It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese moon god of the Akkadian culture.. huh??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:39 PM
link   

3,600 Year Old Gold And Silver Offerings Found In Canaanite Gezer

Israeli archaeologists announced the discovery Monday of a rare treasure of gold and silver objects dating back about 3,600 years to the Middle Bronze Age, or the Canaanite period. They were found in the archaeological site of the Tel Gezer National Park, in the Judean foothills near Beit Shemesh.

So far so good Canaanite find Hyksos related all good, but then it get to the title and the highlighted part below.

]The central deposit is a pendant with an eight-pointed star within a 3.8 cm diameter disc and a crescent on top of it, which represents a well-known symbol dating to over 1000 years before that time period. Dr. Irit Ziffer identified the symbol as representing both Ishtar, the Mesopotamian East Semitic goddess of fertility, love, war, sex and power, as well as the Chinese moon god of the Akkadian culture. Read more at archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...[/url]

I am generally good at reading comprehension , but what do they mean exactly, are they saying that the Akkadians shared cultural features with the Chinese or are they making a comparison without any implied connection.
edit on 19-11-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

That has me stumped too. Hmmm...

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
There was trade between countries for a very long time, China and India were big at trade and the Israelites were good at setting up trade. That doesn't surprise me at all. There was even trade going on with some places in Northern Europe back in those days, there is some evidence in the ancient writings and they are finding artifacts in northern Europe from Italy and Mediterranean countries of the time frame above.

There is not too much known about the trade routes though, there were some ships but also there were roads that connected places and they lined those roads with rocks to show the way. Early European writings talk about farmers putting rocks on the side of the trails from their fields. Even the Indians did that here in America but settlers used them to build their foundations and root cellars. The Americas also had an extensive trade network. Supposedly that goes back at least two thousand years and it utilized rivers more than Europe seemed to do. .

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Sounds like they don't know their Akkadian from their Bagua. Keisaku!
edit on 20-11-2016 by Namdru because: kyosaku --> keisaku

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

4 civilizations emerged at the same time, Egypt, China, India and Babylon, trading routes which shared technology, food, metal, craftsmanship..

Don't forget you can't tell The Americans, yet..

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
I am generally good at reading comprehension , but what do they mean exactly, are they saying that the Akkadians shared cultural features with the Chinese or are they making a comparison without any implied connection.

I suspect it is an error in translation. Of course there are comparisons and shared characteristics between Moon dieties, often extending to symbolic representation, but I seriously doubt that an archaeologist would lump Chinese and Akkadian together like that. I reckon it has been translated into (poorly?) English.

Nice find all the same.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anaana

I suspect it is an error in translation. Of course there are comparisons and shared characteristics between Moon dieties, often extending to symbolic representation, but I seriously doubt that an archaeologist would lump Chinese and Akkadian together like that. I reckon it has been translated into (poorly?) English.

You're probably right, although years ago I looked into a claim that ancient Chinese had some words possibly borrowed from Akkadian. The claim appears to be based on some old work (1894) concerning the I Ching. You can read some of it here: Google Books

The Akkadian Moon god was Sin (Christians will have fun with that one.) The symbol in the OP is purely Mesopotamian and does represent the Moon god. But the Chinese Moon goddess has a symbol as well - it's a rabbit.

Harte

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 05:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte
The Akkadian Moon god was Sin

This could be the clue to a mistranslation, because in English "Sinic" means Chinese. "Sin" can be another way of pronouncing "Chin".
Some translator (or translation software) may have wrongly chosen this option instead of taking "Sin" as the name.
edit on 20-11-2016 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
We expanded across the globe from one source. It's inevitable that different cultures share similar features.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

That is the symbol of Baal / Allah

The Crescent and Morning Star (Lucifer) Rising with the dawn.

edit on 20-11-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Here's a pic of Sin. Note the symbol.

Same god here.

Harte
edit on 11/20/2016 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

LOL Do you believe everything you see on youtube? Here's what Surah 41:37 has to say about that:

Sahih International translation
And of His signs are the night and day and the sun and moon. Do not prostrate to the sun or to the moon, but prostate to Allah, who created them, if it should be Him that you worship.

Muhsin Khan translation
And from among His Signs are the night and the day, and the sun and the moon. Prostrate not to the sun nor to the moon, but prostrate to Allah Who created them, if you (really) worship Him.

Yusuf Ali translation
Among His Signs are the Night and the Day, and the Sun and the Moon. Do not prostrate to the sun and the moon, but prostrate to Allah, Who created them, if it is Him ye wish to serve.

Pickthall translation
And of His portents are the night and the day and the sun and the moon. Adore not the sun nor the moon; but adore Allah Who created them, if it is in truth Him Whom ye worship.

