It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: Flag-burners should lose citizenship, or face year in jail

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

There are a lot of things that are Legal in America. Things not everyone agrees with posed by a group of People, not the Majority of them.

Absolute democracy would never insure safety or freedom to the minorities. Constitutional representative government does a better job.

Amendment 14, U.S. Constitution, Section 1. ratification, dated July 28, 1868

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I am a U.S. citizen because of this constitutional amendment. Tyrants who threaten my citizenship are not my president.

As for morality:
The Stars and Stripes tell a story, of 13 colonies successfully pulling off an insurrection against an empire, and then expanding to become a continent spanning empire itself, from sea to shining sea, and then an island queendom.

The story involves great feats and great injustices. The flag memorializes all that blood, glory, injustice, and justice mixed. We U.S. type Americans have no official gods to worship. The flag serves as a symbol for our secular historical national identity religion. Not all good, not all bad, quite heterogeneous in many ways. E Pluribus Unum

I won't burn flags.

ETA

My granddaughter saw a short clip while I was watching the news. I tried to explain what was happening.

She said, "That doesn't make sense; they'll just have to buy a new one. Right?"

edit on 30-11-2016 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:51 AM
link   
How about this?

HILLARY CLINTON Supporter Pisses and Poops over a DONALD TRUMP Placard and then wipes her # all over it with her bare hands. Yuck. www.liveleak.com...

1st world everyone.. 😂

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Posted:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Plus, no Trump doesn't have a point. It is a violation of the 1st Amendment as ruled on by SCOTUS.

I think the first amendment needs a little guidance. Burning the American flag on American soil is just wrong on so many levels. Personally, I bet a flag burner would think twice if looking down the barrel of a .44. Go for baby.

Ah yes. Promote non-violence with violence. Guess what? Threatening someone with a gun is a crime. Even a flag burner.

You sound like a SJW complaining about someone being racist. Deal with it. Free speech is free speech. Even the kind you don't like.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: mkultra11
It so happens that its illegal in quite a few western countries and punishable by jail and/or fines. It was only ruled constitutional in 89 by 5-4. It was brought by Congress for amendment in 06 and lost only by one vote. I'd say it will be brought up again this time with majority in favor.

That law came about in 1968. So that means for 192 years before that it was legal to burn the flag. Then a bunch of hippies did it to protest the war in Vietnam so they made it illegal. Now look. Liberals are burning the flag again and Conservatives want to ban it. Again.
edit on 30-11-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:37 AM
link   

As a veteran myself, and as someone who decided not to vote this year (I feel shameful) but as someone who has recently warmed up to President-Elect Donald Trump, I have to say he's wrong. It's called freedom of expression. While I hold the flag of the United States extremely dearly to me, and yes, it hurts when I see people disrespect it, I feel that it's their right to do so.

Can you imagine what would have happened in Nazi-Germany should a poor soul pull down one of the numerous Reichsflagge and stomping on it / burning it? I don't want that happening here in America. If you want to make them pay a fine? Sure. Slap them with a 250$ fine each time they're caught doing it. But prison? No. At least with the fine you know that if they're burning a flag it truly is something they believe in doing as they're paying for it unlike these SJW idiots who do it to piss people off.

My 0.2 of course.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst

Defacing the flag by burning is like spitting in the face of every Veteran who fought and died for Your Freedoms.

And...?

If someone wants to be ungrateful in that way, its their right to. I would suggest that denying them that right is far more of an insult to the veterans sacrifices and hard work than burning a stupid flag. Its a flag. Its nothing. Peoples rights on the other hand are valuable.
edit on 30-11-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: mkultra11
It so happens that its illegal in quite a few western countries and punishable by jail and/or fines. It was only ruled constitutional in 89 by 5-4. It was brought by Congress for amendment in 06 and lost only by one vote. I'd say it will be brought up again this time with majority in favor.

That law came about in 1968. So that means for 192 years before that it was legal to burn the flag. Then a bunch of hippies did it to protest the war in Vietnam so they made it illegal. Now look. Liberals are burning the flag again and Conservatives want to ban it. Again.

Conservatives...you know, they love their country so much they don't want to see the flag burned. They love their country so much, they will veto and block any initiative and measure in 8y ears from their black president, even if its for the good of their country.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

OK, fair enough.

Sounded kinda threat'ish to me, but OK.

Free speech trumps all. No one says you, or I for that matter, have to like it.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
by this time next year, burning the flag will be the least of our worries, speaking for the bottom 90% anyway. the gilded age has arrived

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Because of the mistaken belief that the flag is America.

No, it's not.

America is watching someone burn the flag, hating it, yet realizing that they have the right to do so as a form of protest. No one says we have to like it.

Let me ask, not just you, but everyone else who seems to think this is a horrible crime. What's next in your list of bannable things? A religion not yours? A political party you disagree with? This isn't how you make America great, again. Not even remotely.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Burning the flag is offensive.

But simply being offensive is not and should never be a crime.

Ever.

Or else I'd have my happy ass in jail.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Flag burning shouldn't be banned, it isn't against the law. However it is morally repugnant and a person committing the offense shouldn't expect everyone to applaud or look the other way. They should get all the flak and derision they deserve for doing it.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I'm all for Rights, and there's a limit to what's frowned upon such as smashing someones car up with a hockey stick for kicks, that's wrong. Banning is wrong on all levels. But I wanted to address the Why of it.

Why did they change the rules in 1969 and What led to that? I may not agree with flag burning, but personally imo, I think it's in bad taste, that's all.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

originally posted by: JesusXst

Defacing the flag by burning is like spitting in the face of every Veteran who fought and died for Your Freedoms.

And...?

If someone wants to be ungrateful in that way, its their right to. I would suggest that denying them that right is far more of an insult to the veterans sacrifices and hard work than burning a stupid flag. Its a flag. Its nothing. Peoples rights on the other hand are valuable.

You are absolutely right. As Molly I. said, "I much prefer a man who burns the flag and wraps himself in the Constitution to the one that burns the Constitution while wrapping himself in the flag.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Me, too.

I can be down right rude when need be.

posted on Nov, 30 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkphoenix77
Flag burning shouldn't be banned, it isn't against the law. However it is morally repugnant and a person committing the offense shouldn't expect everyone to applaud or look the other way. They should get all the flak and derision they deserve for doing it.

Which is, I'm pretty sure, exactly what does happen.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join