It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold snap over central and eastern US this week

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Daytona checking in ....summertime here. Good luck everybody else !!!

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: snchrnct

No no no...I just enjoy a chilly run. That dude is absolutely nuts.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: dntwastetime

Then why does your location say "Cleveland, Ohio?"

Stop using psyops on us!

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I live in MA, finally got my Boiler fixed this week. Balmy constant 50 degrees inside now!

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

I didn't notice it so bright last night but the other night it had the snow all glowing around here. A hundred miles west of here they have been living in a snowstorm for the last four days. We have just had cold with clear skies.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
People have such short memories, this winter thing is annual

originally posted by: dntwastetime
Daytona checking in ....summertime here. Good luck everybody else !!!

< eyeballs location > Transplant, I take it? Give it 20 years, you'll get sick of the year-round Hot & Hotter seasons. FL is actually really depressing once you realize they have no actual seasons to enjoy, to call the climate monotonous is fairly accurate (once in a while, a hurricane or weekend cold snap shakes things up, ooooh)

Ricky & Chief, yeah, it's also brisk over in my neck of the woods, about 18* or so with a windchill around 7 or 8. My husband's not too happy with the temps, but it sure feels great out there to me! The chill gives me a burst of energy, I love it.
edit on 12/14/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Then why does your location say "Cleveland, Ohio?"

Stop using psyops on us!

I am a snowbird now.37 years working outside in northeast ohio DONE with snohio lol. Im down here doing whatever it takes to avoid old man winter! Sorry for the rude remark , im usually the coldest atser so its nice for a change. Tough economy down here tho everyone is broke. Off topic .

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

OMG Girl. I can so see you outside, making snow angels, laughing like a crazy woman.

I'll be the one inside, waving at ya, calling you crazy.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: Nyiah

OMG Girl. I can so see you outside, making snow angels, laughing like a crazy woman.

I'll be the one inside, waving at ya, calling you crazy.

LMAO, I have, and my hubs is the WTF face in the window while I do it. It takes a lot to convince him to make a snow angel even if he's suited up for sub-zero.

I've ditched the heavy coat and snowpants to shovel snow in a tank top and jeans a few times (In my defense, I got really, really hot in those snowpants) Rotfl, one time, the mailman, who isn't fazed by much, was mouth agape watching me, "Aren't you cold? It's not even 20 degrees!" All I could come up with was something I've said for a long time already, "I guess I'm built for the tundra?"

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I have to do a run in the morning tomorrow--it'll be about 10-degrees with 15mph winds (putting the wind chill below zero). I can't wait! I love running in extreme cold temperatures, because apparently I'm an idiot.

I have exercise induced asthma. If I wanted to quickly become a gasping, wheezing lump of a human being strangling on my own phlegm, running in the extreme cold would be a sure way to do it.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Ya'lls getting what we got here in Alaska.

First it was windy, then it was snowing, then windy, then cold. Been around 0 all week at night (Anchorage) and cold as h3ll in the interior (-35). Looks like it went south and is now moving east. They issued cold advisories in the pacific northwest.

This is a large mass of cold air! I hope they do not start using the "polar vortex" term all over the place. This is just a normal, large band of winter Arctic air. It will move on in a few days.

What did it mean to me? Go to the warmer fleece and bigger jacket! And long johns. Oh, and eggnog lattes (only one, but I just noticed it was during the cold snap)!

LOL, Winter Is Coming!

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Last year we had a el nino, or la nina thingy so a nice decent winter, we KNEW this year we'd get hammered.
At least those who were paying attention knew we would.

It happens in cycles so again, no real surprise.
Lake effect snow? Yearly event until the Great Lakes freeze over....OMG! I sound like Phage!!!
SMH

This can't be good

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
Why do you guys still use the Fahrenheit scale?

That's old money, it's Celsius everywhere else. Get with the program.

It's like translating from French...

Celsius is "easier" to make sense of, with 0= freezing and 100= boiling, but with only 100 degrees between those extremes, it's less precise. When I see temps on C, I always feel like they should at least use a decimal point.

I mean, 27 C is a gorgeous, mild summer day, but 32 is sweltering, and at 37, heat stroke is likely. There's just not enough "degrees" for my liking.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Next year winter will be much colder. Be prepared. Kinda like maunder minimum.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Welcome to our new season, folks! Just like we have replaced summer with Global Warming for political purposes, we are now replacing winter with Polar Vortex. Your new schedule of seasons will be: Global Warming, fall, Polar Vortex, spring and back to Global Warming again. There are talks about simply removing fall and spring so that Polar Vortex and Global Warming can then endlessly battle one another forever in a real world Song of Ice & Fire.

And yes, it will be bone breaking cold here this weekend. We are planning to do our usual Sunday shopping on Saturday to avoid going out in the cold that day.

It's not political.

The intense cold in the Arctic - a polar vortex - is a big chunk of what drives our weather. With heating in the Arctic, the jet stream meanders more; this weakens the boundaries that contain the vortex. Sadly for us, it means colder than normal air moves away from the north pole.

Essentially, if you warm up the Arctic, then the cold Arctic air can move elsewhere - and oh is the Arctic warming.

e: Oh and in case you don't believe that people that study the climate know about this stuff, think again:

The polar vortex both in the stratosphere and the troposphere look to remain relatively weak for the remainder of October, if this trend continues severe winter weather is likely for widespread portions of northern Eurasia, including Europe and East Asia, and the eastern United States (US).

This was posted mid-October; how's that for a prediction?
edit on 22Wed, 14 Dec 2016 22:51:34 -0600America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago12 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I love the cold, cold weather, but been in the south is not always cold as I want.

Still I take any cold spell that comes my way.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Clark County. About 40 miles West of Terre Haute Indiana.
Ok...I take back the "warm" part. It's now -4 and I really hope my dogs are done for the night, cause that last trip out just a few minutes ago was COLD.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
It's not gonna end with a cold snap for some areas.
"Winter Storm Decima's Mess of Snow and Ice Continues in Northwest, Advances into Rockies; Will Expand into the Midwest and East This Weekend"

Winter storm warnings have been posted from Oregon, including Portland, into southern Washington state, central California's Sierra Nevada, extending east into the northern High Plains and central Rockies. Significant snow, potentially heavy snow, will make travel dangerous.

Winter storm watches extend east into parts of Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin and southern Minnesota, including the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. There is a potential for significant snow, sleet or ice accumulation that may impact travel.

Source

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

It wasn't rude--if I still lived in So. California, I'd be saying that, too. Hell, my family's goal is to move to Hawai'i in about 5 years, so I'll definitely be saying it then.

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I have asthma, but it's generally caused by allergies and things like cigarette smoke (which is odd, since I used to smoke and it didn't bother my asthma). I definitely take a puff of albuterol about 20-min prior to taking off on cold runs, though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join