It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3. Philosophical Analysis: "On & On" - Erykah Badu

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
To me, these two verses are related:

"If your knowledge were your wealth then it would be well earned."

"I was born under water with 3 dollars and 6 dimes, yea you may laugh, because you did not do your math."

Wealth = Mental Wealth (Wisdom)

Water = Washing away impurity, Having clarity

Born Under Water = Clarity/Enlightenment

3 dollar and 6 dimes = 360, the full circle of understanding.

You may laugh because you did not do your math = People who can't put the clues/symbolism together to get her message may just laugh and think she's talking non-sense.

Counting money/wealth ("doing math") = Figuring out Life Lessons for "Peace and Blessings".

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: lightofgratitude

Thank you very much for adding your math to the mix. I am grateful of the light you bestowed
I agree with your analysis, good catch!

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:12 AM
link   
When the working tools of the Supreme Mathematics & Supreme Alphabet are used to decipher the song's introduction, it almost appears to be a dialogue between a novice inquisitor and a Master of the Science, very similar to the discourses found in some of the Hermetic writings.

"Oh my, my, my"

"Cipher-Her, Master-Y, Master-Y, Master-Y?"

"I'm feeling high. My money's gone, I'm all alone."

The metaphor correlating money with Knowledge, Wisdom, and Understanding hasn't been expressed at this point, therefore, we can take literally, this particular usage of money.

"All" = Allah-Love/Right-Love/Right

"Alone" = Al-One = All-One
= Allah-Love/Right-Cipher-Now-Equality
= Divine Man with Love is Complete in the Equilibrium of the Present Moment

"Too much you'll see."

Too = Truth-Cipher-Complete

Much = Master-You-See-Her

You'll = Why-Cipher-Universe-Right/Love-Right/Love
(Universe = U-N-I-Verse)

See = Self/Savior-Equality-Equality

"The world keeps turning."

The turning world may refer to a continuous circle, or complete cipher. In the N.G.E., Women are often called, "Earths" or "Wisdom-Bodies".

"Oh what a day, what a day, what a day"

Oh = Cipher-Her

What = Wisdom-He/Her-Allah-Truth

A = Allah

Day = Divine-Allah-Why

"Oh my, my, my, I'm feeling high.
My money's gone, I'm all alone.
Too much you'll see.
The world keeps turning.
Oh what a day, what a day, what a day"

Deciphered as:

- Inquisitor asking: "Complete Woman, Master why?, Master why?, Master why?"

- Master replying: "I am completely uplifted. I forsake earthly riches. I am a Divine Person with Right Love, being All with One."

"The Truth of the Cipher is Complete. You will understand the Master's construction and why You and I speak of Right Love to Save Self by the appropriate handling of wisdom and ignorance."

"Existence is a continuous flow of Wisdom."

- Inquisitor asking: "Complete Woman, Wisdom built Arm-Leg-Leg-Arm-Head in Truth. Self-knowing One, why is Man Divine?"

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Sahabi

That's interesting.
I kinda think the message is just.

If you've had a bad day, relax cause the world keeps turning, plus god and stuff.

I'm probably wrong here, and all I know about the 5%'ers is from "Oz" so my opinion is also uneducated.
But, aren't they just the equivalent of a redneck nazi?

Erykah Badu's entire playlist seems to contradict those views. (Or I missed those views just like I did with this song)

Again, not saying you're wrong just trying to understand her motives here. The white dog attacking the blue thing on the clothesline could easily support your view tho.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

All I know about the 5%'ers is from "Oz" so my opinion is also uneducated.
But, aren't they just the equivalent of a redneck nazi?

Thanks for taking the time to check out this thread

I have never watched that show, but I'm familiar with its focus on prison culture.

