It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic advanced generation jet electric turbine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Patent link

Patent link

Supersonic Magnetic Advanced Generation Jet Electric Turbine (S-MAGJET)
described herein, and a subsonic derivative, MAGJET, integrate a gas power turbine, superconducting electric power and propulsion generation, and magnetic power flux field systems along with an ion plasma annular injection combustor which utilizes alternative petroleum-based fuel and combustion cycles to create a hybrid turbine turbomachine for aerospace propulsion. The propulsion unit is able to achieve a dramatic increase in horsepower, combustion and propulsion efficiency, and weight reduction. In addition, the turbomachinery structures may be disposed within an exo-skeleton architecture that achieves an increase in thrust to weight ratio with a concomitant increase in fuel efficiency and power generation over traditional gas turbine technology today. The engine continuously adjusts the temperature, pressure and mass airflow requirements using an electromagnetic power management system architecture. Engine performance may be controlled across the entire desired flight envelope, whether subsonic, transonic or supersonic flight conditions.

S-MAGJET as described herein also generates excess electric power. In the 54,700 lb. thrust class, which is 41,000 shaft horse power, the engine is able to generate 30.5 megawatts electric power, from the standpoint of the engine operating at cruise conditions, e.g., Mach 3.4 and 70,000 feet on a standard day, and in which 7.0 megawatts are reserved for running any of the onboard electrical needs of the aircraft, from aircraft health monitoring, guidance and control, avionics, electrical flight control systems to sensor arrays in military applications.

Go on, read the rest of the patent. It's like a textbook on 21st century engine research.

And who is Sonic Blue Aerospace?
edit on 11-11-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
There sure has been a lot of chatter over this lately. That's about all I can add to the conversation, as I haven't mastered the google search and all caps posts yet.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Finally someone noticed this tech. It was about time! I´ve been following this since 2011...

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

Makes you wonder if the Green Lady's engine tech is about to go white.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Ohh, I know nothing of this, but it sounds interesting. Flagged and starred, I'll try to keep up.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barnalby

Makes you wonder if the Green Lady's engine tech is about to go white.

I think this could be a generation after Green Lady. As I guess, GL uses boranes ('zip fuel') which are high energy but nasty in lots of ways and cause the emerald green glow in the exhaust.

This one appears to be straight dino juice. That would be an upgrade.

edit on 11-11-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
The S-MAGJET engine is being used in a plane being developed by a company called HyperMach. They started somewhere back in 2010 or 2011. They have laid low for a while but there has been a buzz about them lately. Nextbigfuture had two stories up on them on one day! Their timeline is to have an operational jet in 2021.

Here is the link to their site explaining some of the technology they plan on using. This is pretty cool stuff being done. I had to read it a few times to wrap my mind around it. Even then I am not sure if I understand all of it well enough to explain to somebody else.

HyperMach website: The Science
edit on 11-11-2016 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Here is the hypersonic variant :H-MAGJET

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

You never know, magnetic shaping of the combustion gasses could have been how they circumvented the whole "boric oxide deposits" issue that TEB fuels had in the 60's.

posted on Nov, 11 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hi all. Normally I read ATS for pleasure rather than to interrupt. But yesterday I was reading about "VTOL Black Triangle UCAV Concept"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

a thread started by intelgurl way back in 2006 here on ATS, briefly a combination of RR Turbofan type engine and electric powered fans.(Mach 6-7 possible) so "This particular vehicle concept could match the "best of both worlds".

One problem was finding enough electrical power.

Reading this latest post I notice that "S-MAGJET as described herein also generates.... excess electric power".
Could the two be linked in some way.
(I appreciate a Turbofan is not going to power a craft to Mach 6, so I suppose other power sources would have been involved.)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I miss the Red Mercury discussions...

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: dowot
Hi all. Normally I read ATS for pleasure rather than to interrupt. But yesterday I was reading about "VTOL Black Triangle UCAV Concept"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

a thread started by intelgurl way back in 2006 here on ATS, briefly a combination of RR Turbofan type engine and electric powered fans.(Mach 6-7 possible) so "This particular vehicle concept could match the "best of both worlds".

