It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cal State LA offers segregated housing for black students

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

originally posted by: Puppylove
I'm glad Martin Luther King Jr is not alive to see this. So much for his dream I guess.

He was smart enough to know that this type of misguided over zealousness from the youth pops up from time to time, and it'll pass - at least it's non-violent. But he WOULD probably agree with looking into and ending any racism on campus.

Hear hear!! It's almost a cliché for a large number of uni students to get political and kick back at what they see as wrong. It's part of what uni is there for - a challenge to everyone's notion of the world. What's more, it's a rites of passage they're entitled to go through without being too ridiculed (bit of ridicule is equally good for the soul). We should applaud every student who goes veggie, joins a protest or argues with their parents about how to fix the world's problems.

MLK was a special person. It doesn't require any awesomeness to admire the passion of new students. Still, MLK would have instinctively known that most idealistic students become far more conservative as they grow older and settle down. Not many people are more radical now than they were in their early 20s and it's the natural order of things.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I feel like I just read this story. I had something to do with bird things and stars ... or something.

Really, the real danger here is that eventually at some point or other when we are busy separating ourselves out, one group blames another when things still aren't perfect and the slaughter ensues.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Cal State LA Black Student Union List of Demands

#1 WE DEMAND $20,000.00 dollars per quarter allocated to the Black Student Union, an organization necessary for Black student development. The Black Student Union is one of the largest student organizations; yet, there is currently no operating budget.

#2 WE DEMAND a CSLA Anti-discrimination policy. Furthermore, we demand that cultural competency training be given to all faculty and staff. It is a shame that discriminatory and racist incidents continue to happen on campus, and those responsible do not face any repercussions. An anti-discrimination policy would outline exactly what discriminatory behavior looks like, and what the consequences are when such policy is violated.

#3 WE DEMAND a $30 million dollar endowment to help support Black students financially, akin to the initiative that is being implemented at UC Berkeley. Many Black students must work 2-3 jobs in order to pay for the continually rising cost of education. Funding is one of the reasons why many Black students do not apply to CSLA, and also a hindrance to many that are accepted. For a University that is as “diverse” as CSLA, something must be done to make sure that Black students are financially secure.

#4 WE DEMAND Black scholarships geared to black students who are both athletes and non-athletes.

#5 WE DEMAND that the Pan African Studies Department projects, programs, and initiatives be fully funded beginning with an additional $100,000.00 for the 2015/2016 academic year.

#6 WE DEMAND the creation of a Master’s program in the Pan African Studies Department.

#7 WE DEMAND the hiring of ten tenured track professors in the Pan African Studies Department. We also DEMAND a continuous commitment to the hiring of Black faculty across all academic disciplines. We want one in-house advisor for the Pan African Studies Department.

#8 WE DEMAND $500,000 in funding for outreach programs that will focus on the recruitment of Black high school students as well as transfer students. This program should be facilitated and overseen by the Pan African Studies Department. There must be an increase in the Black student body from 4% to 15% minimum within two years and to increase Black student admissions to 25% within five years. Additionally, there must be an implementation of programs specifically designed to increase admission, retention, and graduation rates Black students.

#9 WE DEMAND the hiring of 3 full time and permanent Black faculty counselors at the Student Health Center. There must be Black student representation on the Board of Directors and Black public safety and police officers.

#10 WE DEMAND more Black students hired for on-campus, student assistant, work positions.

#11 WE DEMAND CSLA immediately divests ALL its investment holdings (active, passive, direct and indirect) from the private prison corporations of Corrections Corporation of America and the GEO Group. We further demand CSLA immediately divest from Wells Fargo and any other institution that funds and bankrolls the for profit private prison industry.

#12 WE DEMAND first and second year students fulfill a minimum of two ethnic studies courses, with one being a Pan African Studies course, as a graduation requirement.

