It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else saving up to go to Space?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   
About a year ago I opened up a savings account strictly for space travel. I've been adding to it monthly and it's looking like it'll take around 20 years for me to be able to afford the current price tag. I'm hoping that within that time frame the price will drop due to advances in technology and spaceflight becoming more normalized. Going to space has been a dream of mine since I was a kid. Of course, all of this rests on the planet not imploding before then. I figure it's at least worth a shot though.

I've heard it all from people I've told about this, if you're saving up you should buy a house, you should buy this, that, blah, blah, blah. I believe the only things any of us take with us when we leave this life are our experiences, everything else is borrowed. I'd much rather invest in an experience that will always be with me than something material that isn't guaranteed to last, and won't, given enough time. I'd really like to take an orbital flight, but if the price tag hasn't dropped enough by the time I can afford to go I'll settle for sub-orbital.

Space Tourism- How much you should save for a trip
financesonline.com...

Virgin Galactic
www.virgingalactic.com...

XCOR Space Expeditions
spaceexpeditions.xcor.com...

Space Tourism Wiki
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Two words,,,, fair play!!

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Nope, but hopefully they will have 'win a trip into space' contests, of which I will most certainly enter - many times, if I am allowed.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I don't need to. I get regular trips to the secret Mason-Illuminati moon base we have had there since the 1950's that used Nazi technology to establish.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I don't need to. I get regular trips to the secret Mason-Illuminati moon base we have had there since the 1950's that used Nazi technology to establish.

Both of my grandfathers were Masons, think I could get a discount?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Nope, but hopefully they will have 'win a trip into space' contests, of which I will most certainly enter - many times, if I am allowed.

You could sign up for Mars One.

link   

I'd much rather invest in an experience that will always be with me than something material that isn't guaranteed to last, and won't, given enough time.

Not much equity in a one shot space ride, just saying...

link   

Of course!!!

Unless someone beat us to your internal organs...

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadCat

originally posted by: InTheLight

You could sign up for Mars One.

I would sign up for Mars One if I thought I had a chance in hell of making the cut.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I'd much rather invest in an experience that will always be with me than something material that isn't guaranteed to last, and won't, given enough time.

I'd happily continue renting the rest of my life if it means I can go to space. There's some things worth more than money to me.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   

I think Elon Musk's consortium has a better chance of getting there first. Is he taking volunteers?

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I think Elon Musk's consortium has a better chance of getting there first. Is he taking volunteers?

Not sure about that. I spent some time going over all the current companies about a year ago but by the time I can possibly afford to go who knows if any of the companies will even be in business.

I'll wait until the time is closer before I start seriously considering who I want to take me there, for now its just a dream to save towards.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Why don't you save your money on a trip to Mars? It would seem worth while. I myself have always wanted to live and die on another world that I could call a new future home.

If any space travel agency was able to send expendable people to live and die on Mars and build habitats for future crews I would do it.

Sadly my dream will never come true, I pray to any God my next life will not be born on Earth.
edit on 7-11-2016 by 4N0M4LY because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Right now I'm saving up for a Playstation 4 Pro.

Space travel will need to take a back seat for the time being.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

I'd happily continue renting the rest of my life if it means I can go to space. There's some things worth more than money to me.

Saving that long might mean losing interest, if not invested, due to inflation. Twenty years?

How about an edge of space right now flight where you get to hold the controls? 16,500 Euros, "Edge of Space"

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY
Why don't you save your money on a trip to Mars? It would seem worth while. I myself have always wanted to live and die on another world that I could call a new future home.

If any space travel agency was able to send expendable people to live and die on Mars and build habitats for future crews I would do it.

Sadly my dream will never come true, I pray to any God my next life will not be born on Earth.

I'd much rather go to Mars but I doubt it'll be cheap enough by the time I'm wanting to go.

Barring a black triangle picking me up from my house I think I'll just have to settle for a sub-orbital flight.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Tempting.

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I don't think it would hurt to try.

I am fairly skeptical of Mars One as much of their rhetoric and actions has so far been flawed. The latest Google search tells me they're merging with a failed mobile payment company as a means of trying to sell stock. /shrug

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Saving that long might mean losing interest, if not invested, due to inflation. Twenty years?

How about an edge of space right now flight where you get to hold the controls? 16,500 Euros, "Edge of Space"

Edge of space is still edge of space. I want to go full on space, views of the earth, stars, everything. Maybe even a spacewalk if its cheap enough by then. I've had this dream for over 20 years, so what's another 20.

That's true about inflation, I'll definitely look into what I need to do in the meantime. Thanks, I didn't think about that.

edit on 7-11-2016 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Who's selling that ride?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join