It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cure For Alzheimer's disease? 1 hour Flickering LED lights-a Day reduces Plaque By 50% (Mice)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Alzheimer's is a scary and terrifying disease. There is hope for a viable treatment, flashing LED's. It is only being studied now, but if the info gets out, it sounds like a inexpensive treatment for a very sad and expensive illness.

Flashing LED lights, reduces the clumping in the brain. This was done with mice, the light was found to encourage the brain cells to fire normally.

Flashing lights in the eyes of Alzheimer's sufferers could be a new treatment for the disease, a study suggests.

In what has been described as a promising new avenue for research, flickering lights were found drastically reduce levels of plaques in the brain in mice with Alzheimer's symptoms.

In Alzheimer's disease, brain waves are disrupted, but the light treatment was found to encourage the brain cells to begin firing normally again.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

With the light treatment one hour a day, the immune system begins to normalize and eat the plaque. The effect (in Mice) has been dramatic, around 50% of the plaque is reduced. We will see.

Scavenger cells' – called microglia – were activated in the brain and began to eat the plaques clogging the brain.

In Alzheimer's patients these cells can become inactive – and plaques can build up, stopping the brain's normal function.

In mice exposed to the light for one hour a day for seven days, the effect was dramatic, reducing the amount of amyloid plaque by around 50 per cent.

Another possible treatment-
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Makes good sense...More brain stimulation.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Lets hope it is available and affordable. Oh and successful.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'd be cautious here.

like the article says. because it works in mice doesn't mean it will work in humans.

though if it does work in humans. i'll have to make some glasses for my uncle that is suffering from ALS

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

First, I am so sorry to hear that your family is touched by ALS.

If this works for Alzheimer's, do you think it would work for ALS.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

just make it now. its freakin lights lol. whats the worse thing to happen, your grandpa has a week of lights?

anyone that has this should just have someone nifty with electronics to rig up a system.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

Or get an old VCR and not set the time....

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

...and who says DISCO is dead! Who would have thought gazing into flashing LED lights can be a cure for Alzheimer's?What would current Alzheimer's patients have to lose by trying out this treatment? Other than seeing spots in front of their eyes for a day.

Just like promising laboratory cancer trials on animals, why can't patients who have exhausted all possible treatments, by-pass years of human trials and sign a waiver to have immediate access to this treatment. I mean what do these poor people have to lose???

I think many of us who would be lying on our death beds would accept any possible kind of treatment that could possibly save our lives than to agonize in pain and limbo until we succumb to death. It's about time the terminally ill have access to these treatments for better or for worse.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Stars and flag, good memory. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

The researchers say the light works by recruiting the help of resident immune cells called microglia.

Microglia are scavengers. They eat and clear harmful or threatening pathogens - in this instance, beta amyloid.

It is hoped that clearing beta amyloid and stopping more plaques from forming could halt Alzheimer's and its symptoms.

Dr Tsai said: "We are optimistic."

BBCnews.com - 'Flashing light therapy' for Alzheimer's

Well, these guys are from MIT. So there is a little street cred right there.

I hope they test it out on people. I hope it works. I do not know what the heck a "microglia" is but without reading more I will give a cautious "YAY" because there are no medications available. I wonder if it is a specific spectrum of light or specific intensity? Lot more questions than answers

But it is a plus to know that there are tiny microglia running around my brain eating beta amyloid!

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Another good thing is that at first glance it would be a fairly easy piece of equipment to build. This would cut the AMA out so they can't monetize the therapy.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

because it works in mice doesn't mean it will work in humans.

Sure, but it's promising. If results on rats and mice never translated over to humans then they'd rarely be used in vivisection. Next step is human trials.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

s/f good post mate.

Wonder if it works for hang overs?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I have a theory, flashing Infrared can reduce the intensity of hallucinations in psych patients. Especially on specific areas.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

With advances in computer modeling, many of these tests on mice, rats, and other animals are unnecessary and archaic. I think it is great that some breakthroughs have been made, but isn't it about time that science rethinks it's 'kinship' with lab animals. Part of the issue that perpetuates the use of non-human testing is the HUGE industry backing it. Tens of millions of mice and tens of millions of rats (in the US alone) suffer and die every year in the so called advancement of science. These poor creatures who are social, intelligent, and experience pain, are not even considered animals by this industry. They are called "models" and can be custom ordered like you might select options for a new car from the factory, and a single mouse with Alzheimer's may cost several hundred dollars (discount for bulk orders).

Again, great that the mice have helped scientists with their difficult task of solving this horrible human problem, but anytime I hear these reports I feel sick because I know what a horrible existence the animals have endured in their 'participation' of these tests.
edit on 1272016 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: anotherside
I have a theory, flashing Infrared can reduce the intensity of hallucinations in psych patients. Especially on specific areas.

Red and blue flashing lights on Bobby cars cause seizures in some people.

I try think I will get my disco light and find out.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

I know that chimps are not used like they used to be, The scientists and R and D folks should know what they are doing. I would love to hear that they don't destroy any animals, but are we there yet?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archonic

only if it is a specific frequency
"flashing lights most likely to trigger seizures are between the frequency of 5 to 30 flashes per second (Hertz)."
www.epilepsy.com...
the article states this method was using flashes at 40 per second, so seizure patients would be safe with this.
also those prone to seizure are only 3% of the earths population...

originally posted by: seattlerat

With advances in computer modeling, many of these tests on mice, rats, and other animals are unnecessary and archaic.

I feel sick because I know what a horrible existence the animals have endured in their 'participation' of these tests.

no amount of computer modeling will replace real life experimentation in value.

to stop animal testing two things must change,
first, animal life must become more valued in society then human life,
and two, animal life must become more valued financially then human life. neither will ever happen. so the animal testing will continue.
edit on 7-12-2016 by NobodiesNormal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archonic

originally posted by: anotherside

I was referring to legs, arms, chest, back..not eyes.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join