The Five Percent Nation of Gods and Earths is an Afrocentric ideological system used to develop a realization of the Knowledge of Self ("Gnothi Seauton"). It teaches an incremental structure of discipline, knowledge, morals, ethics, and metaphysics. They believe that 85% of the population is deaf, dumb, and blind to truth and knowledge of self. 10% of the population uses lies and propaganda to oppress and control the 85%. And 5% of the population are Poor Righteous Teachers who work to free and uplift the 85%.

Exoterically, the literal readings of their teachings does espouse African-superiority and racism against Europeans/Whites. People of African heritage are known as "Original People," while White People are known as "Devils". However, a deeper study into the subject takes the edge off of this controversial teaching.

As White Americans have historically unleashed a tremendous amount of suffering, oppression, injustice, and inhumanity onto the enslaved and emancipated African Americans, it is understandable how African Americans came to view their enslavers and oppressors as devils.

The "Devil" is an anthropological archetype for ignorance and wickedness. A more thorough study into N.G.E. ideology reveals that 5%'ers believe that "devilish" is a character attribute, not an absolute trait of White People. 5%'ers believe that White People who have a predisposition toward racism, white-supremacy, and apathy can become Cultured and Civilized into Universal Brotherhood, thus standing triumphant over the Devil.

If we believe mainstream and academic interpretations of genetic research, again, we can find a surprising correlation between the science of genetics and the N.G.E. mythos of race development.

The N.G.E. and Nation of Islam teach that the Asiatic Black Man is the "Original Man" of mankind, and that the White Man was bred out-of the Original People, then corralled into Europe from Africa. This is in accord with the "Out of Africa Theory" of human evolution. This is further supported by research that suggests that pale skin and blue eyes were environmental adaptions and mutations that arose from a preceding standard of dark skin and dark eyes.

Please don't get me wrong, I do not believe that race, ethnicity, or lineage makes anyone superior or inferior, for I support Universal Brotherhood.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sahabi
Please don't get me wrong, I do not believe that race, ethnicity, or lineage makes anyone superior or inferior, for I support Universal Brotherhood.

I didn't think otherwise.

I'm just confused as Lauryn Hill or Peter Tosh seem to have a clearer message that would allign with the 5% views.
Still struggle to see it with Erykah.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Just a quote from her...

"Personally, I don’t choose any particular religion or symbol or group of words or teachings to define me. That’s between me and the most high. You know, my higher self. The Creator."

I guess she just isn't too preachy.
Definitely influenced as per your OP but she's not going door to door to teach it.

Thanks heaps, I'll be listening a lot closer in future.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Erykah Badu has professed to 5% Culture in the past, and the song "On & On" is a testament to her Mastery of its Sciences. I believe that Erykah has ascended beyond ideas of hate and separation, and that she is aligned with positivity and Love. This article touches upon the subject:
The Religion and Political Views of Erykah Badu.
Erykah Badu was even a featured performer at the 5% Nation's 50-Year Anniversary Celebration.

Erykah Badu Builds on the War With Self

Erykah Badu @ the Apollo. The Gods and Earths 50th Year Alive

Even through the weeds of racial undertones, if studied with the proper intent and focus, the N.G.E. offers a path of initiatic conscious awakening. This is similar to the contrast between the violent ideology of Islamic terror groups, versus the mystical ideology of the Sufis.

This is a personal opinion of mine, but I have come to believe that every religion, mythology, philosophy, and belief-system that touches on the inner-mystical nature of awareness will ultimately blossom the same realization:

“I salute the light within your eyes, where the whole universe dwells. For when you are at that center within you and I am at that place within me, we shall be one”
- Chief Crazy Horse, Oglala Lakota Sioux

May Peace be with you.

edit on 12/7/16 by Sahabi because: ONE

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Sorry, I think I gave the wrong impression. You're 100% right. I'm just annoyed I wasn't aware.

It's interesting stuff.

