It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crashed UFO found by Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 06:51 PM
link   
After looking at a white balanced version I think I can see some "veins" from the ridge to the bottom, typical of sand dunes.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Spacespider

I think calling it a UFO is a bit of a stretch.
Looks more like some kind of geological formation to me.

Yeah, more accurately Unidentified Lie-ing (Laying?) Object, or Unidentified Geological Object for you skeptics.

posted on Dec, 12 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: EnhancedInterrogator

Huge piece of asteroid leaving an eliptical crater. What looks like 2 sides of a disk is a deep furrow.
Perhaps low cosmic velocity relative to entry. A 'catch-up' grazing fall at a low angle. There are many examples somewhat like it all over Mars.
Like many asteroids, probably traveling with a few small pieces behind it that made the 3 smaller craters right over the original impact.
edit on 12-12-2016 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
After looking at a white balanced version I think I can see some "veins" from the ridge to the bottom, typical of sand dunes.

Dunes is probably a much better term than the one I used, which I chose because the link in the OP used it. Either way I think our minority view is correct
I'm not so sure it is in a crater though - it seems more like the material is on top of the dune feature. There are numerous examples of slope instability in the area.

The Blackhawk landslide area in California has some similar features

www.planetary.org...

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Cross posting from the Martian pyramid thread, where one of them shows similar features:

posted on Dec, 13 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Worm sign?

We have wormsign the likes of which even God has never seen.

posted on Dec, 14 2016 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Shock veins. Shallow faults caused by hypervelocity impact.
No need to post an example, as they are all around nearly every crater on the moon.

Also, in the SW portion of the scene, the parallel wall structures are part of the impact. They are outer crater waves frozen in time. An impact like this briefly turns the surface into behaving like a liquid, like a drop of water in a pool. The waves of material as they travel outward freeze in time as the materials instantly re-solidify.

There are 2 main rings in this crater, and a shallow wall structure is what would have been a third, but never really formed before it ran out of energy.
This is a great example of a low angle impact.

edit on 14-12-2016 by charlyv because: spelling and content

posted on Dec, 15 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   

no - just another rock

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join