure falling for a simple phising scam counts as a hack but OK you can have that one.

As for the "we caught them in the act" havent the NSA or whoever it is come out and said that they would have known about any hack that occured and none did?

Im not questioning the details of the OP, the artillery thing is believable, the BS part was including the "Russians who hacked the DNC" bit. This is a blatant attempt by the MSM to keep pushing their false narrative and keep it fresh in everyones minds.

The story didnt need to include that part at all.

Your post is FACTUALLY FALSE, LOGICALLY RIDICULOUS and INTENTIONALLY DISHONEST as I have provided you with these links and info before... YOUR POST is FAKE PROPAGANDA

My post is none of those things, all I did was question why the need to include something in the article that is unrelated to whats being discussed.
Have we spoken before? I dont recognise your avatar and am fairly certain youve never linked anything for me specifically.
As for me pushing "fake propaganda" I have no agenda so cant be pushing any sort of propaganda.

You on the other hand, I take it your not a Putin fan, could it be your the one pushing the propaganda?

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Yeah technology can be a double edge sword that's for sure.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
So, the hack-ware is known well in the Ukraine by their military? That means anybody with a good hacking ability could modify this software and make it look like it was Russians.

I know the Russians hack our stuff and I know that the USA military hack Russians stuff along with every other country in the world. That is no secret. Whether the Russians supplied the truth to wikileaks is the issue, you cannot have a government telling the truth, that is forbidden.

Not to mention the same variables were known and used on Germany years ago. A state sponsored hacking attempt would be stupid beyond comprehension for using the same fingerprint after being caught prior.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

CrowdStrike got paid big money to come up their "results" and "conclusions".....

The DNC hired them.

Everybody has their price.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

It just became know this past week.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Im not questioning the details of the OP, the artillery thing is believable, the BS part was including the "Russians who hacked the DNC" bit. This is a blatant attempt by the MSM to keep pushing their false narrative and keep it fresh in everyones minds.

Crowdstrike traced the Ukranian Artillary malware to the exact same people that did the DNC hack...>Specifically "Fancy Bear" APT 28...Russian Mil arm GRU cyber hackers.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

CrowdStrike got paid big money to come up their "results" and "conclusions".....

The DNC hired them.

And Trump still employs them to run his cyber security..

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Not to mention the same variables were known and used on Germany years ago. A state sponsored hacking attempt would be stupid beyond comprehension for using the same fingerprint after being caught prior.

What do you mean by "finger-print"?

Crowdstrike actively traced...and in real-time..the DNC hack to the same people that distributed this Malware.
And yes...It is the same people that the German gov caught a couple years back.
"Fancy Bear"

(post by starfoxxx removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Yeah, these Russian elite hackers would not be using something that the US was already aware of existing. They are smarter than that.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   

The DNC hired them.

Boy, you got this down pat. Maybe I should start a business arranging evidence that shows what people want me to show. What is wrong with me, I need to join into the deception to get rich. Trying to make a living the honest way is hard on the body.

posted on Dec, 22 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

The DNC hired them.

No to mention their found Dmitry Alperovitch is a Fellow with the Atlantic Council...funded by Open Society Foundations...but no conflict of interests there right?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join