It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Scientists Unearth 4 Million Year Old Hominid Fossils

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Another group of fossils from Ardipithecus ramidus, an ancestor of Homo sapiens, have been unearthed in Ethiopia. This is a major find for paleontologists, since the fossil material on this hominid is fairly limited.

www.voanews.com
Researchers have unearthed the remains of at least nine primitive human ancestors in Ethiopia, believed to have lived about 4.5 million years ago.

The fossils - fragments of teeth, jaw, hands and feet - all belong to the same species - A. ramidus (Ardipithecus ramidus) - first discovered about a decade ago.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While this isn't the oldest known human ancestor, it's one that we have limited skeletal material from. In spite of looking more like a shaved chimpanzee than a human, this creature did walk on two legs and is thought to be the first in the hominid line AFTER the chimpanzees and other apes branched off from the main line.

Related News Links:
www.cleveland.com
www.cbc.ca
newsinfo.iu.edu

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is an intersting find
Kind of pokes holes in the whole creation science thing eh? Evolutionary lines are not my expertise,Byrd, where are the gaps in human evolution (time frame) that have yet to be discovered?

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
That description reminds me of Oliver the chimpanzee that walked on 2 legs. I wonder if they will check out any comparisons.

Oliver: Amazing Missing Links

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Think of it this way, as far as gaps go. YOu have two organisms, between them, a gap. You find an intermediate. Now you have two gaps! Literally, the more that is learned, the more there is to learn. Answers directly yield questions.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Fred,

The author of the article obviously missed the report (which is understandable because it was published the day of the tsunami) that the first ever study of the 200 or so alleged "pre-human" skeletons determined that all of them--repeat, all of them--belonged to homo sapiens.

The reason there are no missing links is because there's nothing to link to.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Apparently, and unsurprisngly, thats not quite what is said

Prof Henneberg found that the fossils show clear evidence of evolution, with substantial increases in both skull sizes and body-weight. However, he also found that the fossils show no evidence of being anything other than a single species which had grown bigger and smarter over time.

Basically he is saying that human evolution is an example of anagenesis, the change of all the members of a species gradually, ie very ultra-darwinian, as opposed to the normal thinking on the subject, that there was a splitting of linegages.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by kode
That description reminds me of Oliver the chimpanzee that walked on 2 legs. I wonder if they will check out any comparisons.

Is there any video of oliver? I couldnt find any with google

anyone? I love to see him.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I just wanted to point out that there is another thread about this and that I was able to find and post some of the original paper in this above thread.

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by instar

Originally posted by kode

Is there any video of oliver? I couldnt find any with google

anyone? I love to see him.

There was an hour long documentary about Oliver on Channel 4 (uk) last year. It features a fair bit of footage if I remember rightly. Try searching the channel 4 website

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
paranormal.about.com...

Zana ape woman
she had hybrid children and grandchildren with african american features!
That is interesting but not as much as who fathered that beast?
Thats just gross all the beer in the world wouldnt bring me there if you know what i mean , lol

You thought sheep were bad !

"she obviously had developed social abilities since she gave birth to several children sired by various human fathers. How these pregnancies came about exactly is unclear,"

"Several of her other children were taken from her, for their protection, by families in the village who raised them as their own. Unlike their mother, the children did learn to speak and they eventually had children of their own. Zana died in 1890, and the youngest of her children survived until 1954. Her grandchildren, according to researchers, had dark skin, Negroid features and were extraordinarily strong."

African Ancestor?

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If anything the zana wild woman was probably just that, a wild feral human, but not a sub human and certainly not ape. being able to interbreed with humans indicates she's almost certainly human, and that the children were normal almost conclusively demonstrates that she was too.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
"In central Asia, in what, until a few years ago was the Soviet Union, there are stories of a large, ape-like creature that inhabits the mountains. It goes by the name of the Alma."

"The head [of the Alma] rises to a cone-shaped peak,"

paranormal.about.com...://www.unmuseum.mus.pa.us/alma.htm

This reminds me of the scalp that the Tibetan monks have up in the Himalayas which is also cone shaped. I think various tests were done on the scalp to determine what it was, but they were unable to establish its origins.

Then there’s the case of the dwarf people they found quite recently in Indonesia.

I think quite possibly like the UFO they might know more than they let on as it is very sensitive ground they are treading on. I don’t believe god made the world, at least not in the biblical context.

I think that the reason people do not come across these creatures more frequently is explained quite well towards the end of this thread.

top topics

join