It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To our Jewish friends on Rosh Hashanah - L'Shana Tova

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The Jewish Holiday of Rosh Hashanah starts today, October 2nd and ends on October 4th.

What is Rosh Hashana?
* - Rosh Hashanah is the beginning of the year is explained by it being the traditional anniversary of the creation of Adam and Eve, the first man and woman according to the Hebrew Bible, and their first actions toward the believed realization of humanity's role in God's world.

Rosh Shanah Significance:
* - The Mishnah contains the second known reference to Rosh Hashanah as the "day of judgment". In the Talmud tractate on Rosh Hashanah, it states that three books of account are opened on Rosh Hashanah, wherein the fate of the wicked, the righteous, and those of an intermediate class are recorded. The names of the righteous are immediately inscribed in the book of life and they are sealed "to live." The intermediate class are allowed a respite of ten days, until Yom Kippur, to reflect, repent and become righteous; the wicked are "blotted out of the book of the living forever."

In Jewish liturgy, Rosh Hashanah leads to Yom Kippur, which is described as "the day of judgment" (Yom ha-Din) and "the day of remembrance" (Yom ha-Zikkaron). Some midrashic descriptions depict God as sitting upon a throne, while books containing the deeds of all humanity are opened for review, and each person passes in front of Him for evaluation of his or her deeds. The Talmud provides three central ideas behind the day:

"The Holy One said, 'on Rosh Hashanah recite before Me [verses of] Sovereignty, Remembrance, and Shofar blasts (malchuyot, zichronot, shofrot): Sovereignty so that you should make Me your King; Remembrance so that your remembrance should rise up before Me. And through what? Through the Shofar.' (Rosh Hashanah 16a, 34b)" This is reflected in the prayers composed by the classical rabbinic sages for Rosh Hashanah found in all machzorim where the theme of the prayers is the strongest theme is the "coronation" of God as King of the universe in preparation for the acceptance of judgments that will follow on that day, symbolized as "written" into a Divine book of judgments, that then hang in the balance for ten days waiting for all to repent, then they will be "sealed" on Yom Kippur. The assumption is that everyone was sealed for life and therefore the next festival is Sukkot (Tabernacles) that is referred to as "the time of our joy" (z'man simchateinu).

Unetanneh Tokef is a piyyut (poem) that has been a part of the Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur liturgy in rabbinical Judaism for centuries. It introduces the Kedusha of Musaf for these days.

Unetanneh Tokef

Paragraph 1 / translation
וְכָל בָּאֵי עוֹלָם יַעַבְרוּן (תעביר) לְפָנֶיךָ כִּבְנֵי מָרוֹן. כְּבַקָּרַת רוֹעֶה עֶדְרוֹ. מַעֲבִיר צאנוֹ תַּחַת שִׁבְטוֹ .כֵּן תַּעֲבִיר וְתִסְפֹּר וְתִמְנֶה וְתִפְקֹד נֶפֶשׁ כָּל חָי. וְתַחְתּךְ קִצְבָה לְכָל בְּרִיּוֹתֶיךָ (בריה). וְתִכְתֹּב אֶת גְּזַר דִּינָם:

בְּראֹשׁ הַשָּׁנָה יִכָּתֵבוּן וּבְיוֹם צוֹם כִּפּוּר יֵחָתֵמוּן כַּמָּה יַעַבְרוּן וְכַמָּה יִבָּרֵאוּן מִי יִחְיֶה וּמִי יָמוּת. מִי בְקִצּוֹ וּמִי לא בְקִצּוֹ מִי בַמַּיִם. וּמִי בָאֵשׁ מִי בַחֶרֶב. וּמִי בַחַיָּה מִי בָרָעָב. וּמִי בַצָּמָא מִי בָרַעַשׁ. וּמִי בַמַּגֵּפָה מִי בַחֲנִיקָה וּמִי בַסְּקִילָה מִי יָנוּחַ וּמִי יָנוּעַ מִי יִשָּׁקֵט וּמִי יִטָּרֵף מִי יִשָּׁלֵו. וּמִי יִתְיַסָּר מִי יֵעָנִי. וּמִי יֵעָשֵׁר מִי יִשָּׁפֵל. וּמִי יָרוּם וּתְשׁוּבָה וּתְפִלָּה וּצְדָקָה מַעֲבִירִין אֶת רעַ הַגְּזֵרָה

