It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The McCollough effect when an image can damage your Brain.(WARNING DON'T LOOK AT IT BTW).

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
If it really lasts that long , that's scary.
Reminds me of this trippy vid..effects only lasts for a few seconds

Is this what Lysergic acid diethylamide is like?

I'm interested.
edit on 26-9-2016 by slapjacks because: censorship

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

I am going to go ahead, pause the video, and have a good long look.

Experimentation is crucial to the absorption of knowledge.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Experimental phase has begun. So far I am not suffering any lasting effects of staring at the images. I was looking at them dead on, without ceasing or even blinking for right around forty seconds by my count. As yet, they have had no effect, in so far as I do not see them when looking at gridded, lined, or text rich fields, nor when using data systems such as the one with which I am currently interfacing.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:44 PM
link   
120 seconds and nada.

I shall imbibe more wine and give it another go, for science.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Are you looking at the images on the wiki? The ones that are hidden, with the instructions?

Good luck with that!

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Tried the wiki images as well. Nada

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I want to look so bad, just because you told us not to! Ahhh, it's killing me.

Maybe I'll give it a go after work, don't want to be rolling around town with the McCollough effect messing with my vision.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

I will try it out.. My brain is only on lease anyway.. Haha but I can change the colors of stuff at will if the lighting has the correct level.. So low lighting and people who are colorblind will start seeing more greys.. I can make the real colors of objects more intense, so I can still see color in the dark, or I can change the colors to other ones, it's easiest to do oppsites like pink to light green or dark red to dark green but honestly you decide what you are seeing..

I bet I can turn the effect off if it actually gets turned on in the first place, because of my abiity to change what I am seeing. I mostly do it to correct false things I know are wrong anyway.

tried for a couple minutes, the effect is pretty weak, and actually it's exactly what I was talking about, I guess my brain is already "broken" and I already know how to adjust it to see correctly anyway.. I have to try to get the effect to work. I guess I trained in a good autocorrect.

edit on 26-9-2016 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Meh, no big deal. I looked and I feel just french fry.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Watched the 5 minute video and nothing yet, I did see a couple of lines after I'd finished watching but not anymore, guess it's more for people with a acceptable mind?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I'm not going to try it because I don't want to experience the effect. It's hard enough to stay sane and alert, that might just push me over the edge, lol. But it is an interesting phenomenon/effect. Here is some info off Wiki:

Producing the effect

The effect is inducted by looking at a test image similar to that on the left. It contains oppositely oriented gratings of lines, horizontal and vertical. Next, the subject stares alternately at two induction images similar to the ones directly beneath the top image. One image should show one orientation of grating (here horizontal) with a colored background (red) and the other should show the other orientation of grating (here vertical) with a different, preferably oppositely colored background (green). Each image should be gazed at by the subject for several seconds at a time, and the two images should be gazed at for a total of several minutes for the effect to become visible. The subject should stare approximately at the center of each image, allowing the eyes to move around a little. After several minutes, the subject should look back to the test image; the gratings should appear tinted by the opposite color to that of the induction gratings (i.e., horizontal should appear greenish and vertical pinkish).

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Just have to take a look at the vid. Will report back........

Eferythibc mornmal, dodn't avvect mu ot all,

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Lame. Tried it. At best it relaxed me into a meditative state staring at it.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
Watched the 5 minute video and nothing yet, I did see a couple of lines after I'd finished watching but nothing anymore.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Sort of unrelated (maybe), I was recently wearing those red/blue 3D glasses for about 30 minutes or so. After I took them off, I noticed that the colors of the world as seen through my left eye were different than the colors I see through my right eye (remember, this is AFTER I took the 3D glasses off).

I know it wasn't my eyes that changed, but rather the way my brain was perceiving the world. I suppose my brain got a little confused when I was wearing the red/blue 3D glasses, and began compensating -- with that compensation continuing for a while even after I took off the glasses.

edit on 2016-9-26 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 09:25 PM
link   
!'m going to stick beans up my nose and stare at it for hours.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
You could turn yourself into a Superhero... Like Ray Miland in 'The Man with the X-Ray Eyes' !! Get a job as a Radiologist.. Tidy Coin in that

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grubblesnert

I've done that before. I have since learned not to look directly at the lights. Instead, look at them from a slightly-less-than 90 degree angle, that way you can see the LED's and if they're working, but they won't burn a hole in your retinas. Kinda like you don't look down the barrel of a gun to see if it's loaded, right?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

Eferythibc mornmal, dodn't avvect mu ot all,

lol

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
a reply to: grubblesnert

......." Kinda like you don't look down the barrel of a gun to see if it's loaded, right?
"

Or......I could take my LED flashlight and use a piece of foil as a reflector place the foil in the receiver, shine the flashlight down the receiver and look down the barrel to check the rifling.
Yea that'll work.
But not while I'm checking to see if it's loaded.
Everyone knows you're supposed to just "dry fire" it out of a window or in the air.

Right?

P.S. FYI I've left a lot of lead in soybean/cotton fields and in the banks of the Cape Fear River back in the day

<< 1    3 >>

join