It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To our Jewish friends on Rosh Hashanah - L'Shana Tova

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NorvinHobbs14

Accusing an entire race of people of being involved in a mass conspiracy like that does sound quite "open minded", I'll give you that... Its also completely delusional too though.

... btw, no I'm not Jewish, or even personally associated with anyone that is.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Accusing an entire race of people of being involved in a mass conspiracy ...

This was attempted before... the tool still lost the war and 50 million people lost their lives.

It was asinine then just as its asinine now.

Apparently some people have forgotten "never again".
edit on 3-10-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

This quote is refering to "class" not in the way of class you understand
The three classes are

Jews, Gentiles and Arabs. There I fixed that for you.

"Calling oneself Gods Chosen is the sheerest form of arrogance. All human beings were chosen by god to exist. They are all equal in their rights. Unless you're Palestinian, maybe.

I will not attack another's faith however
Be it Jewish Christain Muslim or Pagan

Why ... Because such attacks divide the Human Race

Organized Religion is man made. Religion is what divides human beings, not "race", as you put it.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I feel I do not need to explain anything
Because reasonable people will see your anti Human Being stance by "Picking on" the beliefs of others

I note you toned down your stance to be more reasonable
Rather like a school yard bully that grows up and finds his behaviour is socially unacceptable in the wider world

Your comments were inappropriate
You have an axe to grind no doubt

You talk about division being caused by religion yet you yourself are divisive by "Picking on" others beliefs
If you have any ideas that would unite all Human Beings
I would be more than pleased to consider them

Edit to add: Lighten up or you will be on detention

edit on 3-10-2016 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Jesus 'picked on' the religion of the day, too. He said we observe days and years, setting aside the laws of God by our traditions (and rituals). Religion isn't faith, religion is a club.

They killed him for that.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 07:53 AM
link   

You talk about division being caused by religion yet you yourself are divisive by "Picking on" others beliefs

Ha, Religions have started more wars, resulting in more death and destruction than any other activity or belief under the sun.

This becomes off topic the more we go on. It is the hierarchy of presuming only our god is right or the best, the classifying of some humans as less than that makes it okay to impose our will (or military) upon them.

That and pride, nationalism, exceptionalism, flags, whatever. Useful tools of state to direct against a chosen 'enemy'.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Jesus 'picked on' the religion of the day, too. He said we observe days and years, setting aside the laws of God by our traditions (and rituals). Religion isn't faith, religion is a club. They killed him for that.

Also he supposedly said ... Forgive them Father for they know not what they do

Are you willing to forgive those who were not even born in those times
For actions they never even performed

Hatred is hatred and ignorance is ignorance ... It does not hold exclusive rights to any particular religion or person
Playing a blame game helps non

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Also he supposedly said ... Forgive them Father for they know not what they do

The executioners were just doing their job. The Jews plotted to capture him, hand him over, and when he was found blameless in the eyes of the law, still insisted on his death. Jesus didn't say forgive them.

"Supposedly" the curtain in the temple tore in half when he died. If not really then figuratively for poignancy.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Religous belief has been used as the excuse for many wars
But religion is not the cause

The cause is Human intollerance and greed

Peace will never come by attacking others or their beliefs it only fuels the fire
Only understanding and tollerance can bring about peace

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Blaming a whole nation for the acts of a few is pure ignorance

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Religous belief has been used as the excuse for many wars
But religion is not the cause

I make the distinction between organized religion and spirituality. The former is man made.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: artistpoet

Blaming a whole nation for the acts of a few is pure ignorance

Tell that to the Germans and Japanese.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Like I said earlier, further off topic. Last response.

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Yet spirituality is also man made

All are Human ideas

If we can not abide others celebrating their religion perhaps it is time to leave the party
Rather than "Kicking Off"

posted on Oct, 3 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

"Calling oneself Gods Chosen is the sheerest form of arrogance.

Kind of like anyone not a Muslim being an infidel?

Can you move your religious "debate" to another thread please. This one is about the joyous occasion of Rosh Hashana thank you.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
The Jewish Holiday of Rosh Hashanah starts today, October 2nd and ends on October 4th.

