It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Mother taught me respect and manners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Life is fleeting and we often forget about important aspects as we go about our daily grind. ATS is an emotional outlet for me to digest and regurgitate my feelings in a variety of ways. I take great pride in making sure that when I write something or share information, that I do my best most of the time to articulate and present what I have to say in a viable format in the form of an OP.

I am not always capable of expressing myself properly, but I really try hard to do so. Yeah, I can be sarcastic and try to witty or funny when I reply to any of you, but the fact remains, we are a family of sorts here, dysfunctional an a bickering lot some times, but I do believe that the bulk of us care about each other.

There are some members that go out of their way to make others feel important and do everything they can to support and encourage, they are not needed to be named, you know who they are. To them, I say sincerely, Thank You from the bottom of my heart.

However, there are those that go out of their way to belittle and be condescending when making replies and to them I say, pooh on you.

My Mother taught me respect and manners and yes she taught me sarcasm too, she always told me 2 things (not just 2), speak when you are spoken to and if you have nothing nice to say, zip it.

Here is what I have to say about this website today. When someone goes to the trouble to make an OP, offer support, reply in kindness, but don't be rude if you don't agree with what they said in the OP. Like me, many of you take the time to write OP's only to have them derailed with nonsense and this is just wrong. Being here is a privilege and comes with responsibility.

We all come from different backgrounds and nationalities, so there stands to reason there will be somethings lost in translation. Not everyone has the ability to understand what I write and I get that. I just want members to have better decorum when conversing with each other. I know some topics can be testy to discuss, but if you feel yourself crossing the line, just close the screen and go take a breath of fresh air and maybe you can come back with a better frame of mind.

If I have ever offended anyone in any way shape or form, I assure you it was a momentarily laps in judgment and I apologize for doing so.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

The election is bringing out the worse in people, that's part of it. I think the Mods try their best to step in when necessary but a lot gets missed, and it's discouraging that people can't just follow the T & C's and just be respectful.

I expect more from ATS (and myself)

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

T&C only covers some of it, still possible to walk that narrow line and get away with boorish behavior. I refuse to blame it on the election shenanigans though. Those threads are obnoxious though, but it happens in quite a few that have nothing to do with the elections and more to do with individual choices being made. I just want people to be nicer to each other and if they have something of value to add, do so in a respectful manner.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: searcherfortruth

I totally agree and also agree it has nothing to do with elections. As I grew up and got out in the world I realized many people more than not are rude and unhappy people. Even here on the boards certain long time members get away with the rude remarks on another's character. Nothing is perfect though.. take the good with the bad. All we can do.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

I will say that much of the turmoil going on in many parts of the world have an effect on mental health and that can run into the anonymous nature of being able to get things off a chest without feeling serious repercussions. The Internet is a prime way to blow off steam. Thanks for your input.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
My mother grabbed a fifth of booze by the neck, and yelled," you want whiskey you son of a bitch, I'll give you whiskey", and then smashed the bottle over my old mans head. He cried as his head bled. I was in grade school. It was so awful, its actually funny. Thats what my mother taught me... so whats your friggin point!

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MamaJ

Even here on the boards certain long time members get away with the rude remarks on another's character. Nothing is perfect though.. take the good with the bad. All we can do.

It seems to have gotten much worse with the looming elections and apparently no one cares as trolling, insults, baiting, namecalling, and outright slander has increased to epidemic proportions.
There's also a negative side.

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Nm
edit on 26-10-2016 by breakingbs because: nwi

posted on Oct, 26 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
edit on 26-10-2016 by breakingbs because: d

top topics

join