It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whole world population fits in Texas area: each family a house and garden

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Dutch average living area (house and garden) for one person: 140 square meters (m^2)

World population: 7 billion

Texas area: 700,000 square kilometers (km^2)

1 km^2 = 1,000,000 m^2

Required for world population "one family one house one garden" policy: 980,000 km^2 (7 billion times the 140 m^2 living area per capita)

OK close enough

This puts the overpopulation issue, which may or may not be true, for other reasons, in perspective

edit on 2016-10-10 by galien8 because: extra info

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Talk about being packed in like a bunch of rats.

Are you accounting for other spaces, like grocery stores ('cuz not everything can come from a garden).

What about work spaces?

What about streets, parks, rec centers, movie theaters, pubs! office spaces, super-markets.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
space is at a premium right now. Duh.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
Talk about being packed in like a bunch of rats.

Are you accounting for other spaces, like grocery stores ('cuz not everything can come from a garden).

What about work spaces?

What about streets, parks, rec centers, movie theaters, pubs! office spaces, super-markets.

Build up not out.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis

Its only an estimation, Texas just has to expand its territory and jurisdiction a little bit

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: galien8

Just use the whole USA. Would give everyone a little more space.

Besides, Texas is humid.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Pack a few people like me into a sardine can and it'll be a # show in a real hurry.

I don't want to see the smoke from my closest neighbors wood stove, let alone smell their bodies.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Can I live in the Caucasian zone please?

Also as a subsection, I'd like to live in the zone that is farthest away from the Islamic faith group.

Foreigners and non-whites scare me.

Can I still own a gun + drink and drive? Gun racks and open containers are legal for your vehicle in Texas.

I'd also like to institute a Purge once a year.

Thinning the heard in close quarters like this would be nice.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: galien8
Dutch average living area (house and garden) for one person: 140 square meters (m^2)

1 km^2 = 1,000,000 m^2

Required for world population "one family one house one garden" policy: 980,000 km^2 (7 billion times the 140 m^2 living area per capita)

OK close enough

This puts the overpopulation issue, which may or may not be true, for other reasons, in perspective

Epic fail. The calculation requires a whole series of metrics, including everything from energy/capita to water use/capita. All require varying large amounts of land per person, on average of course. Texas factually could not support 7 billion people in a vacuum, assuming current tech and even current varied standards of living across the world.

I can never understand why anti environment people refuse to look at the mountains of scientific evidence across virtually all fields..
edit on 10-10-2016 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

1 km^2 = 1,000,000 m^2

OK close enough

The real perspectives are are of course the density, but I guess some high density place are not for the faint hearted, yet people live there being that it has to be true that the whole population can occupy some very small areas, my guess is that the trick is in saying that you can't feed the world's population, which is, I think totally wrong. [sic] there is so much unused food it is a shame. A fridge should be mostly empty, a pantry most likely half empty in any city or urban area as it stands, we buy more stuff that we can use most of the time. The preppers go daft on tinned stuff that may never be used thereby wasted. If there is any Irony, it is that most people don't live in some the most beautiful places on Earth, while others live in similar places, but in squalor colonys near big cities.
The bean counters have all that figured out long ago.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Agreed.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: wdkirk

Do you kill your mate after you breed?

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: wdkirk

Can I live in the Caucasian zone please?

Yes you can live alone on the Caucasus

edit on 2016-10-10 by galien8 because: emoticon

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   

The issue has never been about land size; it's been about the production, allocation and distribution of critical resources to such a large number of people that can be done effectively and efficiently.

Do you have a solution for that?

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

1 km^2 = 1,000,000 m^2

OK close enough

Epic fail.

Its only a thought experiment, to get an idea how much little space the world population occupies, not even a blue print for a future city

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

1 km^2 = 1,000,000 m^2

OK close enough

The bean counters have all that figured out long ago.

BEAN COUNTERS???

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dark Ghost

The issue has never been about land size; it's been about the production, allocation and distribution of critical resources to such a large number of people that can be done effectively and efficiently.

Do you have a solution for that?

No! Only things I can think of are sun, wind, biogas and nuclear fusion for energy and biological farming for food, but OK I don't know if thats enough resources for 10 billion people by 2050.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

1 km^2 = 1,000,000 m^2

OK close enough

Epic fail.

Its only a thought experiment, to get an idea how much little space the world population occupies, not even a blue print for a future city

Yes, but it fails because that is not how you measure over-population, at all. It is an idea oft cited by people claiming we are not over-populated or that global society is unsustainable.

However, you have to calculate the actual living space (land, energy, resources, water, air, etc) that it takes per capita, on average, NOT how much space it takes to sleep or have an apartment let's say.

This has been done by all manners of researchers and experts. Suffice to say, the "we can all fit in Texas" argument can't pass muster.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Think your math is off some where. Texas is 695,921,100,000 square meters.
7 billion is 7,000,000,000
needing 140 square meters per person witch isnt the number when looking at healthy pop ie india.
equals 980,000,000,000 squared meters
Now you would have to subtract usless land mass ie rivers and lakes deep valleys usless hill tops.
The gardens wouldn't be able to support all those people as well.
sounds nice but not real.

posted on Oct, 10 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Here is another one India is 3,290,000,000,000 square meters has a population of 1.2 billions have you ever seen the conditions of the packed cities ? I wouldn't call that living.

<<   2  3 >>

join