It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conferate Flag vs Colin Kaepernick

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Slavery ended over 150 years ago, get over it.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
When one earns 19 million a year to be a bench warmer.....your head may get a little to big for your body. 19 million a year to be an asre-hole. Marginal athlete, will end up a marginal celebrity. Just keep thinking...19 million a year, 19 million a year,19 million a year. Got a sucky ring to it ,don't it?

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Just imagine how successful he would have been in his country of heritage where he would not have been oppressed.
The skies the limit....lol

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Confederate heritage...I wouldn't exactly broadcast that.

Excuse me while I take pride in who I am...

MY FOREFATHERS FOUGHT AN INVADING ARMY AND DIED TO TRY AND DEFEND THEIR WAY OF LIFE, THEIR LIBERTY, AND THEIR SOVEREIGNTY! I AM PROUD OF WHO I AM!

Just in case you didn't get it the first time...

MY FOREFATHERS FOUGHT AN INVADING ARMY AND DIED TO TRY AND DEFEND THEIR WAY OF LIFE, THEIR LIBERTY, AND THEIR SOVEREIGNTY! I AM PROUD OF WHO I AM!

Live with the fact I am proud of who I am or send another army.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: openyourmind1262

Just imagine how successful he would have been in his country of heritage where he would not have been oppressed.
The skies the limit....lol

I think he might possibly, just possibly be aiming his protest at things such as.... hmmmm, let's see - how does being disproportionately more likely to be fatally wounded by the (majority white) police without in many cases - I'm not saying all - any due process being followed. I'm neither black nor American but I can certainly see why he could see that as something to use his position to make a stand on. I find it more telling that there are those who don't.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Confederate heritage...I wouldn't exactly broadcast that.

Especially if you are proud of it. It is am embarassment.

I'm sorry, what?

I think I'd be a bit more embarrassed about not spelling embarrassment correctly, while belittling a entire group of people.

Quite proud of my southern heritage, as many others here in the South are. I had ancestors fight on both sides of that war.

I'm not ashamed about a damn thing.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Do you think he's also protesting being disproportionately more likely to commit a violent crime, thus putting himself into the position to be met with a violent response?

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Wait wait wait!
Are you talking about the lack of personal responsibility? How unique.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

If this was only about people who HAVE or are in the process of committing a violent crime then who can say. But when they are not then why should their potential action be judged differently based on the colour of their skin?

The majority of mass shooters in America over the last 40 or so years are white males - does that mean police have been shooting white males without due process based on the fact they are white and male means they are likely to commit a mass shooting? Figures don't add up on that one, do they?

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: xstealth

All they wanted was the right to keep their slaves.
The Crazy Horse quote is a nice touch, pretty ironic really.

And all Lincoln wanted was that sweet sweet money from selling southern produced goods,and as long as he was getting it there was no problems. When the South said no more Lincoln and his banker buddies went after them.

Lincoln was also a racist. read his diaries sometimes. He didnt like Slaves. he would had deported them all after the civil war if he was not killed.

But hey Keep believing in that Lie about Lincoln going to war to free the slaves as the true reason. Lincoln was a Traitor to the Constitution by breaking no less than 11 laws while prosecuting his war.
He got a Traitors death deservedly so.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: thinline

That flag is the utmost symbol against American Tyranny.

More like the utmost symbol of treason against America.

Lincoln Betrayed the constitution So not much room to talk there Buster. Lincoln broke 11 laws to have his way. So it was actually Lincoln who committed treason but his side won. remember the WInners write the history books as Biased as they can to keep amassing power.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

You shouldnt be ashamed, the civil war wasnt only because of slavery. Regardless, its history, and you can wave that flag all you want.

Suddenly there a problem with this old flag, SMH....

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Yes, police have shot white males without due process. And black males. And Hispanic males.

The number of black males shot by police without cause is statistically infinitesimal should one do any actual research and not rely on memes and cracked.com for one's information.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

All they wanted was the right to keep their slaves.

That's why SOME wanted to be left alone.

The bigger picture was that they felt the federal government was over-reaching its authority by telling them what they could and could not do as states (remember, the 10th Amendment existed at that point).

I wholly disagree with slavery, but I sympathize with the desire to limit the federal government's authority to tell everyone what to do.

But, if you really think that the Civil War was only about keeping slaves, you are quite wrong--sadly, that just became the major issue during the fight to limit federal intrusion into state affairs.

I do, however, think that rights for all human beings SHOULD be a federal issue, so even though I can sympathize with the overall reason they were fighting the federal government, I absolutely defend the fed's purpose in making all people free.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Yea, if not so oppressed....he might have made it to $20 million a year.a reply to: Bluntone22

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Yes, police have shot white males without due process. And black males. And Hispanic males.

The number of black males shot by police without cause is statistically infinitesimal should one do any actual research and not rely on memes and cracked.com for one's information.

You really are hiding behind your own bias and ignoring the point I made. Good luck with that. Statistically more black people have been shot, and killed. By all means use your data based on what makes you feel good - I'm neither black or American so I have the advantage of being more neutral than yourself.

www.washingtonpost.com... ae5b6

But knock yourself out, feel good about yourself. Just try not to talk about things you can't actually back up without perhaps resorting to right wing press.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
What the symbol of the confederate flag means to you depends on how you've seen it used in your life. Some see heritage, some see hate. I grew up in rural Kentucky/Tennessee and it was used as a racist signal to other racists, and to remind african americans of the time of slavery. It got so bad that a shooting actually happened in 1995 in the small town I lived in over a confederate flag. For weeks our town was filled with KKK and skinheads who burned crosses on my neighbors lawns and held rallies and marches almost every day up and down the streets, which culminated in some KKK members throwing a pipe bomb at me and some friends while we were skateboarding (I assume because we didn't divide ourselves along racial lines like the rest of the people in the town). So understand why I see hate and not heritage when I see the confederate flag, because that's what it's been used as a symbol of by a lot of people, especially in the south, for a long time.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Perfect example of cognitive dissonance. You're proud that your forefathers fought to preserve slavery and not at all bothered by the fact that your forefathers fought to preserve slavery.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Quite proud of my southern heritage

No. You're proud of the part of your "southern heritage" that you deem laudable and you deny the rest of the "heritage" in order to do so.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Slavery ended over 150 years ago, get over it.

The popularity of Confederate flags is nothing BUT evidence of white southerners not "getting over it." Meanwhile, they continued to oppress the former slaves and their descendants for another century and again had to be forced by the rest of the country to stop that.

Jim Crow ring any bells? Segregation? Lynchings? KKK? Separate but equal? Brown v. Board of Education? Rosa Parks? MLK? Civil Rights Act of 1964? Voting Rights Act of 1965?

Any of that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join