It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds second largest meteorite unearthed in Argentina.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Wow this thing is huge weighing over 30 tonnes. I wonder how big the explosion was ? It looks like it would take out a city.

Scientists have discovered a meteorite weighing over 30 tonnes in northern Argentina. The meteorite was found in the town of Gancedo, 1,085 km north of capital Buenos Aires, Mario Vesconi, president of the Astronomy Association of Chaco, said on Monday.

www.sott.net...

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: imsoconfused

I'd love to smelt a little chunk of that into a belt buckle that is a pyramid with the "All Seeing Eye", that would be so badass

Thank you for sharing this. I hope they put it in a museum or somewhere for the public to appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

I'd love to smelt a little chunk of that into a belt buckle that is a pyramid with the "All Seeing Eye", that would be so badass

Thank you for sharing this. I hope they put it in a museum or somewhere for the public to appreciate it.

They have a pretty big one at the Ripleys believe it or not museum in Branson, Well I use to think it was big tell I saw this one.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: imsoconfused
Wow this thing is huge weighing over 30 tonnes. I wonder how big the explosion was ? It looks like it would take out a city.

Scientists have discovered a meteorite weighing over 30 tonnes in northern Argentina. The meteorite was found in the town of Gancedo, 1,085 km north of capital Buenos Aires, Mario Vesconi, president of the Astronomy Association of Chaco, said on Monday.

www.sott.net...

Somebody just got really rich!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It probably was part of a larger object that broke up before raining down in fragments. The one over Russia was supposed to be fifty feet across.

As an aside, looks like the crane is really straining to lift it, I wouldn't be standing that close.

Oh, Snap!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
The meteorite that caused Meteor Crater in Arizona is maybe four feet across. It created a hole a mile wide with the force of 20 tons of dynamite which wiped out anything within several miles. The "rest if it" disintegrated on impact. This was 50,000 years ago.

So yeah, this thing probably did a lot of damage since it is so much larger.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I was thinking the same thing. And the Clap happy guy? Move you idiot! LOL

I wonder what they were digging for, when they found this?

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Got a link for "four feet across" and damage equivalent to "twenty tons of dynamite"? As far as I know, Kilotons of nuclear weapons don't make a crater a mile across.

Sedan Crater

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: intrptr

I was thinking the same thing. And the Clap happy guy? Move you idiot! LOL

I wonder what they were digging for, when they found this?

Got me, seismic surveying, magnetometer, digging a well?

Drilling, drilling--"Clank!" Hey, what was that?

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Wow.

So, with this one being so much bigger, and only approx, 4000 years ago, It could have wiped out a whole lot of people, if the area had been populated.

It is interesting to think about what people would have thought back then, seeing this shooting across the sky. And what would have it been like, to come to the area, say a week or a month later, and find everything gone, and not know why?

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Wow.

So, with this one being so much bigger, and only approx, 4000 years ago, It could have wiped out a whole lot of people, if the area had been populated.

It is interesting to think about what people would have thought back then, seeing this shooting across the sky. And what would have it been like, to come to the area, say a week or a month later, and find everything gone, and not know why?

makes you see why the invisible guy in the sky theory might have become so prominent.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Shouldn't there be a huge crater around that meteorite? Almost looks like it was brought in from somewhere else and buried there.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueShaman
Shouldn't there be a huge crater around that meteorite? Almost looks like it was brought in from somewhere else and buried there.

I was just thinking where is the crater?

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

This meteor fits into the time line of a depopulation of the area. Maybe this meteor was the cause of this "extensive dry period"

"The area now known as Argentina was relatively sparsely populated until the period of European colonization. The earliest traces of human life are dated from the Paleolithic period, and there are further traces in the Mesolithic and Neolithic.[1] However, large areas of the interior and piedmont were apparently depopulated during an extensive dry period between 4000 and 2000 B.C.[2]"

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Got a link for "four feet across" and damage equivalent to "twenty tons of dynamite"? As far as I know, Kilotons of nuclear weapons don't make a crater a mile across.

Sigh. I SAW it last month. I had my picture taken with it and that is my estimation of its size having touched it and stood by it. But I spent two seconds on google and got 1.5 million hits. Here's a couple so you don't have to work too hard:

meteorcrater.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.barringercrater.com...

Added a pic of it: www.flickr.com... D-o5y4rr-odCSG-j9mKQE-Cn3eH-abCTHg-dyG4AY-FWxDb5-bKNrci-pfXeL-6KqUnY-x7YWUi-bWDQgQ-j9hiXV-ffKwHy-3mJyh2-bKNrFZ-rneFbc-9yXPBg-dqqZ9Z-8Axb29-Cxfeae-er42 zp-bUqyrW-eBkk5Q-dU3xUB-rneET8-9NAoLV-dZqTxr-bWDQpC-3mP1E9-nQnUCq-6Q2vz5-7NAz9T-7uPfmx-d2A2Hu-dzjKxX-8TULJh

edit on 9/13/2016 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: intrptr

Sigh. I SAW it last month. I had my picture taken with it and that is my estimation of its size having touched it and stood by it. But I spent two seconds on google and got 1.5 million hits. Here's a couple so you don't have to work too hard:

meteorcrater.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.barringercrater.com...

Holy crap that was only 4 feet across? This thing must of been biblical.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

A thirty Tonne Meteor impacting the earth would be absolutely devastating, like blackened skies devastating. The crater would be HUUUUGE!! So, here is my thinking. If this meteorite has only been in the ground for 4,000 years I don't think it actually landed there 4,000 years ago but rather is much older and was placed there 4,000 years ago. Why and how would people do that? No idea but, when that thing hit the earth traveling thousands upon thousands of miles per hour the crater would be a few miles wide and it would be nighttime for awhile because of the smoke, dust etc.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: 191stMIDET

A thirty Tonne Meteor impacting the earth would be absolutely devastating, like blackened skies devastating. The crater would be HUUUUGE!! So, here is my thinking. If this meteorite has only been in the ground for 4,000 years I don't think it actually landed there 4,000 years ago but rather is much older and was placed there 4,000 years ago. Why and how would people do that? No idea but, when that thing hit the earth traveling thousands upon thousands of miles per hour the crater would be a few miles wide and it would be nighttime for awhile because of the smoke, dust etc.

What if hit in water and was carried there in the ensuing tsunami?

Just spitballing.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Joe Dirt thought he had one also. Maybe its from a dinosaur.. jk

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I don't have the google earth fu that many people have, but maybe the whole area is in some large crater, miles wide?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join