It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explain the Mandella effect please someone!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hello ATS Community

I have been here reading about this for some time. Not just here but other sites aswell. I from what i gather the Mandella effect is some kind of timeline change or skip. But thats about as far as my knowledge goes on it. When i look it up i dont get anything but some mis-remembering of quotes from movies or names of shows and books. All these things could be cultural mis-rememberings or a misquote from a movie quoting another movie. So if i could get an explanation from someone as to what this phenomena is, I would greatly appreciate it.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The mysterious phenomenon of a forgetful memory.

Yep, sounds about right

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Kingj56

That somehow the past has changed and nobody knows it, except well a few that is.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It would probably be more accurate to say that you and others have somehow shifted into an alternate reality where its history is different from the history of the reality you came from. So in this case, you remember a different history as well as present.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Thats impossible, whole other Universes starting up form some undefined 'shifting' as you put it.

Every single thing on earth and in heaven on high switching to a parallel existence in a flash, but forgetting to change peoples memory about spelling in some bear cartoon.

Aha!

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   

The only really weird thing about the Mandela effect for me is that I was playing with an RPG character who actually experienced it in the game she was in years before this actually hit the conspiracy crowd.

Basically, the idea is that there are different, slightly altered realities out there for every tiny difference you can imagine. Say ... what if you actually ordered ham that one time for breakfast instead of bacon. In this case, what if Nelson Mandela has died years before he did or what if the Berenstein Bears were spelled that way instead of Berestain?

So now, instead of some detail being something you misremembered, the Mandela Effect conspiracy says that instead you were shifted into an alternate timeline or reality and for some reason, you didn't forget the way your old reality used to be.

At least me RPG character had the excuse that she had perfect memory, but in the end, it did drive her a wee bit insane.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
its best you stop your research here.
thats as much as one should know.

but its a good way to get a laugh with co workers during awkward silences in meetings while waiting for equipment to get set up by outside contractors.

posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

It is basically mass mis-remembering of facts. But some people claim that they aren't mis-remembering...that they somehow jumped into an alternate reality where their memories are true, but they don't line up with the current reality.

It gets it's name from a lot of people claiming to remember that Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 1980s, when in reality he just recently died in 2013.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Okay, the Mandela Effect is really easy to understand. It goes like this...

You go to the McDonald's drive-thru and order a Big Mac meal, medium size with a Coke. On the way home you see a billboard for a Filet of Fish, then another for Starbucks and one last billboard with a gigantic pile of chili-fries from Chili's restaurant. When you get home you open the Mickey D's bag looking for your Filet of Fish meal, super-sized fries with a coffee...only to realize you've been given a regular sized Big Mac meal with a Coke. Then, feeling like you've been duped, you get all upset about some giant conspiracy where Jupiter really orbits the Earth and causes people's brain chemistry to change...and...

Now you understand the Mandela Effect!

edit on 8/17/2016 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The way I understand the mandela effect are two different theories, the firs one involves shifting through alternate universes and the second invovles the past being changed through time travel.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:36 AM
link   
It could be a few things besides memory. There are just too many cases for faulty memory to be the end all answer. The ME is worth researching.

scientists at CERN could be binding data to particles and sending them through mini singularities, back in time, changing small bits of reality?

It could be the nemesis star system that may be approaching actually contains a replica earth where things are slightly different and for some of us our consciousness has shifted to this other earth?

The end times may have taken place and we instantly shifted to one of an infinite amount of parallel universes?

It could be a side effect of the latest advancements in quantum computing?

The rapture?

Reality may just be a computer simulation? That could easily explain the ME. The programmer is just changing things.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

lmfao.

sadly incredibly accurate.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 03:44 AM
link   

From my alternate time line we had an amazing inventor called Leonardo DiCaprio, he was also a revered artist but it seems he is just a movie star in this cesspit.

But realistically, The Mandela effect is a conspiracy rather like slender man. It all probably came from one story but has been blown out of proportion and has been given too much credence. God farts and flying cities comes to mind.

Pretty much every example given for the Mandela effect has it's basis on poor memory and like many conspiracy theories it has a lot of gullible people convinced, I'm not sure I've seen a "flash in the pan" conspiracy affect so many people, it shows the dangerous nature of gullibility.

