It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The McCollough effect when an image can damage your Brain.(WARNING DON'T LOOK AT IT BTW).

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Did some training last week and heard about this phenomenon of human visual perception in which colorless gratings appear colored contingent on the orientation of the gratings.

WARNING IT IS DANGEROUS DON'T TEST IT OUT.

So tempted to try it but I will not and I urge just in case not to also here is a video explaining more.

There are a few explanations on why this happens on this wiki page.

en.wikipedia.org...

Explanations[edit]
McCollough's paper has sparked hundreds of other scientific papers.[5][6] Explanations appear to fall into three camps.[1][4][7]

McCollough indicated color adaptation of edge sensitive neurons in lower, monocular regions of the visual cortex.[1]
A functional explanation of MEs has been posited in the form of an error-correcting device (ECD) whose purpose is to maintain an accurate internal representation of the external world. Consistent pairings of color and oriented lines are not found frequently in natural environments, thus consistent pairing may indicate pathology of the eye. An ECD might compensate for such pathology by adjusting the appropriate neurons to a neutral point in adaptation to orientation contingent color.[4]
A third explanation points to the contribution of classical conditioning to normal homeostatic regulation. MEs are explained by the same mechanisms as pharmacological withdrawal symptoms, thus the "pharmacological CR is expressed as pharmacological adaptation (tolerance) in the presence of the drug, and withdrawal symptoms in the absence of the drug" and the "chromatic CR is expressed as chromatic adaptation in the presence of colour, and the ME in the absence of colour".[7] By this account MEs are of no adaptive value, but have been selected for as a domain-general ability to anticipate events.[7] This is related to opponent-process theory.
It is worth noting that these theories are not targeted toward the anti-McCullough effect.[8]

Neurophysiological explanations of the effect have variously pointed to the adaptation of cells in the lateral geniculate nucleus designed to correct for chromatic aberration of the eye, to adaptation of cells in the visual cortex jointly responsive to color and orientation (this was McCollough's explanation) such as monocular areas of cortical hypercolumns, to processing within higher centers of the brain (including the frontal lobes[9]), and to learning and memory. In 2006, the explanation of the effect was still the subject of debate, although there was a consensus in favor of McCollough's original explanation.

MEs do not transfer interocularly[1][10] and from this it seems reasonable to deduce that the effect occurs in an area of the visual system prior to V1-4B, where binocular cells first occur.

Kinda scary and I wonder If anyone could use this effect for evil
Anyhow just thought it may interest some

edit on 26-9-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2016 by TheKnightofDoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheKnightofDoom

If I put the image on a TShirt could I be done for assault?.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheKnightofDoom

Not if you had "Stop Staring At Me" in tiny letters somewhere on the t-shirt!

This is one of those things that brings out the "jump off the cliff" instinct in me...I know I shouldn't, and I almost certainly won't, but I WANT TO!!!

Weird stuff indeed.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I'd honestly give it a go but the little representation in the video set off a migraine.

Haha, thankfully ATS is anonymous because that could be kryptonite... I'm tempted to go stare at it now.

EDIT:

It's just black and white ones I think, I might have had a migraine coming or it might literally be my brain saying kill me now. Either way it's interesting lol

Hmm, I might experiment with this. I've been triggered!
edit on 26-9-2016 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I just did about 20 seconds and I can start to see what he means not doing it....don't do it it Jonjonj for the love for allthats holy don't do it....
We need a lab rat is Augustus up yet?.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It was so hard to play the video in the background. I wanted to look but then I heard him say for up to 3 months you could see color in any gratings anywhere...... Agh no thank you. My brain and eyes are whacky enough. I think I experience enough subtle optical hallucinations on my own without damaging myself further.

-Alee

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I may set it as my avatar lol.

(I will not really).

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

You know that somebody will...I mean it is inevitable, this is ATS.

It won't be me though, I read the wiki...

freaky-deaky!!!

*Not sure even Augustus would be up for this, how would he know which secret door to go into if he couldn't see the flags properly?

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Not kidding 20 seconds and I can see it still made me feel funny in the head...kinda cool.
Oh I added a warning so people don't do it.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

So you averted your eyes too?

I was glancing around the room chasing a non existent fly.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

I bet it is his wallpaper at his home
or If it isn't we could make it so! mahahahahahaha.
Reading about The anti-McCollough effect which can cure The Mcollough effect found a cure here for those idiotic like me to look at it for a while.

(WARNING I SAY CURE BUT CAN NOT SAY T CURES 100% OH AND DON'T WATCH IF NOT ALREADY EFFECTED IT STILL HARMS BRAIN).

HUZZAH ! A cure
Isn't science fun

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I may set it as my avatar lol.

(I will not really).

Someone is going to, I'd bet money on it

It's been a good few minutes now and I can still see the lines, I've worked out a few things that has a high chance of giving migraines (for me) but that's taking the biscuit... I imagine it could easily set off epilepsy too.

I just had to look didn't I
I'll probably be back and do it again in a few days too but for now I'm gonna go sit an a dark room and have a few words with myself.

BTW thanks pal

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

a john Mayer record has the same effect ironically... painfull

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I just did this at the stop light.

OmG

I can't move now. Is this a movie. I can't see. Where am I? Help

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

This thread is going to effect the membership of ATS like no other Mahahahah part of my plan of doom.
btw If you do look at it for 15 mins and watch the debate tonight you will see what is truly on the stage or so my agents of Doom tell me.
Nah only messing I thought it started at 10 gmt and started on my scotch early.
But as the night progresses I bet I have a go looking at it and then watching the cure.
In the name of drunken science!.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

a john Mayer record has the same effect ironically... painfull

Dave Matthew's was a good show, but I can't understand the man-crush Johnny boy has with him.

Added... he has stolen his entire sound imo.
edit on 9 by Mandroid7 because: addddded to

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If it really lasts that long , that's scary.
Reminds me of this trippy vid..effects only lasts for a few seconds

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   
tried it ..

Nothing...meh...

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Worth it if you could get front row seats at the tonight’s debate.

posted on Sep, 26 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Last night I dropped a small high intensity LED flashlight (a cheapy from china) on the concrete floor.

I wanted to see if any of the LEDs had "fritzed out" during the impact. So, I switched it on and looked at it for only a split second.
The image of the light stayed in my vision for about 3 to 5 minutes.
The image was not an exact copy,
it was a red circle with light pink dots in place of the LEDs.

So based on that episode and the OPs and videos warning I won't be experimenting with this "Effect"!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join