It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People and their Cell Phones

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Funny story about cell phones... Just this past Saturday I went on a drive up in the mountains, and at one point I stopped at this mountain store to get gas. I figured I might as well use the restroom because the coffee was working. When I went in I noticed an iPhone sitting on the toilet tank. I just left it there figuring someone had left it. It was a popular place, and there was another guy waiting to use it (the restroom, not the cell phone) when I came out. So then I went out into the store looking for some snacks.

About this time some gal in her 20's came racing into the store. "I've lost my phone! !I lost my phone!! Has anyone seen my phone????? I've got find my phone!!!!!", she said in desperation. I watched this gal for a minute or so, and then asked her if her phone was a white iPhone. She got right up in my face practically, veins bulging in her neck..."YES!!! Did you see it??? Where was it, where was it???!!!! Oh my Gawd...where WAS it???" She was so busy having a panic attack about her phone I couldn't even get in a word to tell her where I saw it.

I finally managed to tell her I saw it in the bathroom, and she immediately darted over to the bathroom and started repeatedly twisting the handle and then knocking on the door. "My phone, my phone is in there! I need to get my phone!! (knock, knock, knock) HELLO??? Is there anyone in there??? My phone is in there!!! I need to get my phone!!" It was unreal, I thought this gal was going to have a nervous breakdown waiting for this guy to come out!! She was pacing back and forth, putting her hands on her head, muttering about her lost phone.

The guy came out about a minute later and she pushed by him and dashed in to get her phone. Reunited with her phone, she immediately started furiously texting away. It was like someone had deprived her of oxygen for 4 minutes the way she was going at it! So I'm standing in the checkout line behind her (still furiously texting away) and some other guy. She gets to the counter and sets down her phone. I look, and what is she doing on her phone? Facebook, of course! All that drama...really??? Just so you could get back to your Facebook friends???? REALLY????

I honestly believe if that guy would taken just 60 seconds longer in the bathroom this gal would have lost consciousness and gone into full cardiac arrest, or had a complete cerebral hemorrhage.

Unreal!

edit on 9/13/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It was so GD important to her that she left it laying on a toilet tank.

Yeah, people got their priorities all effed up.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I'm in this demographic, and I've never seen anyone react like this to losing their phone. Maybe she had some kind of personality disorder.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

LOL...are you kidding??? I see people like that ALL the time!! This is just the first time I've ever interacted with one, but I see it everywhere. I truly believe if the cell phone companies ever shut off all services for an hour in this country there would be mass panic and anarchy!!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

LOL...are you kidding??? I see people like that ALL the time!! This is just the first time I've ever interacted with one, but I see it everywhere. I truly believe if the cell phone companies ever shut off all services for an hour in this country there would be mass panic and anarchy!!

I see it too.
I hate when I see people trying to interact with checkout clerks at a store.... while they are talking to someone on a cell phone phone. I have seen it occur at fast food restaurants.
Not only is it rude, but it slows everything down for the people waiting in line behind them.
Put the damn phone down for the whole minute that it takes to order /pay for what you are buying.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It's my generation and the newer generations. Kids with phones is like children with candy

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I'm in this demographic, and I've never seen anyone react like this to losing their phone. Maybe she had some kind of personality disorder.

Or an addiction. Better her phone than heavy drugs, cigarettes, or alcohol, I guess.

Unless she texts herself into traffic and gets runover.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

Yeah, gobs and gobs of REALLY sugary candy!! Like truckloads of REALLY super-ultra concentrated sugar!!

Can you imagine what would happen if all cellular services were stopped for a whole day????

Gawd help us!!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I truly believe if the cell phone companies ever shut off all services for an hour in this country there would be mass panic and anarchy!!

