It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retaining posts in the Reply Box.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Is there any way to keep your post in the reply box if you change the page, lose connection, use the back and forward buttons on your browser or get a 404?

At the moment, you can type out a reply but you can't leave the page and it's a damn pain. I've lost count of the number of times that I've typed a reply lost the page and when I return to it all I get is an empty box.

This is a drag if you've just written a long post.

At the moment I have to remember to copy everything I type but quite often I forget to do this.

And yes. I know I put this in the wrong forum, so an option to delete your own post would also be a help.

[Edited on 22-6-2003 by Leveller]

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I believe william added that as extra anti-spam security.
When you hit the reply button your post gets added to the database, it you hit the back button, you could post the same message again, and again, and again....

A spammer recently did that (if i remember correctly).
And the option to delete your own post is to make sure spammers can remove their spam, to make it look like one of the mods or admins is overrreacting.

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Yeah. But we've got loads of you moderators now.

It's about time you earned your keep.

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Yeah. But we've got loads of you moderators now.

It's about time you earned your keep.

Not so fast.

All it takes is one lunatic to crank through what's been described to send hundreds of posts to the database in no time. No army of moderators can keep up with that since it takes longer to delete posts under this scenario, than it does to create them.

If you need to reference other posts while you're writing on, use the right-click on your mouse to open the form link you need into a new window... this way, you'll retain your message window content.

posted on Jun, 22 2003 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Dont give em idea's william

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Damn. In the past couple of days, I've got a lot of 404s when I press the reply button - one of them popped up on a post that took me 30 minutes to write. As usual I forgot to save it.

The Law sux.

[Edited on 24-6-2003 by Leveller]

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 10:43 PM
link   
3 things you can do..
The best as william said was to keep the reply in its own window, and anything lese you are looking at in another window.
Otherwise copy the text and hold it in your memory
Otherwise paste it into notepad, or write your reply in notepad and then just copy and paste it across.

Yet I have just left this reply, gone to 2 more sites and then clicked back to come here, and its still there waiting for me. ... but I use Opera, a better system

posted on Jun, 23 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I understand yall plight here happen to me many times. William is there anyway you can just do a kinda flood control thing by makin the poster wait longer to post again?

top topics

join