It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FIXED - Windows 7 Update stuck on fresh install

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I have been using Linux for quite a while now but miss several programmes that only run on Windows or Mac (Wine not helpful). A few months ago I reinstalled Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) on a separate drive and could not get Windows to update (it appeared stuck). Despite downloading and installing the new recommended updater the problem remained. As recommended on a thread a while ago, I left my desktop PC on overnight but it still did not update (even after 48 hours).

Microsoft are apparently aware of the problem and have released a new update to fix this problem. I installed this with along with a pre-requisite package they recommend and Windows Update now works and it works very quickly. The claim that Windows 10 is being given priority for updates is unfounded. 30 minutes of downloading and a couple of boots and everything is up to date.

The new windows 7 updater can be found here.

32 bit or 64 bit

The September fix can be found here. Remember to install the Prerequisites package which can be found on the same link at the bottom of the page.

Fix.

Note: all links are Microsoft links.

Hope this may be of help to anyone that has been really frustrated about this issue (I certainly was).

edit on 29-9-2016 by Morrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
A fix for no one who ever asked ?
Thanks...

posted on Sep, 29 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Morrad

Hello, I love ubuntu. A great system.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Thanks I really needed it.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamnotadoctor

Several threads have talked about this issue. This is the most recent.

Windows 7 Checking for Updates for Hours.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Suanna

Thanks for letting me know. Even one member deriving benefit makes compiling this thread worthwhile.

posted on Sep, 30 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hey thanks man, I really appreciate this. I just finished setting up a recording studio and had the same problem. This makes my life so much easier this weekend. cheers!

(post by Michielli removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I'm going to try it....it's gotta be better than what I now do.....turning off updates part of the month, then doing the updates just before the next month's come out.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Morrad

The September fix can be found here. Remember to install the Prerequisites package which can be found on the same link at the bottom of the page.

Fix.

Note: all links are Microsoft links.

Hope this may be of help to anyone that has been really frustrated about this issue (I certainly was).

You gotta laugh..
This update would download or install...at least so far....it just stays at 0% for hours now.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Still playing up? The prerequisite package link was not working when I checked it this morning.

posted on Oct, 6 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I cannot get any updates to install right now....did 4 of them on the 5th...and since then they cancel themselves out.
Not sure why M$ is playing these games.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Sorry to hear that. I have done a disk copy so I don't have to mess around in the future if I need to reinstall.

posted on Oct, 8 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I've got disks for Win7 32- and 64-...but the thought of months and months of updates

With so many having update issues, it's hard to believe it's not M$ not giving full support to anything but Win10 !!!!!

new topics

top topics

join