It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Africa Is Being Swallowed by the Sea

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

From everything I've read, much spurred on by an ATS thread a few months back, sand mining likely has FAR more to do with this than global warming. Sure, sea levels are rising, but that accounts for a small blip compared the physical destruction / erasure of the natural coastlines. It's like removing the shell from an egg, leaving only the thin membrane holding the egg in.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Good point in los amgeles the city of long beach has to pump sea water into the oil wells there to keep the ground from collapsing.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
a reply to: stonerwilliam

Good point in los amgeles the city of long beach has to pump sea water into the oil wells there to keep the ground from collapsing.

That's one way to deal with rising seas.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'm not sure what ATS thinks about this, but I know what I think about it...

But in the past two decades, climate change and industrial activity — such as sand mining and the construction of dams and deep-sea ports, which trap sediments and prevent them from reaching the coastline — have accelerated coastal erosion here.
Source: foreignpolicy.com...

Emphasis mine.

If you change the current patterns and remove materials from a coastline, you will change the dynamics of that coastline. No Global Warming needed. As a matter of fact, to include Global Warming in a description of a situation so obviously connected to man-made local conditions is the height of intellectual dishonesty and an obvious indication of extreme bias.

This is an indication of man-made climate change. But it is not an indication of global problems, or atmospheric problems, and especially not an indication that the evil CO2 boogeyman is hiding under the bed. It's an indication of what happens when mankind starts toying around with natural processes without understanding the implications of those processes... you know, what AL Gore and James Hansen want to do globally...

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
We have a new moon in about a week, we will likely have flooding again down here in South Florida.

This is NOT a result of errorsion, building seaports, industrialization, ect...
edit on 23-10-2016 by jrod because: F

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I don't buy into the AGW theory as to why the planet is warming.

But there's one thing I think we can all agree on - we need to stop destroying the only home we have.

We need to clean up our act and stop spewing poisons into the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the land we eat. If we don't start learning how to work with mother nature rather than against her, we're going to leave behind a nightmare of a legacy that our kids and grandkids are not going to be able to fix.

We need to stop arguing about the whys and start arguing about the how-to's.

And as long as our useless leaders can keep the "why" arguments going between ourselves, it saves them from having to do anything about the how-to's.

It's time we stop allowing ourselves to be used as puppets for these useless twats and start demanding they do their damn jobs.

posted on Oct, 23 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
I don't buy into the AGW theory as to why the planet is warming.

But there's one thing I think we can all agree on - we need to stop destroying the only home we have.

We need to clean up our act and stop spewing poisons into the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the land we eat. If we don't start learning how to work with mother nature rather than against her, we're going to leave behind a nightmare of a legacy that our kids and grandkids are not going to be able to fix.

We need to stop arguing about the whys and start arguing about the how-to's.

And as long as our useless leaders can keep the "why" arguments going between ourselves, it saves them from having to do anything about the how-to's.

It's time we stop allowing ourselves to be used as puppets for these useless twats and start demanding they do their damn jobs.

Well said!!

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: SeeReeS
Yeah.

I've tried other things too. Not pretty.
Herding cats?

a reply to: TheRedneck
I agree. When sea level rises it should rise the same amount globally, so if West Africa is getting hit harder by sea level rise than the other coastal regions in the world, there is probably something else going on in West Africa, and as you cited the article even mentions the likely culprit of sand mining. NASA says sea level has risen an average of 3.4 mm a year for the last 23 years. That's not helping, but that rate of change is not consistent with the rate of change described in the article which is described as a far more dramatic effect than 3.4 mm in a year would cause.

originally posted by: jrod
We have a new moon in about a week, we will likely have flooding again down here in South Florida.

This is NOT a result of errorsion, building seaports, industrialization, ect...
It depends on where in south Florida, but I suspect Miami is sinking faster than sea level is rising and part of that is due to all the insane development going on where it shouldn't be going on. More water pumped out of the ground and more weight of more buildings pushing down on a very porous and collapsible form of rock is a formula for disaster.

posted on Oct, 25 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I live on Lake Michigan and the water level has come up nearly 2 feet in the last few years. But it's natural and they are predicting lots of snow again this winter so it will come up farther.

Lake Trends

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join