For those who don't know, a portent/"sign" in Islam is simply a sign of God's Creation. We believe their are signs of His existence all around us. And not only does the Qur'an describe in detail Allah's expulsion of Shaytan/Satan/Iblis (Surah 7:11-onward, Pickthall translation), but we even recite Surah 114 HERE to ask God for protection from Shaytan's evil. (facepalm)

On topic: Sorry Spider for being off topic. Usually I ignore that crap but I was really interested in where this thread was going. I don't know enough about the specifics to contribute to it, but I'll happily keep reading to learn more.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

3,600 Year Old Gold And Silver Offerings Found In Canaanite Gezer

Israeli archaeologists announced the discovery Monday of a rare treasure of gold and silver objects dating back about 3,600 years to the Middle Bronze Age, or the Canaanite period. They were found in the archaeological site of the Tel Gezer National Park, in the Judean foothills near Beit Shemesh.

So far so good Canaanite find Hyksos related all good, but then it get to the title and the highlighted part below.

]The central deposit is a pendant with an eight-pointed star within a 3.8 cm diameter disc and a crescent on top of it, which represents a well-known symbol dating to over 1000 years before that time period. Dr. Irit Ziffer identified the symbol as representing both Ishtar, the Mesopotamian East Semitic goddess of fertility, love, war, sex and power, as well as the Chinese moon god of the Akkadian culture. Read more at archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com...[/url]

Akkadian language was made up of another language , namely Turkic , an Asian tribe who ruled over both China & Europe , as well as Middle East & Levant .

Furthermore Hyksos also spoke a Turkic dialect .

Nostratic is the word you should research to get deeper.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

originally posted by: Harte
The Akkadian Moon god was Sin

This could be the clue to a mistranslation, because in English "Sinic" means Chinese. "Sin" can be another way of pronouncing "Chin".
Some translator (or translation software) may have wrongly chosen this option instead of taking "Sin" as the name.

Cin is how you say China in Western Turkic .

Atilla the Hun is not a Han but a Hun .

Han and Hun got separated by the melting of snow.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: 23432

From what I have read, Akkadian is basically Semitic which came out of the larger Afrasian super family , one source although admittedly wiki said.

Old Akkadian, which was used until the end of the 3rd millennium BC, differs from both Babylonian and Assyrian, and was displaced by these dialects. By the 21st century BC Babylonian and Assyrian, which were to become the primary dialects, were easily distinguishable. Old Babylonian, along with the closely related dialect Mariotic, is clearly more innovative than the Old Assyrian dialect and the more distantly related Eblaite language. For this reason, forms like lu-prus ('I will decide') are first encountered in Old Babylonian instead of the older la-prus (even though it was archaic compared to Akkadian). On the other hand, Assyrian developed certain innovations as well, such as the "Assyrian vowel harmony" ((which is not comparable to that found in Turkish or Finnish).Eblaite is even more archaic, retaining a productive dual and a relative pronoun declined in case, number and gender. Both of these had already disappeared in Old Akkadian.

Hyksos
Ebalite it's distant relative was also Semitic , so where and when did the Turkic influence came from.
The Hyksos on the other hand while largely Semitic may have had Indo European elements in the form of the Hurrians, [although all cannot agree] which intern linked them to central Asia and thus conceivably Turkic.
Source
Indo European migration

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

It's a mistranslation.

The find is actually several years old (some website just got around to posting breathlessly about it.) There is actually a published report on the material and the site that was aannounced last year

It's a tad expensive for my wallet, though.

To those trying to make a Sin/Chin/etc connection...

Please remember that these people didn't speak English. The English that you know is less than 400 years old (Shakespearean English and American English are different. And Chaucer's English is unreadable to many English speakers - and those books are only 700 years old.)

Akkadian is more than 3,000 years old.

Also realize that the English names for countries and culture groups are NOT what these people call themselves. Germans call themselves "Deutsch", for instance. Egyptians call themselves "Mosri" The Chinese call their country "Zhongguo"

...etc.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Ebalite it's distant relative was also Semitic , so where and when did the Turkic influence came from.

It's a modern language. It has as much similarity to Akkadian as American English has to Beowulf's English (actually it is less similar but that was the most convenient example everyone might know...)

The Hyksos on the other hand while largely Semitic may have had Indo European elements in the form of the Hurrians,

They were a confederation of nine or perhaps 12 different peoples. They were not a single culture group with a single language.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

That is the symbol of Baal / Allah

No, it isn't. The symbol has nothing to do with Islam, nor is this the only culture to use a crescent moon topped by a star as a symbol. In this case, it's an extremely old symbol by a Middle Eastern culture that was forgotten by the time of Muhammad's birth.

When you see something "startlingly outrageous'" on YouTube, start checking the sources. Find out where the idea started. In many cases (as with this one) you will find it's something modern that someone made up and connected to the Bible to make it "believable" to anyone who's not checking.

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

a reply to: Spider879 It's a mistranslation. The find is actually several years old (some website just got around to posting breathlessly about it.) There is actually a published report on the material and the site that was aannounced last year

And this will confuse any layperson. thanks to you and others for clearing that up.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd
To those trying to make a Sin/Chin/etc connection...

Please remember that these people didn't speak English.

Just to clarify- I was only making that connection as a way of explaining the modern mistranslation.
Ths supposition was that the modern translator saw the phrase "moon-god Sin", found "Sin" in his dictionary or its databank as a synonym for Chinese, and duly translated "Chinese moon-god".
I still think this looks like the most plausible explanation of the modern mistake.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join