It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House wants to add new racial category for Middle Eastern people

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
So in order to further the continuing goals to establish equality and end racism and differences between ethnicities, we now have the White House proposing even more divide and creating more special groups of people by suggesting a brand new ethnic group be created by regulation.

They want Middle Eastern groups to be designated "Middle Eastern and North African".

They have placed this proposal into the Federal Register.

The Census of 2020 might get the new classification.

I guess this helps as long as the Middle Eastern people don't object.

As it stands now, this group is designated as "White".

Pros / Cons ?

The White House is putting forward a proposal to add a new racial category for people from the Middle East and North Africa under what would be the biggest realignment of federal racial definitions in decades.

If approved, the new designation could appear on census forms in 2020 and could have far-reaching implications for racial identity, anti-discrimination laws and health research.

Under current law, people from the Middle East are considered white, the legacy of century-old court rulings in which Syrian Americans argued that they should not be considered Asian — because that designation would deny them citizenship under the 1882 Chinese Exclusion Act. But scholars and community leaders say more and more people with their roots in the Middle East find themselves caught between white, black and Asian classifications that don't fully reflect their identities.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
It bothers me when a lot of groups are labeled white, especially in crime statistics. Let's see who's really committing these crimes, I'd like to know. then focus our energy on the right people to help curb crime. Or maybe our politicians really don't care where the crime is, hummmmmmm.....

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
That's pretty much what is being done already. If people REALLY think, most Muslims are Asian(Chinese looking). Gotta make sure we are discussing the right people. Mostly Arab.

And really? This piece after the Trump escapades on this front?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
If you guys spent as much time looking into Donalt Trump as you do Obama and Hilary you would know why normal rational well to do people absolutely are disgusted with Trump.

Keep obsessing thought.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Xuen, did you know that this is how the Census Bureau categorizes "white" people right now?:

White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

www.census.gov...

So right now, Arabs, Kurdish people, and other ethnic groups from North Africa and the "Middle East" are counted as "white". How does that make any sense?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Before you know it, some of these special groups will be allotted a federal check simply because they qualify for being in that group. If not that, then certain other privileges will be granted that others are excluded from obtaining. So that ruling/law/regulation smells to high heaven as covering a secret agenda.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Our nation is divided enough as it is. Rather than find new criteria with which to further divide our nation, maybe it's time to just put race aside and refer to all of us as HUMANS?

link   
Greetings-

I see You've entered an educational thread. Being that You are the author of this thread, would You mind if I add some math?

You have a herd of 1,000 cows. Would it be easier to control these cows if they were in just 1 herd or 10 herds of 100, would 20 herds of 50 cows be even easier?

How did You do?

A new designation also makes it easier for an Alpha Bet Agency to request an interpreter for that language when 'they' ramp up security due to the influx of refugees from overseas...

Xue- Anything on My "missing" $6B that went "missing" when HRC was Head of State? It 'may' be hidden next to the $2B the Saud Roi "donated" to Her very own slush fund, The Clinton Fraudation™

link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I think that's exactly why they want it changed, it makes it easier to establish who gets more privilege. Let's just see if the DoJ follows suit.

edit on 1-10-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: WUNK22
It bothers me when a lot of groups are labeled white, especially in crime statistics. Let's see who's really committing these crimes, I'd like to know. then focus our energy on the right people to help curb crime. Or maybe our politicians really don't care where the crime is, hummmmmmm.....

If we focus our atten on the real groups that are committing! the crimes then we are racists

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I think that's exactly why they want it changed, it makes it easier to establish who gets more privilege. Let's just see if the DoJ follows suit.

Or it will be used the same way it's used for every other "racial" category, such as redistricting and program compliance reporting.
edit on 1-10-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: ReprobateRaccoon
Our nation is divided enough as it is. Rather than find new criteria with which to further divide our nation, maybe it's time to just put race aside and refer to all of us as HUMANS?[/quote

But that would end racism and all the government jobs related to dealing with it.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I guess there is enough of them to get their own box now.

"Other" just can't hold it anymore.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   

And the party of segregation lives on.

Still think the parties 'switched' sides ?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Right now they're officially classified as "white". Why is that so hard for people here to understand?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Any idea which toilet these new folks will use if/when they ever visit North Carolina?

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Right now they're officially classified as "white". Why is that so hard for people here to understand?

I know they are.

Works to their advantage when they say 'whites' commit more 'gun violence'.

Of course they are counting middle eastern and northern africa, and hispanics in that broad brush.

Don't think they thought all the political footballs through here.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
This is something that has to be looked at eventually. I don't think Middle-Easterners count as white. For one thing, their skin tones and features are different. For another, their culture is centered in an entirely different place than the Western culture. The genetics have different origins, too.
edit on 01pmSat, 01 Oct 2016 20:44:25 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

You're being too partisan here Neo, we all know it is a good idea to classify Middle-Easterners separately than whites.

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

You're being too partisan here Neo, we all know it is a good idea to classify Middle-Easterners separately than whites.

Actually the race baiting White House is the one being partisan.

Par for the course. The creators of the hypenated American moniker.

Because I guess simply being called an AMERICAN.

Is RACIST!

and anyone who disagrees is simply 'partisan'.

How bout people stop playing lip service to that world EQUALITY ?

and stop using the selective descriptors.

A-M-E-R-I-C-A-N

So easy a segregationists should understand it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join