"All mankind will pass before You like a flock of sheep.[23] Like a shepherd pasturing his flock, making sheep pass under his staff, so shall You cause to pass, count, calculate, and consider the soul of all the living; and You shall apportion the destinies of all Your creatures and inscribe their verdict.

On Rosh Hashanah will be inscribed and on Yom Kippur will be sealed – how many will pass from the earth and how many will be created; who will live and who will die; who will die at his predestined time and who before his time; who by water and who by fire, who by sword and who by beast, who by famine and who by thirst, who by upheaval [24] and who by plague, who by strangling and who by stoning. Who will rest and who will wander, who will live in harmony and who will be harried, who will enjoy tranquility and who will suffer, who will be impoverished and who will be enriched, who will be degraded and who will be exalted. But Repentance, Prayer, and Charity annul the severe Decree."

Paragraph 2 / translation

כִּי כְּשִׁמְךָ כֵּן תְּהִלָּתֶךָ קָשֶׁה לִכְעֹס וְנוחַ לִרְצות כִּי לֹא תַחְפּץ בְּמוֹת הַמֵּת כִּי אִם בְּשׁוּבו מִדַּרְכּוֹ וְחָיָה וְעַד יוֹם מוֹתוֹ תְּחַכֶּה לּוֹ אִם יָשׁוּב מִיַּד תְּקַבְּלוֹ. אֱמֶת כִּי אַתָּה הוּא יוֹצְרָם וְ[אַתָּה] יוֹדֵעַ יִצְרָם כִּי הֵם בָּשָׂר וָדָם. אָדָם יְסוֹדוֹ מֵעָפָר, וְסוֹפוֹ לֶעָפָר בְּנַפְשׁוֹ יָבִיא לַחְמוֹ מָשׁוּל כְּחֶרֶס הַנִּשְׁבָּר כְּחָצִיר יָבֵשׁ וּכְצִיץ נוֹבֵל כְּצֵל עוֹבֵר וּכְעָנָן כָּלָה וּכְרוּחַ נוֹשָׁבֶת וּכְאָבָק פּוֹרֵחַ וְכַחֲלוֹם יָעוּף.

"For Your Name signifies Your praise: hard to anger and easy to appease, for You do not wish the death of one deserving death, but that he repent from his way and live. Until the day of his death You await him; if he repents You will accept him immediately. It is true that You are their Creator and You know their inclination, for they are flesh and blood. A man's origin is from dust and his destiny is back to dust, at risk of his life he earns his bread; he is likened to a broken shard, withering grass, a fading flower, a passing shade, a dissipating cloud, a blowing wind, flying dust, and a fleeting dream."

Paragraph 3 / translation

וְאַתָּה הוּא מֶלֶךְ אֵל חַי וְקַיָּם אֵין קִצְבָה לִשְׁנוֹתֶיךָ. וְאֵין קֵץ לְאֹרֶךְ יָמֶיךָ וְאֵין לְשַׁעֵר מַרְכְּבוֹת כְּבוֹדֶךָ. וְאֵין לְפָרֵשׁ עֵלוּם שְׁמֶך שִׁמְךָ נָאֶה לְךָ. וְאַתָּה נָאֶה לִשְׁמֶךָ. וּשְׁמֵנוּ קָרָאתָ בִּשְׁמֶךָ.

"But You are the King, the Living and Enduring God.

There is no set span to Your years and there is no end to the length of Your days. It is impossible to estimate the angelic chariots of Your glory and it is forbidden to pronounce Your Name. Your Name is worthy of You and You are worthy of Your Name, and You have included Your Name in our name."

May you enjoy your new year and may it be blessed.

