It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the Opposite of Discriminate?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: Metallicus I am not sure what that is about, but I think it is probably because he lacks in the attractiveness department.

or you're the sucker spending big tips whenever you see a bit of makeup is probably the real reason

Well, I DO feel happier when I see an attractive white female so I mean I feel I am paying for the additional satisfaction of seeing someone attractive. When I see a normal person I just tip based on service only.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Metallicus

Why would you tip them for their looks and not their service? Just curious.

I do tip them for service...if they are bad and rotten to me I will not tip a normal 15%, however, if an attractive white female were to give me the exact same service as a white male I still would give the attractive female 5-10% more than the male because I feel like I had 'value added' from getting attention from the woman over a man.

Basically the experience with an attractive white female IS superior to the experience with anyone else because I enjoy it more.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
More sexism really..

Are you sure?
If Metallicus was a gay female then it wouldn't be 'sexist' it would be something else surely?
Objectifying perhaps? Visual preference discrimination?

Certainly not sexist in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Remember, "discriminating" also means. . . "having or showing refined taste or good judgment."

There it is.

To discriminate is basically drawing a distinction. The opposite is indiscriminate.

in•dis•crim•i•nate (ĭnˌdĭ-skrĭmˈə-nĭt)►

adj.
Not making or based on careful distinctions; unselective: an indiscriminate shopper; indiscriminate taste in music.
adj.
Random; haphazard: indiscriminate violence; an indiscriminate assortment of used books for sale.
adj.
Confused; chaotic: the indiscriminate policies of the previous administration.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
More sexism really..

Are you sure?
If Metallicus was a gay female then it wouldn't be 'sexist' it would be something else surely?
Objectifying perhaps? Visual preference discrimination?

Certainly not sexist in my opinion.

I have always said that if I were going to be gay I would be a lesbian.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Trying to find something when you need it is impossible isn't it? lol

Anyways, I'm sure you've heard of it but just can't recall:

favoritism.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Some would say you are discriminating against those who are men and women who are less attractive.

But then, I tend to reward waiters who do an excellent job of making sure my drink is never dry and that I never notice them making sure I have all the little things I need before I notice I need them. When I have a person waiting on me who does that, their tip is sky high no matter who they happen to be.

Would I then be discriminating against those who do not do their job as well?
edit on 1-8-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I think I would have to be thinking about giving people less for how they look. I am thinking about giving people MORE for how they look. That doesn't seem like discrimination to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Haha!
Careful, you'll be accused of being sexist again.

I think a lot of people mistake issues that are to do with sexual attraction as sexist. It is why I always throw the gay alternative.
If being served by people who you think are attractive, and that experience pleases you more than being served by people you don't then tip as you like.
All the outrage is lame, so #ing what.

I get the same crap when involved in threads where I admit my sluttish enjoyment of no-strings casual sex, while other respondents pity my shallowness. # them, who cares.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: ketsuko

I think I would have to be thinking about giving people less for how they look. I am thinking about giving people MORE for how they look. That doesn't seem like discrimination to me.

I said some would say it.

It's your money. You can tip for whatever reason you want. Personally, I don't care how awesome someone looks; if they give crap service, they may wind up with a penny at the bottom of a drink glass.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Don't think for a minute it's just you.
Attractive people do better, male or female.

www.businessinsider.com...

Human nature is hard to change.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   

That would be "indiscriminate" or "undiscriminating", depending on context.

ETA: That's in answer to your title btw...looks like you're talking about the exact opposite in your OP...
edit on 31481America/ChicagoMon, 01 Aug 2016 13:48:04 -050031pm31213America/Chicago by tigertatzen because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Well, I DO feel happier when I see an attractive white female so I mean I feel I am paying for the additional satisfaction of seeing someone attractive. When I see a normal person I just tip based on service only.

Its normal though.
Its why places like Hooters became successful. subpar food and a uninspired sportbar look while only promising young things in short shorts and tight shirts and they will come from miles around.

I also enjoy seeing pretty women..not really too fussy about the skintone, I just like good personalities and symmetry. I have preferences, but I dont...discriminate in my discrimination

but I do tip based on service. If its crap, its crap. personality to me in a waitress, attentiveness, and anticipating what I want. a cute face is a bonus that isn't factored into the tip..however, if it is a cute waitress with a good personality...I may stick around a bit longer and order a after dinner drink or two..which jacks the bill up higher and in turn makes her percent go up also.
But tbh, if it is some gamer waiter guy who is discussing cool stuff about some new thing relevant to my interests..I will hang out and yack about that also...so it all equals out somehow..if you cant visually please, mentally stimulate if possible..if not, just serve quickly and make sure I got enough to drink.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
If you don't want to discriminate, give the same tip to everyone regardless of the level of service. Otherwise you're discriminating based upon the level of service provided.

I think what you want to avoid is being prejudiced, where you size the person up at a glance and determine the tip before you even get seated.

Although it's your money, do whatever you want.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Everybody Poops Discriminates.

I don't. So 'everybody' would be incorrect.

I have waiters/waitresses/bartenders/food delivery people/ taxi drivers to tip all the time. I don't tip on looks. Some taxi drivers since I have their private number and they show up quickly, I tip more, but that is service-based.

Are you "Coke" or "Pepsi"? Do you prefer a brand of cleaner or shoe?

You're human.

You discriminate.

It's not always a bad thing.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I discriminate tipping waiting staff or taxi drivers, but solely on how much I felt their warmth and friendliness was dealing with me.
I don't care if they were just excellent actors or genuinely lovely humans, if they are good enough to fool me with their act then that deserves a good tip in itself.

The sexual attraction thing doesn't really influence my tip, but warmth and friendliness will, every time.

...just a pity that serving staff and taxi's get the monopoly on tips, while the server at the local shop on the same minimum wage get nothing extra.
Same minimum wage refuse collectors, hospital porters, care workers etc...although the bin men who serve my street always get a case of beers of every few months, they turn a blind eye to my overloaded bins and come into my high wooden gated yard to get them and put them back...I always forget on Sunday night lol

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Everybody Poops Discriminates.

I don't. So 'everybody' would be incorrect.

I have waiters/waitresses/bartenders/food delivery people/ taxi drivers to tip all the time. I don't tip on looks. Some taxi drivers since I have their private number and they show up quickly, I tip more, but that is service-based.

Are you "Coke" or "Pepsi"? Do you prefer a brand of cleaner or shoe?

You're human.

You discriminate.

It's not always a bad thing.

It's actually a good thing. Those who make generalizations on race, sexuality or class, prove themselves to be indiscriminate, precisely because they are unable to discriminate.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You know the OP is not about discrimination over race, sexuality or class though of course?

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think some of us would refer to the OP as flirting. I don't see anything else except flirting. No discrimination, no being sexist, nothing..but flirting.

All of the other posts claiming otherwise is the exact reason we're heading towards a completely PC world. Flirting is now sexist discrimination. "Do you find that lady attractive? Then you have to find EVERYONE attractive!" Just so no one gets butt hurt because they're ugly. No matter what you do someone is going to find fault in it.

My opinion, OP, is do whatever you want to do. Tip the attractive ladies, don't tip the uglies, don't help that old lady across the street, don't hold a door open for someone, don't "pay it forward, " don't save a puppy from being hit by a car. Because no matter what you do or say, someone, somewhere, is going to call you something derogatory for it.

I've personally had someone scold me for holding a door open for them because they were perfectly able to do it themselves.

posted on Aug, 1 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You know the OP is not about discrimination over race, sexuality or class though of course?

Yes. I was commenting on the dismissal of the use of discrimination, which is a precious faculty.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join