Or a run on liquor stores.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The poor little muffin. Hilarious yet sad to see first hand I'm sure.
Since this is a conspiracy site, interesting you note what happens if they were to shut down the cell service for an hour... remember the stuff around that ranch in the US around a year ago? They did shut off satellites that closed any communication via cell.
If you wanted to mess up a city or larger, just shut off those satellites. Instant mayhem. For those with the cell phone addiction.
May wish to think again about dropping that old ancient land line. Just sayin'.

And those who find it necessary to text while driving---- may they all rot in hell. Just hadda say.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Or worse, texts herself into a multi-car fatality accident where innocent people who weren't texting get killed.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   

That would be hilarious.
In fact, if my internet at home stops working, I usually have "something important" to look up on the 'net RIGHT ABOUT NOW! Don't know why this only happens when there is this really, really important thing that needs to be looked up RIGHT NOW, but it seems to be correlated.

Yeah, we all seem to exist in a world full of idiots. Sometimes, We are the idiots.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Or worse, texts herself into a multi-car fatality accident where innocent people who weren't texting get killed.

My mom can't drive anymore so I spend a lot of time sitting in parking lots waiting for her. I been noticing lately, just about every person I see pull up, park and get out of their car has a cell phone in their hand. Just about every time I see someone behaving erratically in traffic and I get a look at them, they are also texting.

Wonder what the stats on traffic accidents behind cell phones are? They should make them turn off when moving faster than walking speed.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

Well, it's actually a new Bill which is currently up for vote in the House of Murphy's Congress. It states...

"The importance and urgency of your internet search is inversely proportional to the stability of your internet connection."

It's right behind the Bill about phone calls in general, which states...

"The probability of the telephone ringing with an important/urgent call is directly proportional to the time remaining and the urgency of your apocalyptic restroom appointment."

edit on 9/13/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

If we ever lose cell service, then we'll truly get to enjoy a "zombie apocalypse". Everyone will panic and start eating each other, I know it!!! lol

I joke about it, but I used to work for a company that worked for Verizon. One Saturday there was a rockslide somewhere that broke one of the big cables coming into town that connected us to our internet, land-line phones, and oddly enough, Verizon. Well, the store I worked at on average got 2-3 people in a day, sometimes we'd have days where nobody would come in. Yes, very boring job.

Well, on the day Verizon went out, we easily got in over 200 very angry people yelling and demanding answers from a company that just sells phones for Verizon. So if they act that way because their phones don't work one day, I'm willing to bet by the end of the week we'll have cannibalism. lol
edit on 13-9-2016 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-9-2016 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

The technology is already here to accomplish this (i.e. turning off features on phones in motion). In fact, my Subaru disables the dial pad in my car when it's in motion. Now I could cheat and just use the phone itself, but it just illustrates the technology is there.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Same. I'm 25 and I've never seen anyone flip out like that over a cell phone.... its just a phone... it can be replaced (though I get they aren't cheap any more)

-Alee

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

Same. I'm 25 and I've never seen anyone flip out like that over a cell phone.... its just a phone... it can be replaced (though I get they aren't cheap any more)

-Alee

Then I assume you've never worked in electronics retail. Trust me when I say this, there are people ages 10-45 that flip out like that over their phones, especially if they're apple people. I wouldn't say it's a specific demographic that acts this way because there seems to be people from all ages, but it does happen, and it happens a lot more often than it should.

It could also depend on where you live. I used to live in Fort Collins, a big college town with LOTS of rich people. I saw this sort of behavior a lot up there. I now live in a small town down south and even though there are apple people here, they don't seem as fanatic as they did up north.

Keep in mind, for many people it's not just a phone, it's a status symbol.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

.... its just a phone... it can be replaced ...

-Alee

Like, right this FREEKING SECOND!! I need my phone replaced RIGHT...THIS...FREEKING...SECOND...OH MY GAWD!!!
I might have missed an "invite", or (GASP!)...a "like" on my SELFIE!!! The Humanity!

OH MY GAWD, OH MY GAWD!!!

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

This event was at the Mountain Merchandise gas station right at the base of the Central City Parkway (exit 243).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join