It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justice Department says it will end use of private prisons

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates announced the decision today in a memo instructing officials to decline the renewal of contracts with private prison operators.

Jus tice Department memo announcing announcing the end of its use of private prisons

“They simply do not provide the same level of correctional services, programs, and resources; they do not save substantially on costs; and as noted in a recent report by the Department’s Office of Inspector General, they do not maintain the same level of safety and security,”

The Justice Department released a report that concluded privately operated facilities incurred more safety and security incidents than those operated by the federal Bureau of Prisons.

This is a step in the right direction.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Excellent move. Whose idea was it to privatise prisons anyway? I thought it was a stupid idea ever since I heard it, and could barely believe that such things existed.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I agree, this is a good move by the DOJ.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Great move- or so it seems.

Can't wait to see the subtext and who is getting rich off this decision.
The whole private prison thing was a money making scam in the first place, and many people in the criminal justice system made big bucks off of it. Removing that steps on a lot of toes, and removes incentives from a lot of crooked judges to imprison people for no good reason.

This begs the question.... what's in it for them, this time? I'm not capable of thinking they're doing it for the good of the US people. They've all shown themselves to be far too self serving for that.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ATSmediaPRO
Finally some good news!!!! This is excellent news!!! Let's hope it happens quickly!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

The Prison for Profit moguls are going to be pissssed

I'm psyched to hear this though!

Watch it somehow get reversed now.. I wouldn't be surprised.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This us teuly good news, forvtge 1st time in a longvtime out of the DoJ

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Could be just an election campaign trick.

I bet it never actually happens.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Where will they put all the prisoners?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Nationalise the prisons then they don't have to go anywhere.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Do you think they want to nationalize the prisons and the police forces that work in new nationalized prisons?

A huge nationalized police force, does sound like the PTB

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
So It is just the Fed prisons. A good start, I agree.

But I have to wonder, in conspiracy mode, if this has anything at all to do with the recent DEA not rescheduling issue?

More money to be made by the feds?

Or maybe hell has froze over and it is the complete opposite? They are taking over again, and going to release people in states where its legal?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

their stocks are allready crashing but does this only apply to FEDERAL for profit prisons or does it include the state ones

www.zerohedge.com...

Shares of GEO and CXW are crashing to multi-year lows after The Washington Post reports that The Justice Department says it will end the use of private prisons. Corrections Corp is crashing...

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   
They're not releasing anybody. Even if they decriminalized the plant nation wide, they'd pass a decree that says all of those prisoners still have to complete their sentence.

Otherwise we'd have millions of people fresh out of jail overnight. That's bad for the puppetmasters.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Excellent move. Whose idea was it to privatise prisons anyway? I thought it was a stupid idea ever since I heard it, and could barely believe that such things existed.

It was a result of Reagan ramping up the war on drugs and the government needing more prison space due to things like mandatory sentencing and zero tolerance laws.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I love it when our government does something good for a change. I hope this forces a draw down to the War on Drugs.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Not really.. more lip service than anything. The feds only used a small number of those types of prisons. The BOP system are all government controlled / staffed.

Federal Bureau of Prisons - contract facilities
Here is a list of contract prisons in the federal system -
Contract Prison Locations
A CI Adams County
B CI Big Spring
C CI Cibola County
D CI D. Ray James
E CI Eden
F CI Giles W. Dalby
G CI Great Plains
H CI McRae
I CI Moshannon Valley
J CI Reeves I & II
K CI Reeves III
L CI Rivers
M CI Taft

All of which are low security facilities. The FBOP operates 122 facilities including the ones listed above.

Accountable

Contract facilities operate according to a Statement of Work (SOW) or Performance Work Statement (PWS), which outlines the requirements for operating under the contract. Contractors are required to follow all applicable local, state, and federal laws, codes, and regulations for the jurisdiction in which they operate. In addition, they are required to adhere to some BOP policies such as, inmate discipline, use of force, sentence computation, and inmate classification.

Accredited

Contract facilities must obtain accreditation through the American Correctional Association (ACA) and The Joint Commission within two years of receiving inmates.

Answerable

Contractors are required to follow all applicable local, state, and federal laws, codes, and regulations for the jurisdiction in which they operate. To ensure the safety and security of the inmates and community, the Bureau places several staff on-site to monitor contract performance and to ensure contractors perform in accordance with the contract terms and conditions.

edit on 18-8-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Holy flaming hand grenades!! Someone in Government seemingly wants to do something right? Private Prisons should all be shut down YESTERDAY. One of the big reasons the war on drugs continues is because it supplies Private Prisons with "workers" (ie Slaves) who's forced and usually unpaid labor makes massive profits for a select few. Thank you DOJ

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 191stMIDET

The Federal system has something called Inmate Work and Performance Pay.

The slave labor comment is a bit off. Secondly they are in prison to pay their debt to society for the crimes they were convicted of. It is not suppose to be a hotel.

The only exception is facilities are not required to pay the minimum wage.
edit on 18-8-2016 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Greetings-

Where will they put all those drug addicts who shoot marihuana in their veins and are on food stamps?

When I moved to My current ecological niche in 2004 the local County Jail was run by the County. Back then when You read the "Police Briefs" the folks would get a citation and a Promise To Appear and were released in the field.. Some time right around 2009-2010 the Jail was then taken over by CCA™ -Correction Corp of America. The people stopped getting citations and they were all 'booked into county jail'. So now each traffic stop is a "fishing expedition" and most cars are searched.

One of the County Commissioners looked into canceling the contract and taking back the operations of the Jail. He was advised if the County cancelled the contract it would cost the County close to $16M. Yes, that reads "M" as in MILLIONS.
Not only that but Citrus County Flori-Duh also houses prisoners from the Territories and those arrested at Sea and the local taxpayer gets to pay the "booking fees"..

But to put things in perspective, We also get to pay for the building of a Nuclear reactor that "may" begin construction in the year 2065 in the State of North Carolina so I hope they get the toilet situation settled by then??

The Prison Lobby won't like this one bit..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join