It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ramifications for humanity if there is no God

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:23 AM
link   
To answer the poster, I think there are two ramifications, if there is no God. I assume meaning there is nothing after our body loses it's life.

1. In life, what we did while alive won't have any meaning. If we thought we did good or bad, if we were happy or sad. If we loved or did not. Meaning to one person accumulation of wealth and power was their obsession. For this greedy person, they did just as good in life as the person who sacrificed to help others. Neither construct in either mind was any more real than the other.

2. In death, we return only to the death we had before we were alive. Although in nights where we go to sleep and wake up without a single remembrance of a dream, it is basically the same until we awake. It will be the same as before life and the same as in unconsciousness. No time, no anything. This is neither good or bad at this point, because it is just not. However, in our life today if we could know this for a fact, I'm not sure how this would affect our lives other than going back to point #1.

3. This isn't really a 3, it is more of a realized #2 but rehashed into #1. If I knew this was completely it, after there is only not...Then I'm not sure this would make me a "better" person in any sense of the word losing it's meaning outside of myself. I believe Nazi Germany as a country was less moral than the USA at the time. This belief though is on the predication that there is a morality that exists outside of my own mind. I may not have FULL 100% knowledge of this morality, but I believe it exists and I can easily spot very evil things as opposed to very selfless things. However I think this notion of right and wrong goes out the window if I absolutely believed there is nothing after death. Would this make me less of a selfless person? I think so. Would I strive to be a "better" person? Probably not. I would just try to get along and enjoy life but I don't know exactly what that would look like. Interesting.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quauhtli
Does there have to be a god to experience another reality beyond this physical one we're in now?

Exactly.
We are all gods in a larvae stage here on earth, trapped in our human bodies.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Mind blown. JK, I'm being an asshat.

But really are you serious? Okay what is the definition you are using for God if he does not exist?

If he doesn't exist already, then we don't die (your post). Well we know pretty clearly at least our body dies and it doesn't look very nice. So then if your statement is true, then there must be a God, because there is death. Okay, so if there is a God because there is death, then we go back to the definition of God. If he is truly is the one and only head honcho, then God = death. Death is the transition of life, that life into something else, so if God = death then God also = life. If something less than God created life and he was miffed about it, then I think it would be quite easy to clear up the lesser being's little mistake. But the lesser being, also would have to be created, so then he, that is God, would have to have created life one way or the other. So God = life and = death.

Dang I'm confused.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: SelectStart

Just don't die and you'll be ok.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quauhtli
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Energy in any of its forms cannot disappear or dissipate, but actually just changes form. Like the chemical energy in a battery being transformed through the flashlight into light energy. Life is full of examples just like this. It's just that the human brain has a hard time imagining that reality may very well have no beginning or end.

Like I said.

Someone or something set it up.

God.

Meh, some people are just accidents of evolution, according to themselves.

They have no direction but their own.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
First and foremost does that make us bat# crazy?
Has our belief in God condemned us to extinction due to our believed destiny with God?

I have come to the tentative conclusion that the only thing that makes us insane, is 'beliefs' (malware; virus)!

If there is no God is it all just a waste of time?

Humanity has, individually, believed or not, experienced, or not... a God.
If Reality were such that there is no 'God', then we have all lived in that Reality all along, and will continue to do so.
If there is no 'God', all is chugging along just the same.
Or the same, if there is a God.
All is still chugging along, just the same.

"The only difference between Heaven and Hell, is Perspective!" - Zen Kahuna

Besides, about 'wasting time'; you can't!
The present moment is built as it is, Universally, forever, with you, as YOU are, as a feature.
You do and say and think according to who and what you are at this moment!
There is no 'choice', no 'free-will', so we have no choice about the Perfection of which we are features!
Thank God! *__-

edit on 20-12-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Yep. Provided you base your worth on approval from a beardy sky lord.

I know no one that views God in this way, but it works well if you want to mock others.

Does your god have less or more power than the beardy sky lord I'm thinking of?

The description is irrelevant, it could be a sky lord with sideburns and the point remains the same.

I have no idea what you think God is, but I know I don't share your vision of It.

I don't have a religion so I have no specific idea of God...I just know that if there is no divine purpose then we have no purpose at all.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I don't have a religion so I have no specific idea of God...I just know that if there is no divine purpose then we have no purpose at all.

Why would we need a purpose, divine or otherwise ?

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 03:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
a reply to: Xeven

If no God, some will be crushed, some will be ecstatic. And I'm sure some will bounce to other ends of the spectrum at some point in their lives.

People are already doing that at this very moment regardless of there being or not being a god. So nothing changes.

The only thing that should change is that people should start finally taking true responsibility for their actions and inactions. If no god, at least there is nobody to blame for my misery or fate.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Concepts of God as put forth in man-made religions are a beneficial learning tool for humanity. --One can even doubt that they were created by man. Perhaps they were cleverly given to serve a dual purpose.

So the bearded God on a gilted throne inside the gates of heaven is a nice myth. But the overall concept that humanity is connected, if not chained to a superior intelligence, should not be cast off along with the books, rituals, and ornaments.

It is becoming more clear every day that in the unlimited expanse of the universe that other life forms are out there and some undoubtedly, far older than our own, have such superior wisdom,technology and evolutionary advancement that for all practical purposes they serve to substitute for any god you favor.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SelectStart
a reply to: mikegrouchy

Mind blown. JK, I'm being an asshat.

