It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss tell EU: Hands off veterans' assault rifles

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I have had Swiss friends since the late 70s and have always found them a people who I could get along with. I doubt the Swiss veterans will willing give up their weapons with all that is going on with the forced immigration the EU have crammed down their throats. Anyway I had to smile reading the article and maybe some of you will too. Just one more thing about the Swiss...they have a direct democracy which means they actually have a direct voice in their governments actions by voting..

By John Miller | ZURICH

Friction between Switzerland and the European Union over the bloc's plans to tighten gun control following a rise in militant attacks could turn into another serious snag in ties already tested by Swiss efforts to curb immigration.

The proposed directive, which applies to non-EU member Switzerland only because it is part of Europe's Schengen open border system, has raised hackles among the Swiss, who resent intervention from Brussels.

Christoph Blocher, a leading voice of the Swiss right and a eurosceptic, says Switzerland should consider abandoning Europe's Schengen system of passport-free travel if the Swiss people rejected the proposed measures in a referendum.

Drafted after militants killed scores in attacks in Paris last year, the EU plans on gun control aimed to curb online weapons sales and impose more restrictions on assault weapons.

But the initial proposal provoked an outcry in Switzerland because it meant a ban on the long Swiss tradition of ex-soldiers keeping their assault rifles.

"With our direct democracy, Swiss people are accustomed to having the last word," said ProTell's Dominik Riner. "We're opposed to any and all efforts to make current weapons laws more restrictive."

www.reuters.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Because gun control has worked out so well for France
....and Germany
......and in Brussels
and Chicago and Los Angeles and.....
Sigh. They will never get it through their heads that criminals don't obey laws.
edit on 2-9-2016 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Taking the guns out of veterans' hands, of whom a small proportion keep their guns to begin with, to try and stop terrorists from being able to carry out attacks with guns?

Seems like a terrific plan.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Suppose its a better nation than my own, higher standard of living, low crime rate, less poverty and almost no homeless people. So i have to wonder why these veterans require access to assault rifles considering the overt nature of such a weapon?

Ile give them this, for the amount of weapons in circulation, and in almost every home in there nation there gun crimes statistics are remarkably low.
edit on 2-9-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Dont tell me you actually believe this rubbish .....?

My bro lives in Switzerland and has done for the last 30 years....funny how this news to me through a website and not through real life experience......

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Because gun control has worked out so well for France
....and Germany
......and in Brussels
and Chicago and Los Angeles and.....
Sigh. They will never get it through their heads that criminals don't obey laws.

The criminals you speak of are not on the street they are in fancy buildings with fancy lighting....laughing at the peasants

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Your bro keeps up with everything going on in Switzerland, tells you everything going on in Switzerland and is a better source than Reuters?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Bring out your bankers and corporate scum should be the words on all of our respective nations lips.

Sadly the real culprits are above and/or make the laws which ensure there control over us.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Your bro keeps up with everything going on in Switzerland, tells you everything going on in Switzerland and is a better source than Reuters?

Are you saying that the news media is more reliable than a person that is on the ground living it ?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Bring out you bankers and corporate scum should be the words on all of our respective nations lips.

Sadly the real culprits are above and/or make the laws which ensure there control over us.

As you can see from the reply above these scum have eyes and ears wherever we go

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 07:37 AM
link   
The top people in Brussels have armed security and live around walls with security 24 hours, and they want the common people to not to be able to defend themselves in any eventuality, good for the Swiss to raise their fists against those crappers, common sense is lost..

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Are you saying that the news media is more reliable than a person that is on the ground living it ?

Unless your brother is a Swiss military veteran he may not know anything about what the veteran groups are saying or doing. If you think the article is false you or your brother can always write the publisher or John Miller in ZURICH and see why they went to the trouble of publishing the article and what their facts are.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

"So i have to wonder why these veterans require access to assault rifles considering the overt nature of such a weapon?"

I used to have a very good friend who was a Swiss citizen studying in America. He was a veteran (all able bodied male citizens must serve a time in the military), and he told me he had an automatic weapon in his home. He explained that once he completed his military service, he remained on active reserve and could be called up at any time and was encouraged to keep his weapon in his home by his superior officers.

His point was that this was part of the Swiss national defense strategy. So, if any country ever got it into their head to invade Switzerland, they would have the fight of their life to control the well-armed and trained general population.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
That's disgusting. These people have a right to their firearms, IIRC they have to have them.

Gun control has worked great so far, hasn't it EU? What do we need more of? Gun control! Absolutely ridiculous.

The EU is a cancer on the European Continent. It has achieved through economic slavery what Hitler and Napoleon could not through military means.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Slave2theTruth

Its an interesting take on the matter however i don't imagine veterans even armed with assault rifles would put up much resistance to any invasion force adequately armed.

And who the hell would invade Switzerland in this day of age anyway? That's where all the ill gotten gains of our beloved banks, corporations, drug cartels are stored.

Even "They" know not to crap on there own doorstep.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

That was my thought process as well..

Does anyone know if the weapons used in any of the European terror attacks were purchased legally?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Most i think were re-activated weapons sold as for display purposes but whats one countries deactivated is another ones just hit it hard and its active again as the rules on deactivation change in every country.

Plus the guns most of these people have are state owned as they're still able to be called up so it's not really a personal firearms problem as they'll be responsible personally for the care and maintenance of them in case of trouble.

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

The EU has become known for its idiotic solutions and for insisting on them until they prove to be right. Look at austerity, look at the refugees crisis, look at Greece...

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

A bunch of kids wearing ties playing as grown ups, if you look at some of the videos made in the European Parliament, its cringe worthy material, most of it. What happened to the capable politicians?

posted on Sep, 2 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Substracto

I guess you are not from the Europe.

The European Parliament has no power. Everything is decided by the European Commission and the European Council that is the governments of all the EU countries, then you have the Eurogroup just for the Eurozone countries and I guess its all.

Ah yes, you also have the rotating presidency (of something) that is attributed to a country every six months.

Its a big mess. The Commission is not elected, the President of the Commission is chosen then subject to the EU Parliament vote if he passes then he can choose the commissioners, that are like ministers, by semi-appointment of the states.

Its a monster bureaucracy machine, no wonder it takes so long to do anything and no wonder the countries send there the politicians who may be problematic at home, usually the very young and inexperience, the party leaders wannabes, the future party leaders, the incipient at home that will shine there because the translators can do miracles, and the pre-retirement politicians. And also the politicians to whom the party owes some favours, you can make more than 25.000 per month there as an MEP

top topics

<<   2 >>

join