#13 WE DEMAND the creation and financial support of a CSLA housing space delegated for Black students and a full time Resident Director who can cater to the needs of Black students. Many Black CSLA students cannot afford to live in Alhambra or the surrounding area with the high prices of rent. A CSLA housing space delegated for Black students would provide a cheaper alternative housing solution for Black students. This space would also serve as a safe space for Black CSLA students to congregate, connect, and learn from each other.

#14 Lastly, WE DEMAND an in-person meeting with you on Monday, November 23, 2015 at 3:00p.m in the Pan African Student Resource Center. During this meeting we will discuss the fulfillment and implementation of each demand. We are dedicated to seeking equality and security for each Black student on Cal State L.A’s campus, and we will not stop until each demand has been met.

C'mon, all this group is asking for is $30,700,000 (not counting the salaries for all of the new staff). I can't see why that's an issue.
edit on 9/7/2016 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

and OP is helping them out!

Ignore it and it will go away.

sadly it never does. it just gets bigger, more accepted as the norm, etc.
Then its wondered down the line how there is still such a division in races.

I honestly want you to take just a moment and consider if the word read "white" instead of "black" how different this conversation would be going.
My stance would be the same, I would find it disgusting and regressive..and I bet you would be quite loud also in your condemnation.
Thats the difference here..principle verses which sides. I have principles..and progressives simply have sides without principles
And that is why progressives is literal cancer to liberalism..unprincipled hypocritical hateful ignorant pushing racists masquerading as sensetive "enlightened" protectors of those they have decided are weak..aka, minorities and women

-blood boils

the road to hell is paved with good intentions. time to adopt principles over sides would be my suggestion

But do what you want. In threads about environmental concerns, I will be side by side with you..but in regressive threads where skintone somehow = worth, intellect, protection, or anything else...it seems we will butt heads. egalitarians see equality, not special treatment.

Its a public school. houses should not discriminate. I dont understand how this is even remotely legal at a public university.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedParrotHead
C'mon, all this group is asking for is $30,700,000 (not counting the salaries for all of the new staff). I can't see why that's an issue.

I am a bad liberal because I mentioned it..this thing to be ignored..that is infecting campuses, and now airport traffic in other nations.

I am a bad liberal for frowning at this hyper-racist movement enforcing changes in public university to bring back segregated populations.

you know what...I dont think I am the bad liberal upon consideration...I think there are a poopton of fakearsed liberals pushing their garbage into what liberalism used to be.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
Hear hear!! It's almost a cliché for a large number of uni students to get political and kick back at what they see as wrong. It's part of what uni is there for -

Right. a university student who isn't wanting to change the world for the better somehow in his/her heart is doing it wrong imo.

But the discussion isn't about some durned kids and their hippy love speeches on campus, it is the campus policy changing to conform to this regressive insanity.

Its the adults that are almost always the issue in these stories..the ones teaching the students, the professors shutting down media in public places, the administration making segregation blocks, etc..its those people that are the problem...and its the adults outside who are supporting this by saying to ignore stories of capitulation.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I get riled up by things on ATS about 3-4 times a day lately.

I can't get angry over this one even though I disagree with it

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: SaturnFX

I get riled up by things on ATS about 3-4 times a day lately.

I can't get angry over this one even though I disagree with it

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump in underwear kissing in a big vat of apple sauce.

I put that image in your head...it lives there now. Now do you understand the horrors society is facing?!!

__
I need a break. have a nice rest of the thread folks

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 03:41 PM
link   
SPAM removed by admin
edit on Sep 16th 2016 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

Its a public school. houses should not discriminate. I dont understand how this is even remotely legal at a public university.

But it doesn't discriminate. It is only allowing people of similar goals, interests and ideology (Pan-African Studies students) to commune together if they want to. I see nothing that says only black people are allowed to live in the black living and learning housing, nor do I see where it says that all black students living on campus have to live there. No one is forced in or forced out. So I can't see how it's illegal. The black student union proclaims that the university catered to their desire to have a black student housing, but the university positions it as housing for Halisi Scholars (Pan-African studies students).

