It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Capitalism right?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by boogyman
I still don't understand why a society that provides for the well being of all its citizens can't also foster a challenging environment for its citizens as well.

I think that's the real challenge.

In order to "provide" for some citizens a government needs to take from others. Deciding how much to take and from whom lies the real problem, and who gets the "provided" services and who pays for them. That's tricky.

In order to "challenge" it's citizenry a government can't be involved on to many levels of an individuals life. A government can't be a nanny state and still challenge it's citizens. Many social programs have led to people becoming dependent on them which is not what was intended when they were instituted.

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I don't remember union being communist. When did this happen?

posted on Jul, 27 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Posted by SLANK:

Much as we publically abhor chaos, I think we actually need a certain amount of chaos to sustain us. It is in fact the realm that supports our dreams. The land of 'Imagine if . . ' , 'Maybe . .' , 'I would like . . .'.

Look at my avatar.. I am CHAOTIC good.

You made some great points. I will give you one of my WATS votes for this month.

[edit on 7/27/05 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jul, 28 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Pardon the confusion I don't mean literally communist in nature when regarding labor unions I merely used communism as an umbrella term for economically leftist communal policies. Unfortunately in modern parlance communist has become a catch all term for leftist economic policy so rather the shake the boat and cause confusion I went with the common (incorrect) definition of communism.

Unions though have always been economically leftist organizations, their sole purpose is to provide a collective front in order to negotiate and apply leverage with management.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join