But really are you serious? Okay what is the definition you are using for God if he does not exist?

If he doesn't exist already, then we don't die (your post). Well we know pretty clearly at least our body dies and it doesn't look very nice. So then if your statement is true, then there must be a God, because there is death. Okay, so if there is a God because there is death, then we go back to the definition of God. If he is truly is the one and only head honcho, then God = death. Death is the transition of life, that life into something else, so if God = death then God also = life. If something less than God created life and he was miffed about it, then I think it would be quite easy to clear up the lesser being's little mistake. But the lesser being, also would have to be created, so then he, that is God, would have to have created life one way or the other. So God = life and = death.

Dang I'm confused.

Your Egregore reminds me of a story a man told me once.

This was decades ago,
back when States got to keep the taxes from oil drilled in their area,
and Louisiana State University was booming, bringing in the best professors.

My friends' dad is the formost authority on Library Science in the US in those days,
and leading the switch to digital from the old card catalog Dewey Decimal system.
His thesis was grouping the books by subject would make it easier for students doing research as they wouldn't have to run all over the library, the books would be physically closer together.

Anyway, one weekend I was spending the night having a sleepover with his son,
who had just been sent out (in his first ever vehicle, a Truck) to run some errands, so I have
nothing to do for an hour and I walk into his darkened Study where he is sitting on the couch laughing.

Feeling he was in a friendly mood I timidly walked in.

On the TV there is an old black and white movie playing. He tells me it's one of his favorites "Dr Strangelove" so I sit down in the recliner and watch a bit with him. After the scene where General Turgidson takes a phone call, that his scantily clad secretary had screened with him, I chuckled too.

The Professor looked at me suspiciously, like I was just giggling cause he said the movie was funny.

Defensively I said to him "That's just like when my Mom talks to my Grandfather long distance. This movie really shows the generation gap." And smiled.

He warmed up and started asking me about the things his son and I had been up too working at our first Jobs together. I told him how the first time I went they didn't hire me, but afterward his son said "watch this" put on a "Jesus First" T-shirt and we went back and applied together. We both got hired on the spot. And that's how his son helped me get my first Job.

He sat up a little bit, and confided in me.

"You know. When I was studying Library Science, I went to libraries all over the world. One day, in the back of an old library. Underneath a broken down shelf. Forgotten in a pile of ruined books. I found a passage that explained how the Ancient Gods decided that from now on they would be known Collectively as just God. In the singular. That is the day I lost my faith."

His son got back and we went and did different things. I understood that he meant that his son was being Ironic with the T-shirt and just manipulationg the emotions of a prospective employer. And that faith is no substitue for Education. But I couldn't help feeling that he felt a little sad too.

Mike Grouchy

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 07:40 AM
link   

I do not believe in any gods. I think it is a life stifling lie that many people want to believe in. It takes all responsibility out of their hands. They will not speak up when they need to. They do not take care of their lives because they feel like god will take care of it, or that it is gods will, or that bad people will get what they deserve after they die.

I prefer to take on complete responsibility for my own life and my own choices. There is no good reason to believe in gods, so people who do are unreasonable. I do not sit around wishing someone would help or save me.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

If there is no God is it all just a waste of time?

That all depends on what you do with your life.

Did you make others happy?
Did you stand up for the downtrodden?
Did you always try to be a good person?

Did you teach these values to those who need them or your children?

If the answer to those questions is yes...
Then it was worth it.

What he said.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Man exists so that God might have free will.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 20-12-2016 by mikegrouchy because: too much

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Teaching something to people that has no proof as a basis, is a lie, it's instilling a false sense of believe and sooner or later, in that persons life, the belief will be shattered eventually, it's how they deal with the reckoning.

There is no God, to believe otherwise is blind faith and whether you do good deeds in your life, they're still done in the name of a lie. In my opinion, religion is nothing but a division & distraction to the entire human race, and so much more could have been achieved without it

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Then everything is a lie because you're basing it on a flawed human perception where everything decays and dies.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Here is mathematical evidence for the existence of a transcendental design in matter:
smphillips.8m.com...
Its ramifications are profound and mindboggling to those with the intellectual honesty to recognise this.
Spend the next six months understanding and assimilating the proof. Then return to this thread to comment. You don't need faith to know transcendental intelligence exists. Just enough intelligence to recognise its presence.

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: PillarOfFire
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

Then everything is a lie because you're basing it on a flawed human perception where everything decays and dies.

Not true, believe in yourself, no middle man required

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
God exists. Think about just one living cell. How does it come to be? Does anyone think that all the processes just fly together to form a cell? You have to have a cell wall or you got nothing. Ever look at how complicated one cell is on the molecular level? How many proteins and amino acids they require? No way all that happened by itself. Someone may say, yeah but a cell evolved. From what? Loose molecules with no association whatsoever?

posted on Dec, 20 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Yep. Provided you base your worth on approval from a beardy sky lord.

I know no one that views God in this way, but it works well if you want to mock others.

Does your god have less or more power than the beardy sky lord I'm thinking of?

The description is irrelevant, it could be a sky lord with sideburns and the point remains the same.

I have no idea what you think God is, but I know I don't share your vision of It.

How can you derive purpose from something you have no specific idea of?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join