In short it doesn't exist, no evidence exists. It is down to poor memory.

I personally wouldn't bother with it, I've seen enough to conclude it's BS but that doesn't mean things could change or I was wrong... I just don't think I am.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

It is basically mass mis-remembering of facts. But some people claim that they aren't mis-remembering...that they somehow jumped into an alternate reality where their memories are true, but they don't line up with the current reality.

It gets it's name from a lot of people claiming to remember that Nelson Mandela died in prison in the 1980s, when in reality he just recently died in 2013.

Nelson Mandella is dead???

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:35 AM
link   
If I'm allowed to quote myself from another thread:

The biggest factor in the "Mandela Effect" is memory. And right there the whole theory or "effect" tumbles right down.

People think that memory is a black and white factual process. In their minds when they recall a memory they are basically calling up a file of a memory and they flip the file open and read it as a collection of facts. This cannot be further from the truth. Every time you recall a memory you basically reconstruct the memory from scratch. And every time you access (or construct) a memory something is changed in the memory. The basic construct of the memory remains the same, but small details are changed.

And many, many, many more similar studies and facts supported by science.

So, I'm sorry to break it to those that believe the "Mandela Effect" is a real thing - but your memory is fallible. And very much so.

There is an "ME". But it's not "Mandela Effect", it's "Misinformation Effect".

It's basic neuroscience, not some woowoo absurd theory.

And further:

Let's consider the actual process (over-simplified): For example if one person claims - random example - "I recall the leaf of the Apple logo being on the left hand side." It is such a small detail that you've never really thought about it. As you read the sentence you start constructing the memory of the Apple logo.
And right there during the process of reconstruction is the moment of failure. As strong and amazing as the human brain is, it cannot store every single piece of information - sensory or otherwise. So when you try to remember something that you have seen or experienced and should be in your memory (but isn't) you reconstruct the memory from scratch with all available information. And what information was just presented to you? The leaf being on the left hand side. Lo and behold you "also" remember the leaf being on the left hand side...

And this will happen with the next guy and the next guy and the next guy that reads the sentence. But not everyone. See some folks would have information available other than the sentence you were just presented with so they will clearly remember the leaf being on the right hand side.

See - it works perfectly with minor details that can easily be manipulated. Where people have knowledge of the subject, but won't have any information available other than the statement that was just presented to them. Try the Mandela effect with something major?

"I clearly recall the sky being green."

People will call you silly because they have more information available to reconstruct the memory than just your sentence.

Show me an example of a major "Mandela Effect"? See. Confabulation.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:42 AM
link   
The mandela effect is caused by people trying to find outlandish explanations for our ADHD society that is being fueled by imperfect memory recall on ocial media/internet.

In other words it can't be that the non-verified source of information is wrong, we must be dimension-hopping!

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
It could be a few things besides memory. There are just too many cases for faulty memory to be the end all answer. The ME is worth researching.

Until they find a South African who thought Mandela died in prison, or a surgeon who thinks biology has changed faulty memory is the best answer.

The thing that people don't understand is that memories aren't stored like a DVD.
We recreate the memories each time we remember and they can be influenced by things around them.

The similar cases just show we all work the same.

FWIW, The berenstain/stein ME amazed me. I clearly "remember" it being stein.

There's a really simple explanation for why people believe in the ME.

Understanding how the brain actually works is really hard.
Claiming its aliens or time travel or CERN or something mysterious is really easy.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

I just realised where the misunderstanding between experiencer and the "reader/listener" comes from:
It is an information shift, not time.

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 06:00 AM
link   
I have to admit, one particular bible passage that has supposedly changed is interesting. I think I even remember it differently. One particular priest who was on video said he preached this phrase for decades and knew it by heart.

Its funny as hell how he explained it to the church audience.

Isaiah 11:6
And the wolf shall dwell with the lamb, And the leopard shall lie down with the kid; And the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; And a little child shall lead them.

It was supposedly "lion shall also dwell with the lamb.." or "the lion shall lie down with the lamb.."

There was also a guy saying how he had a painting of the Lion and Lamb lying together on his wall for years..

comments?

posted on Aug, 18 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   
It is when your memory turns to shift.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join