It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are alpha males superior?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Let's begin with a definition of "alpha male":

A man tending to assume a dominant or domineering role in social or professional situations

SOURCE

In my experience, a person can end up in a dominant or domineering role in social or professional situations in one of two ways.

1. They end up in such a position because of merit.

I believe if a person attains a dominant or domineering role in social or professional situations because of merit, that is a strong sign of superiority. A sports team captain is almost always one of the best players. The CEO of a company is almost always one of the best employees.

2. They end up in such a position because of popularity, nepotism, likability, or other similar factors.

This group is almost always seeking to be dominant or domineering. What kinds of people want to be dominant or domineering?

The types of people who want to be dominant or domineering are often narcissists, psychopaths, sociopaths, sadists, and those with all kinds of other antisocial traits. This group is mostly the weakest of the weak in my mind.

I'm coming from the point of view that all needs are weaknesses as I discussed in the following thread.

Are needs weaknesses?

Are alpha males superior?

My conclusion is that about 10% of alpha males are superior, but they're mostly only superior in their areas of specialty. I also believe the rest of the alpha males tend to be inferior compared with humanity in general.
edit on 14-12-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I am an alpha male in beta clothing.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

ok - you are describing multiple ` things ` - ie :

dominant and domineering - they are not always synonyms - nor are they always interchangable

there are a lot of dominant people who are not domineering

and even more domineering cockwombles who are most certainly not dominant

hey - a touch of personal vitriol might have crept in there - but you get the point ?

next - " dominant " is very context specific

the dominant figure in a chess club and boxing club will be very different archetypes

domineering figures - tent to be more stereotypical

appologies - time constrains prevent a full reply - but ^ is to be ` going on with `

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

So am I mate, I tend to allow inferior males to take the lead in most situations even though I am very often the one who has more experience or understanding of the task in hand.

Alpha males are fine until you put two together and then you just end up with a pointless pissing competition.

Let the other guy be Batman and think he is the hero, I am quite happy being Robin thank you very much.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Yes I am.
Now kneel before me beta dogs!.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 05:36 AM
link   

I think it is deeply unwise to accept the Alpha, Beta paradigm.

For a start, it is rather an ineffective measure of the qualities of a man. By some measures, a man might be considered inferior, for example, in appearance, wealth, success or social status otherwise. But he may also possess talents and abilities which make him five hundred times more capable of solving certain kinds of problem, or make him far better able to process emotional information and respond to it in a human way, which would make him appear in certain light as simply a better man.

Similarly, a man could be all the most desired things, fit, physically dominant, successful, self assured and give every appearance of capability, while retaining none of the qualities of actual manhood. For example, I know many men who would probably be considered Alpha type men, who despite their giving every impression of being stalwart fellows of a deeply capable nature, cannot be trusted to do something as simple as build a fire, operate an axe, or even respond to emotional data in a human manner.

Furthermore, as for the suggestion that needs are weaknesses, I would argue that this is perhaps the most backward conclusion one could reach on the matter. The measure of a man is not whether he has needs or not. We all have. Access to air, nutrition, bathing, warmth, light, and social interaction are common to all human beings, save for the maladjusted and mentally ill (who require all these things, whether they believe they do or not). It is rather more the case that a mans worth, his status is rather more to do with how he goes about the business of seeing to his needs and those of the people he cares about, than whether or not he has needs at all.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I'd be more worried about Beta Males pretending to be Alpha Males.

You are what you are, deal with it and stop flipping out about who's what and why. Does it really matter in the end? No not really.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I so agree, For example-look at "The Walking Dead." Their fearless leader isn't the strongest, best looking, most skilled amongst his tribe but his innate intelligence, ability to assess quickly and make fast intelligent decisions all the while being defined as deeply empathetic, moral and sensitive make him the perfect leader he is.

He is the alpha male for all the above reasons.

Obviously, different scenarios will require a different mixture of a skill set.

I hate to admit it, but it does boil down to physicality and mental acumen. Sorry, my women comrades.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Agreed.

This whole alpha/beta thing is ridiculous. People are not dogs.
Far too often people mix up being an "alpha" with being an ***hole.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:07 AM
link   

If in most situations we can kill you and eat you, then we can posture our superiority even if on a deeper level there is none.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raven_Heart

Agreed.

This whole alpha/beta thing is ridiculous. People are not dogs.
Far too often people mix up being an "alpha" with being an ***hole.

It has some merit.

I've known many true "alpha" males, and they are not assholes. Headstrong, stubborn, and independent, on the other hand...

Most "assholes" are just insecure betas trying to make everyone ( and themselves ) believe that they are "alpha".

I myself have been described as an alpha, but I don't play that game. I just want to go my own way and do my own thing...

To the OP: Most true alphas are superior in some or several ways. Where the confusion comes in is that there are many, many fakers.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
GAWD! I'm so tired of this alpha/beta BS. It's whining. You do you and stop worrying about it.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

First logic answer;" I am a Primate "

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
There are some Women that have more balls than men and could be considered Alpha's.

Does that reflect badly upon them for being strong?

It's all words. Nobody Cares! That's the reality of it. Few people even think about Alpha Beta unless they're in some kind of Sorority and even they don't give a flying fark.

Just Saying.

Write about something meaningful like how you feel about gravity or something. You'll get more stars for that if that's what you're after, if not, then you're after something you're never gonna get much of a response to because Nobody Cares about This Sh't!

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst
I'd be more worried about Beta Males pretending to be Alpha Males.

You are what you are, deal with it and stop flipping out about who's what and why. Does it really matter in the end? No not really.
To this I will add, there is great balance in our species and we could never have got where we are without that balance. No need to overthink it.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Absolutley alpha males are superior. This is who have historically and still do mostly lead the world in business, finance, industry, engineering, innovation and military. It is alpha ales who grow borders of empires. Alpha males push out into the risk of the world and return great dividends of expanded land holdings or profits.

All society in the history of humankind have been following the lead of alpha males, and alpha males have been on the front lines of destroying a people's enemies to defend their societies.

Credit given to the occasional Joan of Arc type female too though. Catherine the great, Victoria, and others of note will get respect as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Furthering the use of definitions.

Dominant: most important, powerful, or influential.

I find people that are happy and compassionate to have the most influence on me.

Many of those people in my life are not your stereotypical "alpha males".

This paradigm is just way too open to subjectivity. Which is probably why everyone seems to have a different view on what constitutes an "alpha male".

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Just out of curiosity, do you know that the whole Alpha beta thing has been pretty much debunked?

The idea when postulated seemed sound for animals, but over time it has been found to be too simplistic, and as a consequence is not really valid.

When you move to complex primates, such as Homo sapiens it is even less valid. Its a nice theory, but not really true

So just curious.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: HUMBLEONE

So am I mate, I tend to allow inferior males to take the lead in most situations even though I am very often the one who has more experience or understanding of the task in hand.

Alpha males are fine until you put two together and then you just end up with a pointless pissing competition.

Let the other guy be Batman and think he is the hero, I am quite happy being Robin thank you very much.

Basically I'd rather hang out with women because I am heterosexual and truly LOVE women. Why would I want to hang out with hairy, smelly guys, when I can hang out with women and when I was younger.... get some loving!

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
i grease the tread on my boot with alpha males.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join