It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Felt in Oklahoma and Parts of Kansas, Arkansas, 5.3

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
From Twitter on Channel 5 News in Oklahoma:

www.koco.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonlover12
USGS lowered it to a 5.0 . Not buying that. Look at all of the "felt it reports" and the distance and intensity it was felt as. Those things, and how it felt here don`t add up.

All of those reports tell a very different story.

Felt in 3 states. it is def a 5.3. You are right.

link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

yes, I would say 5.3.

link   
Im 45 and i grew up in Oklahoma. I had never even heard of an EQ in Oklahoma untill about 5 or 6 years ago.

We grew up saying yeah we got tornadoes but at least we dont have to worry about EQS that's California's problem.

So I firmly believe it is do to fracking.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: goou111

It definitely is. There may be a nearby faultline, but I live on top of one and nothing since I think 1978.
edit on 6-11-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Lots more than 3 states.... expand the "felt it reports" button at the bottom of the initial list, and you`ll see distance and location. Felt in Alabama!

Felt in Fargo,ND 1214 km away.
edit on 6-11-2016 by dragonlover12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I live 53 miles from the epicenter, and it was noticeable. A few things swinging and the low rumble. Lasted for about 5 - 10 seconds. No damage, though there are reports that downtown Cushing suffered some heavy damage. The local hospital is reporting no injuries reported as of yet.

It was shallow, so possibly related to fracking.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I would say it's a concern if the quakes get gradually bigger,I noticed thru the years emphasis was on San Andreas,but for last 60 years the most sesmic proof buildings are in California or Japan,I think they are overlooking a giant,a big quake in that area can cause 100 times the damage in those areas,possible earth displacement of 30 ft,all the old buildings be a big pile of rubble,could wipe out 4 states

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

USGS lowered it to a 5.0 . Not buying that. Look at all of the "felt it reports" and the distance and intensity it was felt as. Those things, and how it felt here don`t add up.

All of those reports tell a very different story.

Actually, since it is a mid-plate quake yet seismically active, a less intense quake could still be felt across a larger area until the energy is depleted. It's not too surprising that it was felt across a vast distance. In fact, the quake of 1987 was a 5.7 and felt in 23 different states, all the way to Boston.
edit on 6-11-2016 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Lots more than 3 states.... expand the "felt it reports" button at the bottom of the initial list, and you`ll see distance and location. Felt in Alabama!

Felt in Fargo,ND 1214 km away.

OMG

USGS Did You Feel It

It includes Missouri, Tx, nebraska, Tn, SD., NM., In.

Now ND, too.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LetsGoVikingIt was shallow, so possibly related to fracking.

With the plate's proximity, most quakes in that region would be relatively shallow.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
A very close look needs to be taken at what they are doing in Oklahoma.

near a faultline and shallow quakes = bad news.

I have alwas thought it might irritate faultlines and the caldera in Yellowstone.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

Wow! Hopefully no one was hurt.

5.3 in Oklahoma, what are we doing to our planet? All in the name of money..

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: goou111
Im 45 and i grew up in Oklahoma. I had never even heard of an EQ in Oklahoma untill about 5 or 6 years ago.

We grew up saying yeah we got tornadoes but at least we dont have to worry about EQS that's California's problem.

So I firmly believe it is do to fracking.

Well fracking is good and bad in some cases. Let me explain, in an area where liquid breaches the basement easily, that can deteriorate a fault causing an event from the injection of too much liquid. In areas such as these, fracking can actually be beneficial. Where there is little liquid injection into the basement, is where it becomes a little more tricky.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: alphabetaone

Ok, I see that now. The answer is probably YES.

Oklahoma has several fault lines. They have had these faults and earthquakes due to those lines for some time .So has Georgia.No frackin here. Why not just post about the earthquake and leave politics out of it ?
The Earth is now in the cooling stage. That means the plates are probably contracting again. They expand as the Earth heats up in summer thus causing a larger number than in winter.
Lets just hope that this all quietens down

edit on 11/6/16 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

its the fracking, its known to cause seismic events.

fact of life since they doing it already, so you just gonna have to pay higher house insurance.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:00 PM
link   

I can`t be convinced that fracking and/or injection wells are a good thing. I still have damage to my home and art studio from the FrackQuakes here in Arkansas. If something can cause damage like this it can not be a good thing ever!!!

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I can`t be convinced that fracking and/or injection wells are a good thing. I still have damage to my home and art studio from the FrackQuakes here in Arkansas. If something can cause damage like this it can not be a good thing ever!!!

I think maybe you misinterpret me. I'm not suggesting the practice is good. I'm simply saying an unintended consequence of actually doing so, can actually be beneficial in a small percentage of cases.

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Felt in Kansas City.. Lasted about 10 seconds. Shook the water in our glasses and the mirror in our bathroom.

There was another last Sept that came from OK. Supposedly was stronger, but this one felt stronger (more movement).

If the quakes continue, it may set off the New Madrid fault, which will effect the whole US - scary 'cause we're right next to it (comparatively).

posted on Nov, 6 2016 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj
Felt in Kansas City.. Lasted about 10 seconds. Shook the water in our glasses and the mirror in our bathroom.

There was another last Sept that came from OK. Supposedly was stronger, but this one felt stronger (more movement).

If the quakes continue, it may set off the New Madrid fault, which will effect the whole US - scary 'cause we're right next to it (comparatively).

Just curious, but don't you think this could have been the New Madrid Seismic Fault? I mean, it isn't a "devestation or nothing" seismic zone. Many moderate quakes in recent geological history have been attributed to precisely that fault line.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join