It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senior German ministers call for ban on wearing the burqa

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I'm in total agreement.
If 'the state' does not want people to hide their faces for whatever ID/control reason then it applies to everyone.
Some fairytale religion or whatever 'culture' should not get a free pass.
Tough luck if it goes against their beliefs, beliefs about such things are irrelevant when it comes down to unverifiable silly sky fairy stories.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Well I'm not a fan of the Burkha, I think it's silly and it's only a Wahhabi doctrine.

But let's say it's the woman's choice...aren't you all just as guilty of "oppression" telling these women what they "can & can't wear"?

There is a fine line between a noble gesture and hypocrisy when it comes down to this specific topic.

Anyways, banned or not, I'd rather not see it.
I think Hijabs are perfect.

Burkhas are just excessive. Choice or not.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

No, it's creepy as # seeing just a pair of eyes looking at me, how do I know they are not up to no good?
But for equality sake's I'd say if Burka's are banned then so should any other form of mask which hides the face.

Well lets be fair. No sun glasses, or caps with brims, then. Really?

A quick look at someone's hands is a better indicator than the look in their eyes. If the hands are empty then you're 'probably' safe.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
But let's say it's the woman's choice...aren't you all just as guilty of "oppression" telling these women what they "can & can't wear"?

If I can walk into banks and government offices with a ski-mask on then I have no problem with a burka.
The discrimination is clearly against anyone who doesn't believe in religious fairy tales.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yep, I'm cool with that, just against the free pass you seem to advocate for Muslims to disguise themselves and avoid facial recognition.
Explain yourself fella, why do you give them a free pass?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

How I see it, identification to the state is not the main reason that guy brought it up. Some might brush it up to NWO or creepy things going on, I don´t blame them, it´s ATS. But I can´t stress enough that there are very few people happy with the idea. The problem with those is, it´s the same with the question:

Do you use your mobilephone while driving?

Nearly everyone will answer into the direction "no", because it´s accepted that it´s dangerous and not allowed.
Still, most do it. That´s the problem that you face, when you look into a camera lense for a big TV network, either presenting yourself as a open mind or be honest and face the wrath of the public and leftists pushing you into the right corner, before millions of people and probably a few that know you.
edit on 10-8-2016 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

If I can walk into banks and government offices with a ski-mask on then I have no problem with a burka.
The discrimination is clearly against anyone who doesn't believe in religious fairy tales.

Not my point. Nice opinion though.

I was talking about oppression, not whether Islam is given free reign.

To be honest if these women are "oppressed" by their husbands/father's chances of him letting them deal with monetary issues at the bank are very highly unlikely.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Am I opressed because I can´t say "you asshole" to someone in public?
Get the drift?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Precursor to requirements for dress leading to requirements of another kind? Once before, it was the Star of David.
Even serial numbers, tattooed.

I think you are going to extremes. You can take the example down all sorts of routes, including making everyone wear pink dungarees, but try not to derail this thread.

Germany is a liberal democracy. Perhaps this proposed burka ban is a reaction to the culture clash over how women are mistreated culturally, after all in Germany women are not oppressed. The terrorism angle is legitimate, but Germany must set the parametres for integration, else it will be problematic down the line.

I guess if the new arrivals don't like it, they can go back home, or to a country that is more culturally suitable.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

Am I opressed because I can´t say "you asshole" to someone in public?
Get the drift?

You can't call someone an asshole in public?
You poor guy, if I was you'd I'd not be so worried about Burkhas and be more concerned with moving to a country with freedom of speech.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Fifty feet away one can't tell what look is in the eyes.

By the by, I live in an extreme culture melting pot called California.

I think the average response to an inflow of foreigners to the EU is hilarious.

The big bad wolf and all... lulz.

Here we have Chinese Tong gangs, Vietnamese Dragons the Latin gangs of all flavors, there's Crips, Bloods, Arians, Police, etc.

When I go outside, I don't see any of them. They shoot up certain hoods all the time, I don't have to duck bullets. But I bet EU papers are full of horror stories abut it...

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

ep, I'm cool with that, just against the free pass you seem to advocate for Muslims to disguise themselves and avoid facial recognition.

You're the one focusing on Muslims to the exclusion of all else, not me.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

ep, I'm cool with that, just against the free pass you seem to advocate for Muslims to disguise themselves and avoid facial recognition.

Urm..perhaps because Muslims are the main social demographic which has a free pass to wear disguises and avoid facial recognition.
Again, why are they special and exempt?

I pass cameras which image me multiple times every day. If I walked past them with a ski-mask on it would not be long before a 'friendly' cop would have a chat.
It is blatant discrimination and a free pass for a religious group, specifically Islam.
Why do you support that discrimination?

It's okay for a Muslim to hide their face but not me? Explain that.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I rather live here, where freedom of speech ends, where you start to insult others.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Urm..perhaps because Muslims are the main social demographic which has a free pass to wear disguises and avoid facial recognition.
Again, why are they special and exempt?

I pass cameras which image me multiple times every day. If I walked past them with a ski-mask on it would not be long before a 'friendly' cop would have a chat.
It is blatant discrimination and a free pass for a religious group, specifically Islam.
Why do you support that discrimination?

It's okay for a Muslim to hide their face but not me? Explain that.

Often times I walk around in a ski mask past cameras.

It's a special design with a monster face and two rows of very sharp teeth.
I've never been stopped.

I know my rights.

I wouldn't walk into a bank with it on, but pasty CCTV?
So what.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

We have something called "human rights".

If a country can't control it's own borders, than it's nothing more than a colony for foreigners.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I rather live here, where freedom of speech ends, where you start to insult others.

Insults are freedom of speech.

You live in a dystopian fascist state, and you're worried about Burkhas.
Get a clue, mate.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Urm..perhaps because Muslims are the main social demographic...

...villified in the media about every damn thing. The perceived enemy to justify more war, yes.

Burkas is just one indicator of that.

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego
Do I defend Ms Merkels actions, no. What´s your point?

posted on Aug, 10 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Mmmm, guess I'd better make my vacation trip to Germany before this gets passed. Both my wife and I always wear Burqua's when flying............it makes it so much easier to get through airport security.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join