P.S. - If I got something wrong please let me know. Also this post is brought to you courtesy of Wikipedia.
edit on 2-10-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Happy New Year

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The intermediate class are allowed a respite of ten days, until Yom Kippur, to reflect, repent and become righteous; the wicked are "blotted out of the book of the living forever."

Leave it to jews to be the first to start class warfare. They wrote the book...

God doesn't play favorites.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Chag sameach & Shanah tovah !!!

What will the year 5777 bring us ??

Buck
edit on 2-10-2016 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Not Jewish or religous myself

But appreciate your post
And the poetic words which mostly I can relate to

You are their Creator and You know their inclination, for they are flesh and blood. A man's origin is from dust and his destiny is back to dust, at risk of his life he earns his bread; he is likened to a broken shard, withering grass, a fading flower, a passing shade, a dissipating cloud, a blowing wind, flying dust, and a fleeting dream."

I find the above quoted poetry quite profound and beautiful

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

This is not about class warfare
The class referenced in Christian terms would be those in purgatory as Dante the Christian poet described

Leave it to jews to be the first to start class warfare

What all Jews?????????????????????
Jews are Human Beings
You are a Human Being

"I am a Jew. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands,
organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions; fed with the same
food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases,
heal'd by the same means, warm'd and cool'd by the same winter
and summer, as a Christian is? If you prick us, do we not bleed? If
you tickle us, do we not laugh? If you poison us, do we not die?
And if you wrong us, do we not revenge? If we are like you in the
rest, we will resemble you in that."

Shakespeare

I have no religion but believe in the freedom of all to follow their own beliefs
What purpose does it serve to attack anothers faith

edit on 2-10-2016 by artistpoet because: t

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Xcathdra

The intermediate class are allowed a respite of ten days, until Yom Kippur, to reflect, repent and become righteous; the wicked are "blotted out of the book of the living forever."

God doesn't play favorites.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, one way of the other... but having said that, how can you say with any certainly what God does?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Happy Rosh Hashanah to our friends who celebrate it!

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

This is not about class warfare

Yes it is. Jews as Gods chosen ones and Israel the Holy Land?

Special people and special dirt... sorry not buying the 'class' distinctions anymore. They are the same as everyone else in "gods eyes".

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

how can you say with any certainly what God does?

The problem wth the world is the divisiveness promoted by greedy men in power that want more power. This is how I know its not of the Spirit.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

No you don't

Your original post quoting from the Ops post was this

"The intermediate class are allowed a respite of ten days, until Yom Kippur, to reflect, repent and become righteous; the wicked are "blotted out of the book of the living forever."

This quote is refering to "class" not in the way of class you understand
The three classes are

Those who are faithful
Those who are indecisive
Those who reject

In Christain terms they would be

Those who are faithful
Those who are indecisive
Those who are unrepentant

You choose to attack anothers beliefs
When the post is about a celebration of their beliefs

Your prejudices make you blind

You are the jewish version of a Christ Mass Humbug
I know you can not even see it

Your prejudices and anger at anothers beliefs is banal

I am not religous thank goodness so I can be impartial

I will not attack another's faith however
Be it Jewish Christain Muslim or Pagan

Why ... Because such attacks divide the Human Race

You should look in the mirror
We are Human Beings

edit on 2-10-2016 by artistpoet because: typos

(post by NorvinHobbs14 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: NorvinHobbs14

Bigot much?

The least you can do is trot out something other than the "blood libel". Or not, it's probably beyond your capacity to come up with anything original.

Shalom, dude.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: artistpoet

Well said.

Poet, indeed.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Oh, a youtube clip.... well, that explains everything!

You can't dispute a youtube clip, there obviously infallible.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

You and I seldom agree...

...but we do here.

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   

The more relevant question is, do you actually believe your anti-jewish youtube link would have made any difference to what I think if I did watch it?

posted on Oct, 2 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I don't DO 'Sky Fairies'.. But hey, Let's ALL Raise a glass and Celebrate each other !

top topics

<<   2 >>

join