It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Encryption apps see 400 percent growth since election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Encrypted messaging apps are becoming more and more popular. People seem to be more concerned about their privacy since Trump has won the election. They are getting apps such as Signal and Wickr to protect their privacy, since they can't be accessed by law enforcement.

I am considering getting one of these apps myself. I don't have anything to hide but I think i would feel better knowing BigBrother isn't monitoring my activity. What i say and do is nobody's business and i'm not breaking any laws. On the other hand it's more difficult to stop terrorist cells or anyone else who are planning attacks.

Signal uses end-to-end encryption, so that no one — not even the people at Signal — can read the messages you send to others. It's not the only encrypted app that's seen an uptick in use — another messaging app, Wickr, also told us they have also seen a noticeable increase in downloads. Marlinspike said that the growth has to do with people seeking a safe haven. "Donald Trump is about to be in control of the least accountable surveillance apparatus in the history of the world. That's something that's been expanding under Obama, and I think people were comfortable with that in the sense that they trusted his personal judgment. I think people are less comfortable with how Donald Trump is going to use that."

www.marketplace.org...

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
So people are just now starting to worry about big brother watching them? Little late for that...They should of never allowed a surveillance state to be constructed around them in the first place. They have only themselves to blame.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thoren
So people are just now starting to worry about big brother watching them? Little late for that...They should of never allowed a surveillance state to be constructed around them in the first place. They have only themselves to blame.

All done under the name of "Patriotism."

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: kelbtalfenek

I think that popular Benjamin Franklin quote is relevant in this case.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

The people gave up a Liberty for what they thought was security and now it could come back to bite them in the butt. This is why you do not sacrifice freedoms no matter the cost. You do not allow such things to exist because they can and will be used for tyranny in the long run.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Thoren

From the very beginning...IE: the days following September 12, 2001, I said that the US would be essentially prisoners of our own freedoms, and that the citizens would rather lose freedoms than be frightened...and in doing such we actually allowed terrorism to win.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   
You sure it's got nothing to do with SOPA being passed in the UK.. I mean.. that makes more sense right..

But nope, has to be about Donald Trump... sure.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: EchoesInTime
People seem to be more concerned about their privacy since Trump has won the election.

I speculate it has more to do with Assange's activities opposed to Trump's election.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thoren

In Germany they are much more open about the issues. For example the history of Rommel and the German field cipher was way over exposed.

Politicians make the case, persuasively, that while they approve of greater security in communications to limit things such as fraud, when it comes to issues of national security, they want there to be the ability to investigate what people are saying to one another. It is a long-held compromise that has worked in the best interests of nations for a long time despite periodically swinging too far in favor of the naturally secretive security services.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Cauliflower

Well good on their politicians on being open about it with their citizens but i'm afraid in the U.S. it is a somewhat different case. We thankfully have the 4th amendment here...Or we did, it might as well for all intents and purposes be considered not a right anymore since it has been almost completely circumvented. They shouldn't be spying on us. Period.

posted on Nov, 18 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Been using them for several years now .

top topics

join