It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$60 nostalgia purchase

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Anytime there is a thread for "What's your favorite all-time game?" I never see this one make the list. Heck, I never submit it as my answer either. Even though it's not #1 or even 2 or 3...It's definitely somewhere in the top 8ish!

When I moved, I trashed or sold all excess. This included my entire video game collection. I needed the space, and the spare coin.

So I've been entirely without video games for a number of years.

The longing for nostalgia slowly crept in. Lately the only game I've been thinking about revisiting was SotN. It's hard to find these days and never comes cheap.

There just weren't too many games like this. There's Metroid, of course. But can you think of any other massive 2D, maze-like platformers like this? I really love the genre.

edit on 19-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Eternal Darkness on the Nintendo game cube. There was supposed to be a sequel, but apparently due to legal disputes it was never released

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The memories Mmm

At the 2 min. mark..

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

Huh I don't remember him talking about SotN, just the SNES and NES ones.

But I just realized my copy is not a 'greatest hits' version. No wonder it was so much money.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

can you think of any other massive 2D, maze-like platformers like this? I really love the genre.

There was one game I totally loved that I think meets those criteria - you play as a rough and rugged guy (maybe his name was "Pete"?), with a big chin and stubble, who is dressed in military clothing and you fight through the mazes. I think you play in a "Willy Wonka" type of level at some point, fighting evil candy-like creatures. I can't fro the life of me remember the name of it but I will try to find out what it was called

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

What console was that on? Sounds amazing! But doesn't sound familiar to me at all.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

My nostalgic purchase from a few years ago was a Nintendo 64. I believe it cost me $20 for the system, controller and cables. The three games I got each cost more than the system itself. Super Mario 64 ($30) Zelda: Majora's Mask ($35), and Zelda: Ocarina of Time ($35). I was flabbergasted at the price of those games. Also bought a Sega Dreamcast, with memory card and two controllers for $40 I think. Ended up selling the n64, Dreamcast and all of the games for $150 on eBay.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

It was actually on PC (not necessarily a bad thing), but come to thin of it there is a chance it was 3D, I can't be sure. It is one of the first games I played outside of NES. It was pre-Nintendo 64 so I know it was sometime around the mid/late 90s to 2000

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: imthegoat

The only Dreamcast games for me were Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. It was the greatest thing EVER! It was the last time a Sonic game was simple and fun.

And yeah, while it's a lot of money for old skool games, I would rather pay 60 dollars for an epic game still standing the test of time instead of 60 for a new game that's probably 45 minutes of tutorials and cutscenes, and about 4 hours of actual gameplay.

edit on 19-9-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   
SotN is an awesome game no doubt. The metroidvania Castlevania titles on DS are also very very good.

Other good ones in the same style, Rogue Legacy, Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, Strider and Odallus : The Dark Call.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
For old games that can be emulated I suggest Faxanadue and Battle of/for Olympus for NES they are in the same vain as metroid.
Also for NES Blaster Master is great.

For a new game I like Axiom Verge.

edit on 19-9-2016 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2016 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Ahh yes! Blaster Master! That was a terrific game. Thanks for jarring my memory.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Eternal Darkness on the Nintendo game cube. There was supposed to be a sequel, but apparently due to legal disputes it was never released

Cheers - Dave

I hadn't it for the cube. Eternal Darkness Sanity's Requiem. Great game. You had a sanity meter which when low the game went weird. You'd try a door and it would be locked, so you'd turn around to go elsewhere and you'd be at a dead end which wasn't there before. Turn back around to the door and it was open.

Really made me think I was losing it on a couple of hazey occasions.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

Eternal Darkness...the game that caused quite a few fights between me and my ex. She thought the GameCube was just taking up space because I only had four games for it.
I played eternal darkness once a year, every fall when the weather feels "spooky".
Incredible game. At one time there was a tv series in the works for the ip as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

The only Dreamcast games for me were Sonic Adventure 1 and 2. It was the greatest thing EVER! It was the last time a Sonic game was simple and fun.

And yeah, while it's a lot of money for old skool games, I would rather pay 60 dollars for an epic game still standing the test of time instead of 60 for a new game that's probably 45 minutes of tutorials and cutscenes, and about 4 hours of actual gameplay.

I actually.prefer regular NES games. The Mario Bros, Zelda et al. One of my favorite games was Jackyl(?) on the NES. A war type game where you drove around in a jeep blasting your way through. California Games was always fun too. Metroid of course. I think Galactica(?) was one of my all time favorites. The little ship you flew through caves and whatnot. I'm considering buying that NES revamp they're releasing for $60 that's preloaded with games.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I hadn't heard of this NES thing you mentioned. I'd definitely buy it. One of my friends sells mod'd xbox consoles with emulators containing every NES, Genesis, and SNES game.

But I'd still buy an official NES version.

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I picked up a modded Xbox(original) that has 200+ games loaded onto it from all the early game systems. Nes, sega, n64, ps1, ect, and a few Xbox games too.

Cost about $80 bucks from Craigslist and I just plug it in and find the game I want to play on the list. One console to maintain instead of 6+, and no game carriages or discs.

Defiantly worth the money just for the nostalgia and I'm kinda looking forward to watching my future children enjoy the same games I did.
edit on 19-9-2016 by Quantumgamer1776 because: Editing

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   
An old computer i would love to have is the sega mastersystem, I used to play sonic and alex kidd on it 20 years ago but i dont have it anymore
I thought it was still in my parents attic but when i searched through the old electrical stuff a while back it wasnt there, I found the remains of one of my uncles old apple computers an apple once i think it was called, When i say remains there was no case just everything was attached to a plank of wood so i didnt bother plugging it in in case i got electrocuted lol, i think my uncle got it from work because steves job was written on the bottom but ive no idea what it was used for. Sega and nintendo have released little reto gaming systems with a load of games built in, They're not that expensive so i might look into getting one of them for a blast from the past

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

a reply to: the owlbear

I am a big fan of hp Lovecraft, so this game is a good fit for me, but that's why I like it so much. I have read every hp Lovecraft novel and started when I was about 12. The myths are extremely well constructed, to the point where whole followings and cults have grown out of the books and of course, the necronomicon. Eternal Darkness, seems based of course on the premise of good vs evil, madness vs sanity and us vs them, with the them being Cthulu amd the old ones.

Play it 3 times, save your games and on the fourth go there is a lot of hidden stuff that's opened up.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 19 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
The disc is in decent condition, but it plays glitchy as hell.

It's looking like a return.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join