It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: Flag-burners should lose citizenship, or face year in jail

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I think he's got a point here.

Defacing the flag by burning is like spitting in the face of every Veteran who fought and died for Your Freedoms.

What do you guys think? Is it anti American to burn the Flag or Not?

www.stltoday.com... b05db8956.html

Donald Trump says that anyone who burns an American flag should face unspecified "consequences," such as jail or a loss of citizenship. The president-elect's tweet is a direct conflict with free speech rights guaranteed by the First Amendment to the Constitution. It comes as he struggles to name a secretary of state. He tweets: "Nobody should be allowed to burn the American flag - if they do, there must be consequences - perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!" It was not clear what prompted the tweet Tuesday morning. The Supreme Court ruled in 1969 that flag-burning is protected by the First Amendment.

What I'd like to address is the Morality of doing this, and what WW 1&2 Vets fought for. Regardless of whether or not it's Legal. There are a lot of things that are Legal in America. Things not everyone agrees with posed by a group of People, not the Majority of them.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

Posted:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Plus, no Trump doesn't have a point. It is a violation of the 1st Amendment as ruled on by SCOTUS.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Thanks for your supportive review, it's appreciated.

However, seeing as it's in the Mud Pit and my post isn't, it's still allowable.
edit on 29-11-2016 by JesusXst because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Translation: thanks for burying my dreams of what I was hoping would be a successful thread.

Not to pile on, but heres mine from a few hours ago:

Trump: burn the flag, go to jail and lose your citizenship.

edit on 29-11-2016 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

It still could be. You could be part of History in the making. Say something else!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst

Defacing the flag by burning is like spitting in the face of every Veteran who fought and died for Your Freedoms.

No, what Trump said is spitting in the face of every veteran who fought for our rights, including the right of free speech. He's a draft-dodging p.o.s. who seems to think that his brand of fake hyper-patriotism camoflouges his cowerdice.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
How dare people exercise their freedom, the monsters!

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
From a legal standpoint the Constitution gives those people every right to be disgusting human beings, so they do have the option. From a morality standpoint I as a citizen of this country have the right to voice my opinion on their behavior which I find truly disgusting and reprehensible. Needless to say I will be exercising that right at every turn. People that desecrate the flag in turn do spit on every person in history that died defending it and deserve to be called on it. They are worthless piles of excrement and I will enjoy voicing that opinion with a less civil tongue whenever the opportunity presents itself as they should be in my opinion shamed for their actions.

edit on 29-11-2016 by Darkphoenix77 because: clarification

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

I dislike, bordering on hatred, burning of flags.

However, it is an act of free speech, therefore I support the right, if not the act. There are better ways.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Posted:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Plus, no Trump doesn't have a point. It is a violation of the 1st Amendment as ruled on by SCOTUS.

I think the first amendment needs a little guidance. Burning the American flag on American soil is just wrong on so many levels. Personally, I bet a flag burner would think twice if looking down the barrel of a .44. Go for baby.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I hate seeing a flag burn or effigies when it happens, but I'd COMPLETELY oppose any ban against the right to do such things.

Besides, I like seeing the extreme nutcases expose themselves. Makes it easier to identify who they are.

edit on 29-11-2016 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

So cold blooded murder, or threat of, is an answer to an exercise of free speech? I have, shall we say, reservations as to the rightness of that...

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Sorry Donald, the First Amendment covers this.

I don't like it anymore than the next America loving Amero-centric citizen.
But it's that Amero-centrism that keeps me from wanting to punish people for their stupid speech.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nickn3
Personally, I bet a flag burner would think twice if looking down the barrel of a .44. Go for baby.

unreal
people in the other thread basically saying the same thing

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

So cold blooded murder, or threat of, is an answer to an exercise of free speech? I have, shall we say, reservations as to the rightness of that...

I didn't threaten murder. I am saying, just like Jonny Cash, don't burn my flag. Or you may be very disappointed.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I think the first amendment needs a little guidance. Burning the American flag on American soil is just wrong on so many levels. Personally, I bet a flag burner would think twice if looking down the barrel of a .44. Go for baby.

I'd still burn it while defending your right to bear arms.

You need to remember your rights are not pick in choose which others are allowed to follow.

Free Speech. Go ahead with your threats.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pebujesa

I'd still burn it while defending your right to bear arms.

You need to remember your rights are not pick in choose which others are allowed to follow.

Free Speech. Go ahead with your threats.

Again no threats, but I feel as strongly about burning the flag as you do about the first amendment. I simply think respect for your country superseded the first amendment.
edit on 29-11-2016 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Gotta go with 1st Amendment.

It's pretty weak in my opinion. They'd probably beat you to a pulp if you burned a rainbow flag.

But it's freedom.
edit on 29-11-2016 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

How I feel does not matter, I do not like many things that are a right to others and still stick up for them. By saying you want one right taken away means you are willing to loose other rights as well.

I feel the flag does not represent the people of the US it represents the military and government of the US. Something that is being abused by the government of the US. With it's history even though born and raised I can not stand to watch what it has become. I do not have to have a false idol on my property, person, or even like it.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkphoenix77
From a legal standpoint the Constitution gives those people every right to be disgusting human beings, so they do have the option. From a morality standpoint I as a citizen of this country have the right to voice my opinion on their behavior which I find truly disgusting and reprehensible. Needless to say I will be exercising that right at every turn. People that desecrate the flag in turn do spit on every person in history that died defending it and deserve to be called on it. They are worthless piles of excrement and I will enjoy voicing that opinion with a less civil tongue whenever the opportunity presents itself as they should be in my opinion shamed for their actions.

People who share your beliefs obviously have never put on a uniform and fought for anything. I have, and I can tell you that we were not fighting for a piece of colored nylon. I can tell you that when we gathered together with mess hall cofee at 5 a.m. for a mission brief, we all were not all, "Let's go out there this morning and get shot at and bomb the Long Bien bridge for the effing flag. We didn't climb into and strap on 9000 pounds of jet fuel and 18,650 pounds of high explosive devices, and head into AAA and Sam sites to protect a flag. We did it for each other, hoping that by getting shot at and blowing crap up, our brothers might get to go home in one piece.While Donald Trump was honoring the flag by dodging the draft and living his entitled life, other young men took his place. OK, now, who deserves citizenship?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join