One problem was finding enough electrical power.

Reading this latest post I notice that "S-MAGJET as described herein also generates.... excess electric power".
Could the two be linked in some way.
(I appreciate a Turbofan is not going to power a craft to Mach 6, so I suppose other power sources would have been involved.)

Interesting, but utilizing that excess electrical power also puts a resistance and drag on the system. I wonder how that unit is configured in order to benefit from generating an electric field it would then use to give it more thrust.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Thank you glad someone brought that up. Are some of this turbines componants in the wrong order and are pieces missing?

Although its pretty damned sweet what the maglev stuff in the turbibe itself can do. Id want that for sure.

I say greenlady is a sophisticated girl and so is her turbine and powerplant.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Paragraphs 140-149 are of interest.

Discusses drawback of hall effect acting like a break on exhaust gasses (at the MHD generator stage ) and how they may be able to get around that possibly.

My question is if your extracting energy from the exhaust wouldnt that potentially kill the thrust a little?

On the upside striping electrons or taking some juice out of them could cool the exhaust helping to reduce IR at a cost of speed.

Using seeding. Are there alternative ways to ionize the exhaust than dumping selenium powder into the exhaust.

Are there ways for maximum thrust that efficiently charge up the energy levels of the electrons in the gas.

Could you get your 20mw of power elsewhere.

If you wanted to cool the exhaust are there alternatives to de energizing electrons via MHD. If there were a way would that have a peculiar byproduct
edit on 12-11-2016 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

We have to remember this is a shaftless engine, a total departure from current engine design that allows to expand the Brayton cycle because each stage is operating at its ideal rpm.

The generation in the superconducting contra-rotating turbine stages running each at different rpm provided by the particular design of the blades not only drives the fan and compresor stages, but it also allow for excess generation due to the former. All the power that drives the engine and aircraft´s systems is born here.

Then this stream of gases already ionized via the plasma combustion and the electric field of the turbine is seeded and passes an MHD accelerator that is driven by the turbine generator in supersonic regimes that acts like a "turbocharger" for the system. The seeding increases the current in the gas stream an order of magnitude.

The excess generation is very useful for the proposed EDR (plasma drag reduction) technology that they plan to put in Hyperstar, but could also drive some very interesting DEW in another applications...

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Fastmover

It just amazes me how much some members here on ATS know and understand. Afraid I got lost in the shaftless engine bit.

Once we got rid of steam engines I was floundering. Hehe.
Blackfinger, so do I.
I shall now return to my reading and enjoying status.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

I think chemical formulations and materials (and maybe aerodynamics) could ameliorate, but not eliminate the problem. But even still, the toxicity, expense, and handling hazards and logistical problems (which tanks can hold it over the world vs standard jet fuel?) make it a major liability.

Burning boranes makes boron oxides (reactive) and boron carbides---super hard and sharp, used in drill bits, after all. Engine overhauls must be frequent and nasty.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
Paragraphs 140-149 are of interest.

Discusses drawback of hall effect acting like a break on exhaust gasses (at the MHD generator stage ) and how they may be able to get around that possibly.

My question is if your extracting energy from the exhaust wouldnt that potentially kill the thrust a little?

Of course: conservation of energy. LIttle different than running the A/C in your car.

Now, if you used the juice to reduce drag via plasma or lasers or whatever in a way which pays for itself energetically, that would be cool.

If you use it to power a laser or high-power jammer, then surely there's some drag. But you wouldn't need to run those for hours most likely.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fastmover
Finally someone noticed this tech.

Took you guys long enough. I've been sprinkling hints and beating around the bushes on this for about two years.

posted on Nov, 12 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I've caught a few dtic presentation PDFs surrounding this concept with really exciting subheadings like shockless supersonic intakes, mach 0-7 on conventional fuels and a single turbine, and etc.

Things are sure getting interesting...

It also sheds light on why western cruise missile and anti ship missile developments weren't keeping up with the Joneses.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join