It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shepard Smith (Fox News) on Hurricane Matthew: 'This moves 20 miles to the West, [you] are dead'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Fox News anchor Shepard Smith went a little overboard in warning Florida residents to evacuate in preparation for Hurricane Matthew on Thursday.

“This moves 20 miles to the West, and you and everyone you know are dead,” he pronounced during a segment where he demonstrated the path of the Category 4 storm. “And your kids die too.”

The segment is going viral on social media, but didn’t completely capture Smith’s resigned doomsday predictions during coverage of the storm.
SOURCE

I've always thought Shepard Smith was bit of a renegade. I hope his prediction doesn't cause anyone any pain.

I know some will criticize this, but it is a sign that there's still free speech in the MSM. There is no way the comments above were part of any script.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-10-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Wonder what his new job should be.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Wonder what his new job should be.

Kindergarten teacher

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:24 AM
link   
In some cases, I think warnings like that are justified. There are people who, even when they know a deadly storm is bearing down on them, will stay right where they are. Every time there is a hurricane, people think "Meh, we survived the last one"....that was a Cat 1. Then a much bigger storm rolls in, people die and then blame the govt or weather service or any but the one who is actually at fault. Themselves.
I don't sit here and say "Meh" when there's a tornado warning. Just because one has not hit us this Summer, doesn't mean it won't next year.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
"...and your kids die too"
Nicely put

So far it's not as bad as they predicted. Not over though, so will see.
The western eye wall is over Cape Canaveral, last I checked. still not made landfall. Needs to be the centre of the eye

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:38 AM
link   
What if he frightens a family who then venture into the storm to escape his doom prediction and are hit by a falling tree, lines or high water.

Not the thing to do. If he is losing it, he should go sit in a corner and cry. Save the doom pron.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

a reply to: ErrorErrorError

Why would Shepard Smith lose his job over this? Where would the logic be? He was giving his personal opinion, clearly. He was not speaking officially for Fox News.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I was reading earlier how it quickly became a cat 5 and how it was going up the middle of Florida because of climate change.

Did it ever reach 5 and it is going east of Florida so the guy wrote this with his pre planned ending that didn't happen.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:02 AM
link   
why would he loose his job.

when he's right.

I've watched casters downplay severity and what that brings (complacency)
It's about time they started telling it how it is, so folks pay attention and evac before it too late and ppl die in avoidable situations..

It basically wiped Haiti off the map, it's no mere shower and a bit of wind.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   
#shepardsmith2016

I'd vote for that guy.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   
It was a stupid thing to say, we had a very experienced meteorologist in Oklahoma tell people to flee based off the current models and historical precedent... then the tornado went in a direction they just dont go... and endangered all those people that fled on his word.

He got in major trouble because of it..

The only thing Smiths comments accomplished was to cause fear..
If you are not in a flood plain, not on the coast/barrier island that will take a direct hit, have a well built home odds are high you will be fine from this storm.

Fear mongering (if the predictions are wrong) just ensures that the next time a situation like hurricane Andrew occurs (goes from meh to powerful over night) more people will die because folks don't pay the weather guessers any mind.

Most people reporting the weather that do not live and work in Florida get it wrong anyways..
edit on 7-10-2016 by Irishhaf because: clarity I hope

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Shepard Smith is a complete imbecile he gets the back button in our house.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Shepard Smith is a complete imbecile he gets the back button in our house.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
I was reading earlier how it quickly became a cat 5 and how it was going up the middle of Florida because of climate change.

Did it ever reach 5 and it is going east of Florida so the guy wrote this with his pre planned ending that didn't happen.

so there's a good reason to not listen to evacuate orders. It wasn't as bad as they thought. Next time it may be different.

And there's been one casualty already in Florida and over 100 dead from Matthew in the Caribbean.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Yeah...He needs to go.

Fox News anchor Shep Smith says of Hurricane Matthew: 'Your kids will die'

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

originally posted by: mikell

so there's a good reason to not listen to evacuate orders. It wasn't as bad as they thought. Next time it may be different.

And there's been one casualty already in Florida and over 100 dead from Matthew in the Caribbean.

500 dead in Haiti...Mostly due to collapsing roofs and trees.

My mom and Sister in Vero Beach just have some yard clean up...and they are on the beach.
Conversely, this could've gone sideways very easily...so concern was warranted but histrionics only keeps people tuned in.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Not to name names-but a popular and well respected science internet site posted Drudge questioning the inability to view the scientific data for hurricane Matthew-thus causing Drudge to be severely ridiculed for questioning the government weather info. Of course, many tried to tie the hurricane into a political issue of climate change.

Just as we can view seismic activity, we should be able to view scientific data and make our own decisions-or a variety of decisions-without government overseers. Why can't us citizens see the government data ourselves?
edit on 7-10-2016 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You know what I think its fine. I'd rather be over prepared than under prepared. Plenty of time to be mad afterwards if he was completely off base, but anger is temporary. Dead children are forever. Can't bring 'em back.

Regardless of what he says everyone has the choice to evacuate or not.

-Alee
edit on 10/7/2016 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
What if he frightens a family who then venture into the storm to escape his doom prediction and are hit by a falling tree, lines or high water.

Not the thing to do. If he is losing it, he should go sit in a corner and cry. Save the doom pron.

Irrelevant. It hadn't made landfall in Florida yet. And he was correct, there comes a time to listen and put aside your gluttony for severe weather.

posted on Oct, 7 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
It was a stupid thing to say, we had a very experienced meteorologist in Oklahoma tell people to flee based off the current models and historical precedent... then the tornado went in a direction they just dont go... and endangered all those people that fled on his word.

He got in major trouble because of it..

The only thing Smiths comments accomplished was to cause fear..
If you are not in a flood plain, not on the coast/barrier island that will take a direct hit, have a well built home odds are high you will be fine from this storm.

Fear mongering (if the predictions are wrong) just ensures that the next time a situation like hurricane Andrew occurs (goes from meh to powerful over night) more people will die because folks don't pay the weather guessers any mind.

Most people reporting the weather that do not live and work in Florida get it wrong anyways..

That would be comparable if he told the people to evacuate and head to the east coast of Florida.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join