Lets just try a hypothetical comparison that would involve white students. Let's say there is such a thing as Irish Culture Studies. Probably not too many black students in those classes, but that doesn't mean blacks are banned - just means they aren't interested. Now let's say the Irish Culture Studies students petition for housing just for them. Obviously there will probably be only whites signing up for living in this house. Are blacks banned? No. Is it segregation? In a way, but not in the way Jim Crow laws in the South did it. Is it discriminating against blacks? I just don't see how it is. It's not positioned as "whites only". Any black student who wanted to major in Irish Culture Studies is free to do so, and is therefore free to get into the house.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Liberals have had control of college campuses for over 30 years. What's the saying?

"You either die the hero, or live long enough to become the villain."

Time for new management.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Ok, then my question is: What is it about that studies program that requires it to have special, segregated housing? If it benefits students of that program to be sequestered only with other students in that major program, wouldn't it likewise benefits students of every major program to be sequestered in housing with only other students who are likewise engaged in their major course of study?

And if the university isn't separating its housing that way, only the Halisi program, why is that? What proof does it have that only Halisi scholars need this type of sequestration in order to succeed?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: Kali74

"Honestly though, you guys (sorry for generalizing here but there's a lot of you) need to stop acting like any of this is new, it's not... a lot of political or social movements began on college campuses. There's a lot failed attempts too, let this fail, it's not really gaining traction in the mainstream except by people absolutely negatively obsessed with political correctness, third wave feminism and all sorts of racial issues. It's in the right-wing media circuit every single day. "

I thoroughly agree. But......what we're seeing across the nation is that the College and University Administrators have turned entirely belly up on this movement. They cave to every demand. Perhaps they have no viable option because of the diversity mandates. So maybe what makes this different this time is that the entire Institutions of Higher Education are being taken hostage and ruined. Where are people entirely intent on simply getting an education supposed to go?

The perceived bellicosity of the new right is a direct response to the out of control SJW ideological poison that is spreading like a cancer across the country. The far left has created the very thing they hate so much by alienating an entire segment of society with extremely divisive rhetoric based upon ethnic and gender lines. Trump is the result. The far left created the beast they deride. And now, we are proceeding into the downward spiral.

The pendulum is being swung further and further until the entire mechanism crashes.

(this is just one part of the larger picture unfolding)

edit on 7-9-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't know, why do they have any of the other themed living housing facilities (that no one here seems to have a problem with)?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I don't know, why do they have any of the other themed living housing facilities (that no one here seems to have a problem with)?

No, I'm not asking why they do. I'm asking why don't they?

Why does this one program need a special housing unit for its majors and not any of the others? If special collected and segregated housing is beneficial to the students in one major program, shouldn't we assume it would be to students in every other program of study too?

And yet, it seems that this special housing is only available to the Halisi scholars who are only students majoring in this one program.

So if special, segregated housing by major is necessary for Halisi scholars, what is either so special about that one program of study to warrant it or why aren't all the other programs of study likewise kept in their own special housing units like Halisi scholars?

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   

They have gender neutral housing. They have honors scholars housing. Has any other major studies program asked for housing? I don't know. Maybe people who are in other programs of study just aren't interested in communing together.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Or maybe other programs of study aren't also based around a special PC victim class quite like the Halisi scholars are?

Math majors, for example, don't tend to consider it a micro-aggression when they walk into a room full of liberal arts majors.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:04 PM
link   

So the honors scholars are a special PC victim? They have their own housing.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

The mental gymnastics I see you performing to justify such a regressive initiative is impressive.

You must be very flexible.

posted on Sep, 7 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

So the honors scholars are a special PC victim? They have their own housing.

Generally speaking, such housing is there for those who need the extra quiet in extended hours.

Is the Halisi scholars program one that needs that? If so, they can live in this housing can't they?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join