It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NFL Is Punishing A Player Who Uses Marijuana To Treat His Crohn’s Disease

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Rules is rules

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
This is why I'm advocating for a lawsuit to sort this legal nightmare out real quickly.

Looks like the new Attorney General is going to be way ahead of you.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
Rules is rules

great reason

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Marijuana is a banned substance in the union contract signed by the players representatives.
He's just going to have to deal with it.

The use should be allowed in my opinion but at this time it's not. This will not change either as long as it is a federally banned drug.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I suffer from severe crohn's, and I must say, marijuana has done WONDERS for me! I hated when i was on 30 pills in a given day (which was the highest amount I ever dealt with, combination of steroids and other drugs), which lasted for years, but now I'm down to 5.5 pills per day, which is WAY better.... I feel bad for this player, becuase I'm sure this does great things for his condition, as it does for mine as well. I hope the NFL soon gets with the times, because I'm sure many within the league could benefit from them terminating their stance, but first, they'll need all the states that hold NFL teams to make it legal so the whole league could follow/

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
First off id like to point out that i am pro legalization.

Buttt if my employer says i have to pass drug test annually and i were to get fired for not passing the drug test i cant complain. If he doesnt like the rules he can thank his union for agreeing to it, and go get another job where he is free to smoke.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
This is why I'm advocating for a lawsuit to sort this legal nightmare out real quickly.

Looks like the new Attorney General is going to be way ahead of you.

Ugh... That's something I'm not excited about either... Sessions is one of the biggest anti-pot crusaders in the country. It would only be worse if Trump had nominated Kevin Sabet.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Rules is rules

great reason

It is a great reason, last time I checked USADA and WADA aren't granting exemptions either and those are the gold standards.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Rules is rules

On the surface it sounds like this. But it isn't just rules that are the problem. It is the punishment, which the collective bargaining agreement allowed the Commissioner's office to have sole authority over. That is why The Steelers players rejected it when it came up for vote. They didn't like giving the commissioner that much power in exchange for making a little more money. Twerking in the endzone violates the rules, but a suspension isn't likely. Holding unauthorized practices is a violation that perhaps could give a team a competitive edge, and teams have been busted for it....no suspensions.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t
watchdog.org...

Under current federal standards, employers can test for drug use only when hiring an employee. The only exception is commercial driver’s license holders, who can be tested randomly. In Colorado, however, where pot is legal, the state Supreme Court, in Coats v. Dish Networks, upheld a statue that says employers may fire employees for marijuana use because federal law prohibits the drug.

That is the most recent case I have read about. With more ballot initiatives passing I have no doubt that it soon will not be tested for by an employer.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
So you can beat your spouse, use other, "Legal" drugs, but not something that is medically legal.

Yeah, Go NFL! You morons.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

Not if you are Ray Rice.
He shall not pass.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I believe you are correct...

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Yeah I remember that ruling. Unfortunate but that was a while back. We need new cases, or heck even appeals could help.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy
a reply to: RedDragon

Wrong. Marijuana doesn't give you a competitive edge. False equivalency

Yeah it definitely does. I used to box and marijuana reduced my fear of getting hit, and increased my ability to piece together combinations and punching in bunches. It also made finding openings easier, and made it much easier to "find a rhythm".

Regardless, all drugs banned need to be treated the same way. If marijuana is truly not a PED, it shouldn't be banned. But it is banned.
edit on 11/30/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/30/16 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Doesnt this fall under disability discrimination?

Crohns is a disability.

So surely punishing someone from takeing medication that treats there disability is discrimination?

Also those useing the line of "its a private buisness they can do what they want"
Would you be ok then with this man going on disability welfare?
Would you be ok with potentionaly work capable people siting on welfare because empolyers wont hire them while on there medication?
(Within reason, obviously there are limits as you can have a brain surgon on MJ ect)
edit on 30-11-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Crohns is a disability.

So surely punishing someone from takeing medication that treats there disability is discrimination?

Well, if it does fall under disability discrimination, then I have low testosterone, diabetes, and a growth hormone deficiency. I need prescriptions for anabolic steroids, insulin, and HGH. And I need to be allowed to compete on all of it.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

Marijuana is banned because the federal government still believes racist propaganda from the 30's about the plant not because of any scientific basis in reality. Even in the 30's scientists were screaming about how the plant wasn't evil and Congress didn't even LISTEN to a scientist on the matter until 1951 (where they promptly ignored his opinion and ratcheted up the penalties for usage).

Heck, to be perfectly honest, even the name "marijuana" is racist. The correct term is cannabis and the word marijuana was coined by racists who wanted to make up a Mexican-Spanish sounding word to make fun of the immigrants and black people who were using it.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedDragon

originally posted by: crazyewok

Crohns is a disability.

Well, if it does fall under disability discrimination, then I have low testosterone, diabetes, and a growth hormone deficiency. I need prescriptions for anabolic steroids, insulin, and HGH. And I need to be allowed to compete on all of it.

Way to chery pick.

If you noticed i said within reason.

Those drugs give you a competative edge so they would impact your job.

You wouldnt let somone on mefical MJ drive a truck or do surgery. But in sport it does not give you a competative edge.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zerodoublehero
First off id like to point out that i am pro legalization.

Buttt if my employer says i have to pass drug test annually and i were to get fired for not passing the drug test i cant complain. If he doesnt like the rules he can thank his union for agreeing to it, and go get another job where he is free to smoke.

Okay. So they say the players cant be opiate addicts. But then they get an injury and need the pills, but then it shows up in the "drug" testing so now they penalize him?

Considering the strain these guys endure to perform in that sport, them all using it in their off time should be mandated, if anything.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join