It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Donald Trump expected to slash Nasa's climate change budget in favour of sending humans back to the

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   

President-elect Donald Trump is set to slash Nasa's budget for monitoring climate change and instead set a goal of sending humans to the edge of the solar system by the end of the century, and possibly back to the moon.

According to Bob Walker, who has advised Mr Trump on space policy, Nasa has been reduced to "a logistics agency concentrating on space station resupply and politically correct environmental monitoring".

Mr Walker, a former congressman who chaired President George W. Bush's Commission on the Future of the US Aerospace Industry, told The Telegraph: "We would start by having a stretch goal of exploring the entire solar system by the end of the century.

Under President George W. Bush's Constellation programme a trip back was planned in the 2020s, but Mr Obama cancelled it.

However, much of the Constellation equipment will be available and Mr Trump is receiving advice from several figures who are keen to launch a new lunar mission as a stepping stone to Mars. There is even a possibility men could be back on the moon by the end of a second Trump term.

Trump slash Nasa's climate change budget for THE MOON

Ok...finally!!!

The two greatest achievements in the history of mankind were splitting the atom and walking on the moon…first achieved in 1969 by the United States of America....

George W. Bush would've seen us back on the moon but president Obama stopped and dismantled both the constellation and Ares V programs respectively…

In fact Obama redirected NASA to a new primary mission: a mission best explained by Administrator Bolden himself..

So let's keep our ATS fingers crossed that our new president actually wants us to conquer the stars and do the other things instead of foolish pseudo-scientific nonsense bordering on religion(looking at you al Gore)

-Chris
edit on 20-11-2016 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/20/2016 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

+21 more 
posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Go Trump!

Our future is out there among the stars, not looking at stupid ice and polar bears.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I didn't think the president controlled the budget.
And I dint know he told nasa how to spend theirs.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Good news.
I think most of the world still looks to NASA to advance mankind into space, i know i do.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Justanotherman

After the diaster of the Shuttles and budget cuts since Bush I I gave up on NASA. The private sector is where my hopes lie.

Though Trump has given me some hope.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Um...seriously???
Wikipedia even knows Obama did this and Wikipedia is, well, Wikipedia:

Subsequent to the findings of the Augustine Committee in 2009 that the Constellation Program could not be executed without substantial increases in funding, on February 1, 2010, President Barack Obama announced a proposal to cancel the program, effective with the passage of the U.S. 2011 fiscal year budget...

-Chris

link   
a reply to: Christosterone

#ing bravo! It is about time we focus on space again, because the Chinese certainly never stopped. We cannot allow them to edge over our capabilities. I say we need to focus on constructing bases on the moon that would also be research stations. ISS can be evolved into a go between. Then we should have satellite laser weapons for the aliens that will eventually step up against us.

link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Private sector isnt ready yet to do that.
All they are currently interested in is to make money off of sending ppl into space.
The tech for mining in space/other planets still needs to be developed and i seriously doubt that any private Enterprise will put in the billions it will take to develop that. Even if they say they would.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The shuttle set nasa back 30 years. Asking Russia for a ride is embarrassing.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

However, much of the Constellation equipment will be available and Mr Trump is receiving advice from several figures who are keen to launch a new lunar mission as a stepping stone to Mars.

Stepping stone to Mars. They said the same thing last time we visited the moon. They said the same thing when constructing the ISS (a stepping stone to moon colonies).

doanchubleebit

I don't know what they really intend, or are covering up, but its not to live on moon or mars. Both are inhospitable to life.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I think it is pretty obvious for most ppl that their goals arent what they say they are.
Be it military, prestige or just cold hard cash (mining etc) does it really matter what they intend?
As long as the tech gets made, it will eventually flow into private hands and be used in other ways.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Um...seriously???
Wikipedia even knows Obama did this and Wikipedia is, well, Wikipedia:

Subsequent to the findings of the Augustine Committee in 2009 that the Constellation Program could not be executed without substantial increases in funding, on February 1, 2010, President Barack Obama announced a proposal to cancel the program, effective with the passage of the U.S. 2011 fiscal year budget...

-Chris

He submits a budget request to congress. After that he's done until signing.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

He should slash all of NASA, privatize it, it would be much more efficient.

We're also $20 TRILLION dollars in debt.

Not to mention that NASA is yet another government agency/program which has no Constitutional authority to exist.

The Founding Fathers anticipated people's desire/nature to spend, waste and expand the size of government which is why they were quite specific in Article 1 Section 8.

Anything not mentioned here was to be left to the states, which tried to ensure governance from the bottom up, not the top down.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Finally NASA will stop wasting time and money, thanks to Trump.

edit on 20-11-2016 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This is great news. We put in so little resources to funding deep exploration. Climate change is a non-issue if we reach for the stars.

People already have the information available to them, and can make informed decisions on how to live their lives, regardless of what view they come to with that information.

I'd rather we push a little harder than humans reaching the edge of the solar system by end of century. It's a good leap for now, but as we progress let's advance the plans and see what we're truly capable of.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Be it military, prestige or just cold hard cash (mining etc) does it really matter what they intend?
As long as the tech gets made, it will eventually flow into private hands and be used in other ways.

The tech already exists to go to the moon. If they intend to go back they will have to go the same way they did before.

Besides adjusting for inflation, making the same goal ten, a hundred times more expensive, the physics of achieving orbit, translunar injection, orbiters and landers need to be employed the same as before. The enormous amount of fuel required ends up with the tiniest reserve to launch from the moon to return to earth. And it better work, theres only enough air for a few days of sitting in a tin can and sun bathing in the solar wind.

The trickle down effect is minor, especially if technology is sucked up by the military that keeps it secret for security sake.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Ye the tech to go to the moon is here.
That same tech can maybe get us to mars aswell, but any further then that? not a chance.

So thats not exactly the kind of thing i ment.

If humanity wishes to survive, simply going to another planet in the same solar system is quite useless. We'd need to be able to go out into other solar systems. That tech does not exist yet and is what i ment.

edit on 20-11-2016 by Justanotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

He should slash all of NASA, privatize it, it would be much more efficient.

We're also $20 TRILLION dollars in debt.

Not to mention that NASA is yet another government agency/program which has no Constitutional authority to exist.

The Founding Fathers anticipated people's desire/nature to spend, waste and expand the size of government which is why they were quite specific in Article 1 Section 8.

Anything not mentioned here was to be left to the states, which tried to ensure governance from the bottom up, not the top down.

Yeah, sure, ok...Elon musk is doing swimmingly...NASA got to space in the 1950s FYI

With a small percentage of GDP the United States can conquer the solar system and subsequently the stars…

For if we fortify ourselves and apply our will there is nothing unreachable for America…

Perhaps we need another Werner Von Braun...or Trump for my purposes

-Christosterone

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   

If humanity wishes to survive, simply going to another planet in the same solar system is quite useless. We'd need to be able to go out into other solar systems. That tech does not exist yet and is what i meant.

That tech already exists, too. How you think we got here?

Don't take that the wrong way, I agree about the uselessness of 'colonizing' other planets in the solar system. My personal opinion is they (we) are exploring every nook and cranny of our own solar system to find the bases of the visitors. They have to be there when you consider orbital mechanics, deceleration from interstellar flight, refueling, remote bases, yada, yada...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   
US can make money back by mining the moon. Set up a Colony and deep space launch facility. Much cheaper to go into deep space from the moon once you got the infrastructure going.
edit on 20-11-2016 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join