I look forward to your next song choice.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Thanks! As Erykah is more of a spiritualist, rather than religious, it's easy to overlook one of the cornerstones of her philosophical outlook, as she is a Uniter not divider. That's another thing that makes her Cipher more profound, it is skillfully veiled, not propagated or preached.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I just like her music. Sorta oldschool blues, sorta funk.
I'm impressed. Not many people like both Metallica and Badu, you strike out on Tool (Nu-metal isn't metal) but 2 outta 3 ain't bad.

I don't buy into spirituality, I don't understand it and I don't trust people that claim to (They're probably mislead, just like me). But if you want to look into spirituality philosophy in song, you can't go past...

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Very Nice!

May I add that when Baduism was out, she was a practicing Nuwaubian, and went to the Savior's Day celebrations in the late 90's-2000. In one of her later songs entitled "Me" she has a line that alludes to her affiliation :

"So many leaders to obey
But I was born on saviors day, yes
So I chose me -"

Then she reminds you of her NGE roots:
" Everything around you see
The ankhs, the wraps, the plus degrees
And, yes, even the mysteries
It's all me"

If you aren't familiar witht the Nuwabians take a look
[pic]ga5849c876.jpg[/pic

I have visited Eatanton, GA a few times in 2000.. the things I witnessed changes me forever
Nope not telling LOL
edit on 8-12-2016 by Istaywoke77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-12-2016 by Istaywoke77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

I advise that you read first the doctrine of the Nation of Gods and Earths
Then perhaps broaden your understanding by reviewing the tenants of Nuwabian doctrine.

This way you will be better able to understand the sons interpretation.

And yes, according to the National Islam teachings, Yakub is the father of the devil aka the melanin deficient aka albinism aka the Caucasian race. This is Nation of Islam teaching and is not related to this particular song. Nation Of Islam is a Black Nationalist Religion, therefore, racial superiority rhetoric is a major factor.

No needs to get up in arms about it.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Istaywoke77

May Peace be with you Brother. Thank you for the great addition to the discussion. I was completely unaware of Erykah having any affiliation with the philosophy. I am only vaguely familiar with Nuwaubianism, and know little-to-nothing about it's teachings. The Tama-Re estate looked like a very interesting place. I just read that it got demolished in 2005. I would have enjoyed to take in the architecture.

posted on Dec, 8 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Greetings of Peace to you my Brother. The Doors did a great job accompanying Morrison's spoken poetry. "Hour For Magic" has a pleasant sitar feeling to it. I love the lyrics, "We're trying for something that's already found us," from the somber "Freedom Exists". This trying, searching, and blindness of "something" is precisely the root to most of our sufferings and hurdles to universal freedom.

I sure enjoy the lyrics to, "An American Prayer"

"Do you know the warm progress under the stars?
Do you know we exist?
Have you forgotten the keys to the kingdom?
Have you been born yet, and are you alive?

Let's reinvent the gods, all the myths of the ages
Celebrate symbols from deep elder forests
Have you forgotten the lessons of the ancient war?

We need great golden copulations

The fathers are cackling in trees of the forest
Our mother is dead in the sea

Do you know we are being lead to slaughter by placid admirals
And that fat slow generals are getting obscene on young blood?

Do you know we are ruled by T.V.?

The moon is a dry blood beast
Guerrilla bands are rolling numbers
In the next block of green vine
Amassing for warfare on innocent herdsman who are just dying

O' great creator of being, grant us one more hour to perform our art and perfect our lives

The moths and atheists are doubly divine and dying

We live, we die, and death not ends it

Journey we more into the Nightmare
Cling to life our passioned flower
Cling to #s & Cocks of despair

We got our final vision by clap
Columbus's groin got filled with green death
I touched her thigh and death smiled

We have assembled inside this ancient and insane theatre
To propagate our lust for life and flee the swarming wisdom of the streets

The barns are stormed
The windows kept
And only one of all the rest to dance and save us with the divine mockery of words

Music inflames temperament

When the true King's murderers are allowed to roam free
A 1000 Magicians arise in the land

Where are the feasts we are promised?
Where is the wine, The new wine, dying on the vine?"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join