It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B-2, B-1, and B-52 formation flyby at Edwards AFB 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   
We were fortunate enough to be present at the 2009 Edwards AFB Show (the only one they have had since 911). I addition to the cool aircraft on the ground (F-15 STOL/MTD, The F-16XL, ACTIVE, White Night etc) one of the best parts at the show came at the end. They put every airframe that flew that day into the air for a mass formation flyby. Included in this was a flyby by all of the US Heavy Bombers in service. THe video quality is not fantastic (small handheld camera) and the bombers are mid video.

The show its self is great and because only the hard core drive that far out into the desert, it was a really good crowd.

edit on 9/10/16 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FredTGood one.Always thought the B-1 was a beautiful plane,too bad they aren`t as reliable as a B-2

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ridgerunner
a reply to: FredTGood one.Always thought the B-1 was a beautiful plane,too bad they aren`t as reliable as a B-2

Yep and part of me hopes someone will resurrect the B-1R concept.... That would be a perfect solution to the F-22's missile limitation

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Just had a quick read about the R variant .. Interesting never knew that wanted to make a B1 a possible air to air aircraft. Imagine that a large aircraft capable of Mach 2+ that carries air to air. My mind is probably wrong but can you imagine a B1 with a pay load of air to air missiles as well as air to ground weapons

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Yeah, the far fetched V tail aside its basically a -A model with Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100 engines. However, my understanding is was to be more of a missile truck equipped with AMRAAMS that are boosted by a ramjet similar to the MBDA's Meteor etc. The F-22 would sit in its HICAP position and using its data link provide a general area to loft the missiles into and perhaps provide mid course guidance. The R would loiter in a safe area say behind Taiwan, and yet be able to defend the straight against the PLAAF

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT woah slow down I'm no aviation pro I only recognised one acronym from your reply haha time for me to do some googling lol I think I get what you are saying though

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I'll almost guarantee it won't happen. They can't spare the money, for one thing, and it would take an almost total redesign of the aircraft to solve the issues they have with the current platforms flying around. They'd need upgrades for the new engines, new radar, comms system, upgrades to the wings for the external racks for the missiles, etc.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

LOL

HICAP = High altitude combat air patrol
F119-PW-100 = The engine powering the F-22 Raptor
AMRAAMS = aka AIM-120 the primary beyond visual range air to air missile (BVRAAM) for the US Air Force among others
MDBA = European Defense contractor that makes the....
METEOR = another BVRAAM that in many ways is superior to the AIM-120
PLAAF = People Liberation Army Airforce aka Communist China's air arm

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT ha thank you
the one I knew was AMRAAM lol you guys are waaaay ahead of my league

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

That's what the acronyms 101 thread is for.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 I know I know but when it's almost 3am in the morning my concentration span can't cope with chopping and changing between threads plus reading other threads too. Just not enough time in the world to soak it all up. Sorry I was just be lazy

Have those above acronyms been covered in the 101 thread? If not might be a few to add to the thread

edit on 10-9-2016 by ThePeaceMaker because: Added text

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

At least some of them were.

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
My apologies .. I'll try better next time

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 09:03 PM
link   
That B-1....she's a saucy flirt.....lov her