What is Rosh Hashana?
* - Rosh Hashanah is the beginning of the year is explained by it being the traditional anniversary of the creation of Adam and Eve, the first man and woman according to the Hebrew Bible, and their first actions toward the believed realization of humanity's role in God's world.

Rosh Shanah Significance:
* - The Mishnah contains the second known reference to Rosh Hashanah as the "day of judgment". In the Talmud tractate on Rosh Hashanah, it states that three books of account are opened on Rosh Hashanah, wherein the fate of the wicked, the righteous, and those of an intermediate class are recorded. The names of the righteous are immediately inscribed in the book of life and they are sealed "to live." The intermediate class are allowed a respite of ten days, until Yom Kippur, to reflect, repent and become righteous; the wicked are "blotted out of the book of the living forever."

In Jewish liturgy, Rosh Hashanah leads to Yom Kippur, which is described as "the day of judgment" (Yom ha-Din) and "the day of remembrance" (Yom ha-Zikkaron). Some midrashic descriptions depict God as sitting upon a throne, while books containing the deeds of all humanity are opened for review, and each person passes in front of Him for evaluation of his or her deeds. The Talmud provides three central ideas behind the day:

"The Holy One said, 'on Rosh Hashanah recite before Me [verses of] Sovereignty, Remembrance, and Shofar blasts (malchuyot, zichronot, shofrot): Sovereignty so that you should make Me your King; Remembrance so that your remembrance should rise up before Me. And through what? Through the Shofar.' (Rosh Hashanah 16a, 34b)" This is reflected in the prayers composed by the classical rabbinic sages for Rosh Hashanah found in all machzorim where the theme of the prayers is the strongest theme is the "coronation" of God as King of the universe in preparation for the acceptance of judgments that will follow on that day, symbolized as "written" into a Divine book of judgments, that then hang in the balance for ten days waiting for all to repent, then they will be "sealed" on Yom Kippur. The assumption is that everyone was sealed for life and therefore the next festival is Sukkot (Tabernacles) that is referred to as "the time of our joy" (z'man simchateinu).

Unetanneh Tokef is a piyyut (poem) that has been a part of the Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur liturgy in rabbinical Judaism for centuries. It introduces the Kedusha of Musaf for these days.

Unetanneh Tokef

Paragraph 1 / translation
וְכָל בָּאֵי עוֹלָם יַעַבְרוּן (תעביר) לְפָנֶיךָ כִּבְנֵי מָרוֹן. כְּבַקָּרַת רוֹעֶה עֶדְרוֹ. מַעֲבִיר צאנוֹ תַּחַת שִׁבְטוֹ .כֵּן תַּעֲבִיר וְתִסְפֹּר וְתִמְנֶה וְתִפְקֹד נֶפֶשׁ כָּל חָי. וְתַחְתּךְ קִצְבָה לְכָל בְּרִיּוֹתֶיךָ (בריה). וְתִכְתֹּב אֶת גְּזַר דִּינָם:

בְּראֹשׁ הַשָּׁנָה יִכָּתֵבוּן וּבְיוֹם צוֹם כִּפּוּר יֵחָתֵמוּן כַּמָּה יַעַבְרוּן וְכַמָּה יִבָּרֵאוּן מִי יִחְיֶה וּמִי יָמוּת. מִי בְקִצּוֹ וּמִי לא בְקִצּוֹ מִי בַמַּיִם. וּמִי בָאֵשׁ מִי בַחֶרֶב. וּמִי בַחַיָּה מִי בָרָעָב. וּמִי בַצָּמָא מִי בָרַעַשׁ. וּמִי בַמַּגֵּפָה מִי בַחֲנִיקָה וּמִי בַסְּקִילָה מִי יָנוּחַ וּמִי יָנוּעַ מִי יִשָּׁקֵט וּמִי יִטָּרֵף מִי יִשָּׁלֵו. וּמִי יִתְיַסָּר מִי יֵעָנִי. וּמִי יֵעָשֵׁר מִי יִשָּׁפֵל. וּמִי יָרוּם וּתְשׁוּבָה וּתְפִלָּה וּצְדָקָה מַעֲבִירִין אֶת רעַ הַגְּזֵרָה

"All mankind will pass before You like a flock of sheep.[23] Like a shepherd pasturing his flock, making sheep pass under his staff, so shall You cause to pass, count, calculate, and consider the soul of all the living; and You shall apportion the destinies of all Your creatures and inscribe their verdict.

On Rosh Hashanah will be inscribed and on Yom Kippur will be sealed – how many will pass from the earth and how many will be created; who will live and who will die; who will die at his predestined time and who before his time; who by water and who by fire, who by sword and who by beast, who by famine and who by thirst, who by upheaval [24] and who by plague, who by strangling and who by stoning. Who will rest and who will wander, who will live in harmony and who will be harried, who will enjoy tranquility and who will suffer, who will be impoverished and who will be enriched, who will be degraded and who will be exalted. But Repentance, Prayer, and Charity annul the severe Decree."

Paragraph 2 / translation

כִּי כְּשִׁמְךָ כֵּן תְּהִלָּתֶךָ קָשֶׁה לִכְעֹס וְנוחַ לִרְצות כִּי לֹא תַחְפּץ בְּמוֹת הַמֵּת כִּי אִם בְּשׁוּבו מִדַּרְכּוֹ וְחָיָה וְעַד יוֹם מוֹתוֹ תְּחַכֶּה לּוֹ אִם יָשׁוּב מִיַּד תְּקַבְּלוֹ. אֱמֶת כִּי אַתָּה הוּא יוֹצְרָם וְ[אַתָּה] יוֹדֵעַ יִצְרָם כִּי הֵם בָּשָׂר וָדָם. אָדָם יְסוֹדוֹ מֵעָפָר, וְסוֹפוֹ לֶעָפָר בְּנַפְשׁוֹ יָבִיא לַחְמוֹ מָשׁוּל כְּחֶרֶס הַנִּשְׁבָּר כְּחָצִיר יָבֵשׁ וּכְצִיץ נוֹבֵל כְּצֵל עוֹבֵר וּכְעָנָן כָּלָה וּכְרוּחַ נוֹשָׁבֶת וּכְאָבָק פּוֹרֵחַ וְכַחֲלוֹם יָעוּף.

"For Your Name signifies Your praise: hard to anger and easy to appease, for You do not wish the death of one deserving death, but that he repent from his way and live. Until the day of his death You await him; if he repents You will accept him immediately. It is true that You are their Creator and You know their inclination, for they are flesh and blood. A man's origin is from dust and his destiny is back to dust, at risk of his life he earns his bread; he is likened to a broken shard, withering grass, a fading flower, a passing shade, a dissipating cloud, a blowing wind, flying dust, and a fleeting dream."

Paragraph 3 / translation

וְאַתָּה הוּא מֶלֶךְ אֵל חַי וְקַיָּם אֵין קִצְבָה לִשְׁנוֹתֶיךָ. וְאֵין קֵץ לְאֹרֶךְ יָמֶיךָ וְאֵין לְשַׁעֵר מַרְכְּבוֹת כְּבוֹדֶךָ. וְאֵין לְפָרֵשׁ עֵלוּם שְׁמֶך שִׁמְךָ נָאֶה לְךָ. וְאַתָּה נָאֶה לִשְׁמֶךָ. וּשְׁמֵנוּ קָרָאתָ בִּשְׁמֶךָ.

"But You are the King, the Living and Enduring God.

There is no set span to Your years and there is no end to the length of Your days. It is impossible to estimate the angelic chariots of Your glory and it is forbidden to pronounce Your Name. Your Name is worthy of You and You are worthy of Your Name, and You have included Your Name in our name."

May you enjoy your new year and may it be blessed.

P.S. - If I got something wrong please let me know. Also this post is brought to you courtesy of Wikipedia.

Thank you much for the blessings. It was ok this year. I was flat broke, so I couldn't party at all. But, I was able to pray and give thanks. As a jew living in the rural south, its nice to hear someone wish me a happy holiday. Thanks again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join